WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Wookds Hole hostel and Global Warming

I just saw a documentary on NOW on PBS. It featured something called the Woods Hole Oceangraphic institue. Is this institute run by the same people that ran the Woods Hole hostel on the AT?
    Last edited by HikerRanky; 01-10-2009 at 19:52. Reason: Removed controversial topic to clarify OP Question

You're the one watching the documentary, you tell us. I highly doubt it.

Woods Hole Institute is located on Cape Cod in Ma., on the ocean, about 100 mi. From the A.T.
    Hunger, thirst, cold, fatique, your own physical and mental limitations-you'll feel all of these. This teaches you about nature, more than that, you come face to face with yourself.
    Willi Unsoeld

Different Woods Hole.
    Last edited by HikerRanky; 01-10-2009 at 19:52. Reason: Attempting to keep on topic

Teddy Bear in a hammock HikerRanky's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by hopefulhiker View Post
    I just saw a documentary on NOW on PBS. Is this institute run by the same people that ran the Woods Hole hostel on the AT?
    no.
    Last edited by HikerRanky; 01-10-2009 at 19:53.

Woods Hole Hostel VA was run by/Owned by one of Carters Administrations political appointments. He and his wife,Tilly, were very active with the Georgia ATC (hence Woods Hole Shelter) and lived in Giorgia in the winter and ran the hostel during hiking season in VA. In 06 Tilly and her granddaughter were there and I heard a rumor that the grandaughter was going/had taken over the hostell.

The Hostel land is tucked into the National forest land and if not for his connections immanent domain would have ceased them so I am not sure how things went after Tilley's death.

This is all from memory so if I missed something please post corrections. I dought any connection to the Oceangraphic institute.

The Woods Hole Oceanagraphic Institute has been around since 1930 and as far as I know, it has no connection to the Georgia shelter or the Virginia hostel.

Here is a clue that a direct connection is unlikely...
    http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/show...p?i=5757&c=583

Still, I'll bet there is still a remote connection of some kind. Their often is.

Let me set the record straight. I know people who work at the oceanigraghic institute, there is no connection between the two!
    Hunger, thirst, cold, fatique, your own physical and mental limitations-you'll feel all of these. This teaches you about nature, more than that, you come face to face with yourself.
    Willi Unsoeld

Well I got that. I just think there is always some connection, probably many, just wondering what the shortest one might be, however remote. The Wood family that the shelter is named after was donated my a family from Maine. The Woods Hole Oceanographic Institute is in Maine. That's a bit of a connection.

Here is a question. Why is it called the Woods Hole Shelter, and not just the Woods Shelter, or the Woods Family Shelter, or the Woods Gap Shelter, or something like that?

Sorry, the Bowdens probably aren't from Maine. I don't know why I thought that. There is a Dick Bowden that is connected to the Woods Hole Oceanographic Institute though. There you go. I think he's a cousin of a friend of Kevin Bacon. Also, people have eaten bacon in the Wood's Hole Shelter.

Quote Originally Posted by JAK View Post
    The Woods Hole Oceanographic Institute is in Maine.
    No, it's in Woods Hole, MA
    (part of Falmouth if I'm not mistaken)

Whoops. Sorry about that.
    http://www.whoi.edu/page.do?pid=8956

We have a mini Wood's Hole in St.Andrews New Brunswick, the St.Andrews Biological Station,
    and something a little more comparable at the Bedford Institute of Oceanograhy in Halifax/Dartmouth Nova Scotia.

So why is it the Woods Hole Shelter, if its named after a family and not a place?

Anyone?

Quote Originally Posted by JAK View Post
    So why is it the Woods Hole Shelter, if its named after a family and not a place?

Anyone?
    It's Tilly Wood from the Woods Hole Hostel. She was from GA.

Default tillie

I met Tillie when I stayed in that hostel.. She said that her family had a place at Martha's vinyard up north.. Her husband had some kind of environmental position back in the seventies.. He lived in the cabin, the hostel to study elk, which are now extinct in the region, I was wondering if maybe they founded the the Wood's hole institute up north as sort of another environmental thing....

Teddy Bear in a hammock HikerRanky's Avatar
    Images

Default Remember

That this is the Straight Forward forum...... The OP wanted to know if there is any connection between WHOI and the Woods Hole Shelter.....

Quote Originally Posted by hopefulhiker View Post
    I met Tillie when I stayed in that hostel.. She said that her family had a place at Martha's vinyard up north.. Her husband had some kind of environmental position back in the seventies.. He lived in the cabin, the hostel to study elk, which are now extinct in the region, I was wondering if maybe they founded the the Wood's hole institute up north as sort of another environmental thing....
    Well, there could be a connection. You get to the Vineyard from Woods Hole. Perhaps they they liked it and named the hostel after Woods Hole, MA.

More info on Woods Hole, MA

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Woods_Hole,_Massachusetts

The "scientific community" was started in 1871

OK, since it's Woods Hole Hostel, not Wood's Hole Hostel and it's Woods Hole, MA and not Wood's Hole, MA. I say they, Tilly and her husband(if they frequented Martha's Vineyard), borrowed the name, especially since it's similar. WHOI just happens to be in Woods Hole, same as Woods Hole Research Center. I doubt the Wood's had anything to do with founding the research institutes.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++