WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default SNP Hike, places to park car

hi - I'll put this in a new thread..I replied to the last thread too.. I am planning a SOBO short hike in SNP this summer (late July). I want to start around Route 211 (or further north) and end up near swift run (about 35 miles, 3 days). I am going to then meet my family for a vacation at nearby Massanuten resort. Since my wife can pick me up - I am looking for a place to park my car- any suggestions? Once I enter SNP near 211, can I leave the car nearby for few days - is it safe? I guess I can't leave the car outside the park there and hike in? Maybe it's safer inside. Also, any possible suggestions for a 'better' 3 day hike in SNP? Thanks!

You can leave the car in the park. Most likely safer there.
    The trail is ever winding and the party moves every night.

When Panorama was open (intersection of Skyline Drive & 211), you could have left your car there but it's closed. Perhaps you can still leave it in the portion accessed from Skyline Drive but check with the Park Service. Otherwise, park at the Pinnacles Picnic Grounds. If you don't want to take 5 miles off your hike (nor miss the side trail to Mary's Rock), then add 8 1/2 miles to your hike by parking at Elk Wallow picnic grounds to the north.

awesome - thanks for the advice! Can't wait to get down there. Until then, I'll be trekking the AT near my house (Swatara gap, Lickdale in PA).

Registered User Fat Man Walking's Avatar
    Images

Default Figured I would wade in here as I have a similar question.

I resume my section assault on the trail this summer (I know...horrible time but all I got) and hope to entice my son and a friend to join me for a couple of days at the first of the trip.

I will be starting at Loft Mountain and wanted to leave a car there and then have another car at Swift Run Gap for them to return home after taking a couple of days of hiking. I will be continuing on.

Anyway, I guess they can pretty much leave a car at Loft Mt. but was wondering about Swift Run Gap. I suppose there is a parking area near there?

Any info greatly appreciated as always.
    "Like the confluence of two streams, dreams & reality are joined, flowing as one. I know how lucky I am." - Cody GA-ME 2010

Images

I have left a car there for 2 days after getting the ok from the Ranger on duty . I gave them my cell phone# and my name and that was that. Check first with the Ranger on duty at Swift Run so they know what your plans are.
    Getting lost is a way to find yourself.

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

You can leave a car by the ranger station or there's a pulloff area on the Skyline Drive where the AT crosses on the bridge.

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

The Panorama parking area off route 211 should be open soon. The upper lot will have new restrooms, water and a pay phone. Plenty of parking there. I also understand that the lower lot will also be open. I prefer the upper lot since it is inside the park.

No problem parking at the Loft Mt. Wayside adjacent to Skyline Drive. Check with the entrance station rangers at Swift Run Gap and get their permission to park there. It should not be a problem.

Web Breaker
    PATC Supervisor of Trails

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Cookerhiker View Post
    When Panorama was open (intersection of Skyline Drive & 211), you could have left your car there but it's closed. Perhaps you can still leave it in the portion accessed from Skyline Drive but check with the Park Service. Otherwise, park at the Pinnacles Picnic Grounds. If you don't want to take 5 miles off your hike (nor miss the side trail to Mary's Rock), then add 8 1/2 miles to your hike by parking at Elk Wallow picnic grounds to the north.
    This area reopened as a comfort station. A place to poop and park your car.
    I tried to quit drinking but Captain Morgan keeps kicking Mr. Will Powers ass.

Both the lower and upper lot are open to park cars. There is a pay phone adjacent to the restroom in the upper lot. A back country permit station is no longer available in the parking lot, so you will need to get the back country permit at the Thornton Gap Entrance Station.

Web Breaker

Can I leave a car parked at Big Meadoes for a week? Should I register it w/ a ranger ?

Images

Yes. Pick up a backcountry permit at any ranger station , and document that you plan on leaving your car at Big Meadows and for how long.

It would also be a good idea to park your car at the upper parking lot by Byrd Visitor Center and walk inside and let them know that you plan on parking your car there for the week.

With the long holiday weekend coming up they may have you park on the backside of their parking lot. I have left my car there for 3 days without incident.
    Getting lost is a way to find yourself.

Images

I left my car in the lower parking lot for six days and had no problem. Also you can go up to the entrance gate and pick up your hiking registration from the ranger.
    Here is a pic of the parking lot. My car is the only one in the lot. Trail is just down the road to the left. http://appalachianpages.com/gallery/...php?photo=1490

++ New Posts ++