WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

I think its actually Wood's Hole Hostel, as it is Wood's Hole Shelter.
    It is Woods Hole Oceanographic Institute.

I think the trick would be to find out why the Wood family named their Hostel the Wood's Hole Hostel, rather than the Wood's Hostel. It could be that they got the name from Wood's Hole MA, and found it fitting because Hole is also used often for place names in woods, is it is place names in oceans. It could also be that there was already such a place name in Georgia, named after the family, before they even built the hostel or the shelter.

p.s. Sorry to Sly and everyone else about my posts yesterday.

Actually, it might be Woods Hole Hostel and Wood's Hole Shelter.

According to this plaque, its Wood's Hole Shelter, and the family name is Wood, nor Woods.
    http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/show...p?i=5757&c=583

However, even plaques can be wrong, and its not uncommon for the apostrophe to be added or dropped from place names from time to time. From searching the internet, most people do seem to say Woods Hole Hostel and Woods Hole Shelter, but the plaque does say it differently.

Quote Originally Posted by JAK View Post
    Actually, it might be Woods Hole Hostel and Wood's Hole Shelter.

According to this plaque, its Wood's Hole Shelter, and the family name is Wood, nor Woods.
    http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/show...p?i=5757&c=583

However, even plaques can be wrong, and its not uncommon for the apostrophe to be added or dropped from place names from time to time. From searching the internet, most people do seem to say Woods Hole Hostel and Woods Hole Shelter, but the plaque does say it differently.
    LOL... Yeah, it seems GA has a way of screwing up signs. Even the Wood's name their hostel Woods Hole, most likely meaning hole in the woods.

http://woodsholehostel.com/Home_Page.html.

Images

Ok..
    Seems i should set everyone straight.. even though this is a long lost post.. and no one will get the answer. Wood's Hole Hostel has absolutely NO correlation with Woods Hole Oceanographic Institute. When my grandparents discovered Wood's Hole in 1940.. it was called Shawnee's Hole.. after a family. We are surrounded on 3 sides by mountains and it feels like we are in a hole. Because my grandparents last name is Wood.. it became Wood's Hole.. a funny coincidence. I too think it ironic that my uncle has land next to Woods Hole, Mass.. but still no connection. Wood's Hole Shelter was built round about 1997. Minnie and Jerry Bowden had the shelter built. They wanted to donate the shelter in remembrance of my grandparents.. but shelters are No longer allowed to be named after PEOPLE.. so they decided to name it after the hostel... hence Woods Hole Shelter.
    I hope i answered everyone's questions..
    neville
    p.s. I am continuing my grandmothers tradition of running Wood's Hole
    and you can check us out at
    www.woodsholehostel.com

Images

I think I'm going to come to your hostel with only a set amount of money. Otherwise I'll blow my entire thru by spending a whole week of zeros in your sauna and getting massage therapy and smoothies and gourmet coffee!!!! (I'm so psyched right now...)
    2010 AT NoBo Thru "attempt" (guess 1,700 miles didn't quite get me all the way through ;) )
    Various adventures in Siberia 2016
    Adventures past and present!
    (and maybe 2018 PCT NoBo)

Images

I know this Post started a long time ago.. but here goes.
    Woods Hole Hostel was named Woods Hole because we are deep in a hollow.. surrounded on three sides by mountains. It feels as though you are in a HOLE. Before the Wood family lived here, it was called "Shawnee's Hole" The Roy and Tillie re-named the place, Wood's Hole.. not for the oceanographic institute.. but for the Family name.
    Later, Minnie and Jerry Bowden (a couple from Georgia) wanted to build a shelter on the AT (1997). They wanted to build it in honor of the Wood family. Originally they wanted to name the shelter after Roy Wood, however, the ATC was not allowing shelters to be named after people, so, instead they named the shelter they gave to the trail after Woods Hole Hostel.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Tarlin View Post
    The Woods Hole Oceanagraphic Institute has been around since 1930 and as far as I know, it has no connection to the Georgia shelter or the Virginia hostel.
    Yep, thats where Hooper came from in the book/movie Jaws!

Woods hole is the best.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++