WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Best way to hitch in to Greensboro NC

So I am trying to plan my departure date(likely March 20th if I-40 is the road I end up using) and I know now that I might need to hitch in to Greensboro April 12. There is a chance I will be getting a ride but I need to plan on being near a good road.

Is I-40 the best mainline or is there another way farther north? Like a non interstate but still major road so that I can walk/hitch along the road rather than having to hang out at highway exits.

Or even better, does NC have any sort of decent public transportation to the point that I would be able to catch a bus from the trail somewhere over to Greensboro without paying too much cash?
    ME-VA 08
    soon to be GA-ME 09
    praying for PCT 10

Or does anybody know about greyhound stations near the trail in mid to northern NC?
    ME-VA 08
    soon to be GA-ME 09
    praying for PCT 10

Images

There's 421 that goes from Boone to Winston-Salem. From there, you can easily get on to I-40 in order to get to Greensboro. According to google maps, 421 should take you in to Greensboro.

The reason I said Boone is that it is a college town and well populated and as far as I'm aware (having a car is helpful when hiking the NC mountains) it is the only other major highway that connects aside from I-40.

There is also 77, but I've only used that to get to Damascus.

But as I said, google maps is loving 421, which is my preferred route to the mountains.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Screech View Post
    Or does anybody know about greyhound stations near the trail in mid to northern NC?
    There for sure is a Greyhound station in Asheville, NC. And in Greensboro.

Here is the whole list.

Your best bet may be finding a way to Asheville and then going Greyhound from there.

Thanks for the info. That should help. Im just not familiar enough with NC geography to feel like I would be able to figure out my best options myself.
    ME-VA 08
    soon to be GA-ME 09
    praying for PCT 10

By the way, im going to a Dead show, so it might not be hard to hitch down one of these other roads you mentioned. Ill have to look into those as options as well.
    ME-VA 08
    soon to be GA-ME 09
    praying for PCT 10

Images

Ooops, the link I provided in my first post was bad ... this should be the true map. Too many Erwins in this part of the south. If you'd believe it, I live off of Erwin Road in my city.

like the infamous said, boone is a pretty good town. and 421 is the kind of highway that might even be easy enough to each a ride one. not uncommon for someone that is leaving boone to be in it for the long haul ie, to winston or greensboro. and, boone is accessible from the roan highlands area. i've hitched from the road crossing at 19E to boone a few times.

oh, scratch all that....or, rather, take this into account too.

if you make it to the boone area, there is a twice daily bus that goes to downtown greensboro with a few stops along the way. cost is ten dollars. the PART 421 Mountaineer Express

or, there is the asheville greyhound option which is accessible from the I40 crossing, hot springs, sams gap, erwin, etc.

of course, i don't even know that it is worth all the trouble just to go to a Dead show
    Grizzly Adam

WACphotography | Blog

So TN 107-Lemon Gap goes to this 421 road eh. That will make a great second option to I-40

Is this the road type of road I could walk down and try to flag down a van full of hippies headed to a dead show, or is this some backroad and/or illegal to walk on.
    ME-VA 08
    soon to be GA-ME 09
    praying for PCT 10

That bus out of Boone seems like a sweet option.
    ME-VA 08
    soon to be GA-ME 09
    praying for PCT 10

My cousin took that bus from Greensboro to Boone twice a week last semester for classes. It's a great deal, and far cheaper than Greyhound's going to be.

I'm fine with hitching, but $10 is a pittance to not have to deal with the hassle of trying to go that distance, especially in areas where hitching isn't too common.

Don't be surprized if some other hikers want to go see The Dead and you guys can rent a car.
    The trail is ever winding and the party moves every night.

Registered User Tennessee Viking's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

You might be looking at NC421. US 421 runs over the AT at Holston Mtn near Shady Valley TN then to Boone and Winston-Salem/Greensboro.

Your nearest Greyhound stations in NC/TN will be Asheville, Knoxville, Johnson City, and Bristol.

US 421 is a major highway, an almost minor interstate with Boone, Yadkinsville, Wilkesboro, & Winston-Salem all about 20 or so miles apart.

Your easiest points to drop off trail would be at Standing Bear Farm because its right off of I40. Then Sams Gap TN/NC at old US23, which is right at I26.
    ''Tennessee Viking'
    Mountains to Sea Trail Hiker & Maintainer
    Former TEHCC (AT) Maintainer

++ New Posts ++