WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

:banana Fight to keep your stuff dry

Here what i done in my fight to thing dry in my pack.
    1 Seam Sealer all the seams inside my pack
    2 clloths in compact trash bag then in drysack
    3 Sleeping Bag in compact bag then in stuff sack
    4 sleeping pad in compact bag then in stuff sack
    5 Food in waterproof stuff sack in also Br/Lu/din in their own glad gallon bags these are the freeze type
    6 Of course my Thur-hike book maps and misc. in Glad freeze gllon size bags
    My Girlfriend said this is too much But she never hike when it been raining for five days in a row. What do you guys think is this overkill i rater be safe then sorry
    Thank

Looks good to me. If you know it's not going to rain, you can skip the compactor bags for a day.
    The trail is ever winding and the party moves every night.

On a long backpacking trek w/o town trips, the best way to keep the gear dry is to wait out the rain in your shelter. If I wake up in a hard rain, well, I just stay put until it passes, which could be another 24 hours. Sit tight and read, write in your journal, listen to the radio.

If I'm caught in a mean deluge while hiking, I foot it to the nearest campsite and set up for the night. The "nearest campsite" could be a small pulloff never used or something you've stayed at before. Why walk in a hard rain? Take a break. What's the rush? A five day rain is very rare nowadays though it used to be a common occurence back in the 70s and 80s. Recently here in east TN we've had some serious long-term rains, a rarity and now it ain't raining! Time to take down the tent and move!

I think its a little overkill, but error on the side of dryness, eh?

I just line my pack with a trash compactor bag and use a pack cover, but also line my sleeping bag sack, clothes stuff sack and food bag (which aren't water proof) with small trash bags.

I always get a kick out of the boy scouts/church group kids with trash bags on the outside of thier sleeping bag sack and tied to the outside of the pack. About 10 minutes into the trip the trash bag gets all ripped to shreads.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Images

For me that is overkill, but it's your pack so be anal if you want.

I don't think it anal to make sure you have dry cloths on a cold day when it been raining all day
    read what to the the hiker in the white not to long ago he die because all his stuff was wet
    and did not have any dry stuff to chang in to and nothing hot to drink

Images

It was a joke, note the laughing face. No offense intended.

I use a garbage bag for sleeping bag and clothing, food packed in zip locks, and a pack cover. Never had serious wetting of gear in 30+ years, including some multi-day down-pours.

You asked if your method was overkill, I think it is, but to each their own.

Sounds like U have been spending a lot of time living on a leaky submarine.

Quote Originally Posted by partinj View Post
    Here what i done in my fight to thing dry in my pack.
    1 Seam Sealer all the seams inside my pack
    2 clloths in compact trash bag then in drysack
    3 Sleeping Bag in compact bag then in stuff sack
    4 sleeping pad in compact bag then in stuff sack
    5 Food in waterproof stuff sack in also Br/Lu/din in their own glad gallon bags these are the freeze type
    6 Of course my Thur-hike book maps and misc. in Glad freeze gllon size bags
    My Girlfriend said this is too much But she never hike when it been raining for five days in a row. What do you guys think is this overkill i rater be safe then sorry
    Thank
    It's a little overkill.

2. If the drysack is a drysack then you won't need the trash bag. I'm not exactly sure what product you are using here though.

A pack cover or a trashbag pack liner with some things in stuff sacks is pretty normal. Other than my sleeping bag, there's nothing inside my pack doubled up like you are doing. Now I can't remember five straight days in a row of rain, but I've been in torrential downpours where I was crawling up the trail through a waterfall and I still wouldn't have that much redundacy.

I'd say if you are worried about it that much, go with a pack cover, an inside liner, and an extra trash bag on your sleeping bag. Silnylon stuff sacks but not doubled up. You'd be well covered.
    "Sleepy alligator in the noonday sun
    Sleepin by the river just like he usually done
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea
    Call all he wanta but he can't call me..."
    Robert Hunter & Ron McKernan

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

Hammock Hanger & Backpacker WalksInDark's Avatar

When folks write that "Your Way" is overkill.........just remember at the beginning or end of the day........nobody is standing in line to have wet: food, clothes, or sleeping bag.

