WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default sewing sleeping pads straps onto pack

I'd like to sew some sleeping pad straps to the bottom of my GoLite Pinnacle. I've been sewing (by hand, no machines) most of my life, but never gear. A few questions:

What needle/thread should I use? (and where can I buy?)

Should I sew around/into a seam, or just thru the fabric?

Thanks!

Climber, caver, camper, canoeist since 1965

If you have the "Awl fro All" by Meyers use that. If not, I'd use sailmakers twine with a needle and palm.

Instead of sewing the webbing directly to your pack you might want to consider sewing lash points instead. That way the webbing can be removed for day hikes instead of hanging down flopping.

Here's a photo of where I sewed straps onto my pack for my thru-hike. Just sewed some reinforcement patched on went through the fabric.

That pack originally started as a Kelty Moraine, but I ended up taking the pockets off and sewing mesh ones on, replacing the padded hip belt with a webbing belt, de-lidded it and sewed on a single strap, and other stuff I'm probably forgetting. I've sewn a couple of packs since then, and should have just started from scratch on that one!

Quote Originally Posted by ELi View Post
    I'd like to sew some sleeping pad straps to the bottom of my GoLite Pinnacle. I've been sewing (by hand, no machines) most of my life, but never gear. A few questions:

Thanks!
    Use either 100% nylon or 100% Polyester thread!!! (preferrably the Polyester). Cotton will rot away in short order.

Just find a heavy-duty sewing needle. I would avoid the awl - I wouldn't want to put that big of holes in my backpack! If you have trouble pushing the needle through the straps and pack, grasp the needle with needle-nose pliers to help push it through.

Seams tend to be stronger than the regular fabric. I would definitely sew on one if it was there.
    Nothing is foolproof to a talented fool.

OK. Heavy-duty needle, polyester thread, on a seam if possible (otherwise maybe sew on reinforcing patches first), then do the lash points instead of straps (good idea!)

Thanks everybody. Now, to try to find a fabric store... I wonder if Michael's would have the stuff? Fabric stores are hard to find these days.

I am looking to make some modifications to my Jam2.
    It already has some funny loops and stuff on the bottom, which I don't use.

I've always thought it would be fun to do some hand sewing projects while out in the woods.
    That way you could do some real trial and error stuff, and get in the right mindset.
    Plus you would be out in the woods. Best wishes.

Images

Thumbs up

I'd like to sew some sleeping pad straps to the bottom of my GoLite Pinnacle. I've been sewing (by hand, no machines) most of my life, but never gear. ...
    Eli, most folks can sew gear, it just may not look like a professional did it. I have sewn duffel bags, a poly-fill jacket with zip-off arms, down mitts, shorts, and even denim car seats for my old Ford Pinto bucket seats. And I promise you I'm not a seamtress!

Several of those things I got as kits from Holubar (no longer around, sadly) and sewed them on a Husqvarna heavy-duty sewing machine with a low gear (also very sadly no longer around).

You've already gotten good hints, all of which I agree with. I'm only adding not to hold yourself to too high a standard. Just jump in and try it. What's the worse that could happen?

Enjoy your sewing! And try Jo-Ann's Fabrics, if you have one in your area. That's where I get Brownie points if I go with my wife (and don't tell her, but often I like going because of the rip-stop nylon and camo and other "outdoor" and "sports" fabrics they have). If no local stores, here's an online one I've used--

Outdoor Wilderness Fabrics, Inc.

RainMan

[I]ye shall not pollute the land wherein ye are: ... Defile not therefore the land which ye shall inhabit....[/I]. Numbers 35

[url]www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker[/url]

Images

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by JAK View Post
    I've always thought it would be fun to do some hand sewing projects while out in the woods.
    Earl Shaffer did that. So did Dorothy Laker. And others. I enjoy reading old (and new) thru-hike books and often read that they did their own sewing and repairs in the woods.

RainMan

[I]ye shall not pollute the land wherein ye are: ... Defile not therefore the land which ye shall inhabit....[/I]. Numbers 35

[url]www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker[/url]

Journal Entries
    Images

I read all the posts and they are all good ideas, I suspect the material has little support for such an idea, Older packs would use a circle of material with two slots for the strap to pass though and the circle was reinforced on the other side with a simmilar circle to spread the support and prevent a rip out. Even though the pad may be light everytime you remove or put it on the stress will be on the strap connections and they need to be very strong.

Teddy Bear in a hammock HikerRanky's Avatar
    Images

Thanks!
    I too have a GoLite Pinnacle, and wanted to use the bottom of the pack as well for stowing my pad as well.

Rather than sewing on the straps, I used some 1/4" diameter bungee straps with hooks on the end. Took one end, crimped the hook through the fabric loop at the bottom of the pack, put the pad there, looped the bungee straps around the pad, and took the hook and connected it to the plastic hooks also on the bottom of the pack.

Randy

I tried the bungee idea, but haven't found bungees the proper lenght yet... plus, due to where the fabric straps & loops are located, they are pretty close to one another, and almost act as a pivot... the pad swings around down there. I thought sewing straps on would make it more secure.

oh- and thanks for the online source, Rain Man!

I had the same desire for the bottom of our granite gear packs, which are very simple (no outside zippers, pouches etc. for the most part).
    Instead of sewing the sleeping pad straps, I used buckle straps through each trekking pole loop that also went around the waist belt. The sleeping pads are put inside the straps horizontally. When I snug the buckles on the straps, they pull up tight under the packs. You cannot feel the straps or the pads as they are way above the back of the legs. I often run the straps through our crocs or sandals, allowing them to drip dry with the liquid falling onto the ground instead of running down the packs.
    When we day pack or don't need sleeping pads, I just pull the straps out. The straps cost 99 cents each - no sewing, holes in the pack and are completely adjustable. I have even carried firewood and a tent using the straps without any problem at all!

++ New Posts ++