Hike Your Own Hike & Pack Your Own Pack!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by UpHillPuffer View Post
    When folks write that "Your Way" is overkill.........just remember at the beginning or end of the day........nobody is standing in line to have wet: food, clothes, or sleeping bag.

Hike Your Own Hike & Pack Your Own Pack!
    Read his post, this is exactly what he asked. He wanted people's opinion.

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Reynolds oven bags work great as a second layer too over the initial stuff sack for clothng and sleeping bag.
    I still would use a sil nylon pack cover, actually.

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

To each his own. Here's what I used.

-compactor bag to line my backpack
    -trashbag lining my sleeping bag stuffsack if it was guaranteed to rain
    -plastic grocery bags for my clothes and food stuffsacks. Rarely used.

The compactor bag by itself worked fine 99% of the time. Had a couple of pinholes in it one day, so a couple tablespoons found their way in. This was readily repaired with duct tape. No big deal.

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Swank View Post
    To each his own. Here's what I used.

-compactor bag to line my backpack
    -trashbag lining my sleeping bag stuffsack if it was guaranteed to rain
    -plastic grocery bags for my clothes and food stuffsacks. Rarely used.

The compactor bag by itself worked fine 99% of the time. Had a couple of pinholes in it one day, so a couple tablespoons found their way in. This was readily repaired with duct tape. No big deal.
    I was going to post something similar. Simple. Cheap. Effective.

The only caveat, is this system works better for lightweight packs that usually use less water absorbing material. If you have a traditional pack with the heavier nylon, you may want to use a pack cover. (But, even then, pack covers alway struck me as like fins on a 1950's car. )
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

Images

Your gear should definitely stay dry which is the end goal. However, I would not recommend seam sealing the pack seams because if water does get in it will stay in which defeats the purpose. Unless of course you have some sort of drain hole.

I still think pack covers (of some sort) are necessary because they keep water from getting into and on everything inside and outside the pack. It's gospel that they're not perfect so you should have some reasonable back up inside the pack; however, the pad/tent/raingear/etc strapped to the outside should be kept close to dry with the pack cover.

I used a pack cover and one compactor bag liner and kept things perfectly dry all summer. Small things that didn't go in the compactor bag were in zip locks. Everything was fine.

Images

pack cover and one trash compactor liner is all I use.

Garlic
    Images

I just use one trash compactor bag without a pack cover, but I use a silnylon pack that absorbs no water, like Mags noted. I put the sleeping bag and clothing in the plastic bag, and I let everything else get wet. I try to put my tarptent over the top of the trash bag so it sheds more water. I replace the trash bag when I replace my shoes, about every 600 miles or so. I inspect the bag for holes every couple of days, and repair it with duct tape if needed, which is very seldom. This rain protection system weighs less than one ounce. So in my mind, you have some overkill, but do you need to learn what works for you.

I had the compactor bag leak on me one time, just an ounce or so, when I packed up in a hurry and didn't fold the top of the bag over enough. The gear was fine, just human error and I'm always more careful now.
    "Throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and jump over the back fence." John Muir on expedition planning

Images

zip lock for toilet paper. I like mine dry.

Overkill? Perhaps--but there is clearly very little risk of your stuff getting wet (which appears to be your goal). And, having dry stuff certainly isn't the worst goal in the world. Sometimes dry stuff is a real life saver. The good news is that the various trash bags and compactor bags take up relatively little volume (space) and the extra weight is pretty minimal. Thus, it is basically a case of "no harm no foul". Who knows, you could run into a "Hefty" situation where you might be extremely "Glad" that you had the extra bags with you.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++