WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: coffee bombs

Default coffee bombs

I love a good hot cup of coffee in the morning. As part of my food preparations, I have tried several packet "tea bag" coffees. They taste alright, but when you figure the cost its near outrageous, so I been playing around with coffee filters and a can of coffee. This works pretty good.Take a coffee filter, the cheaper the better, add a teaspoon of coffee, swirl or tie the top, heat your water to boiling and drop it in, making sure the grounds don't come out. It takes about 2 minutes to make a good cup.Always looking for other ideas, which save time, weight or moneySenrab

Images

I don't drink coffee, but I have used t-sac tea bags for loose tea.

http://shop.jaxteacompany.com/tea-ac...s-c-63_65.html

When you fold down the flap and put a couple of staples in it, the tea leaves don't come out. The same thing should work for coffee.

Just another thought.

I used to take a tea ball that you can get anywhere that sells tea or coffee accesories. and fill it with coffee grounds. Worked great and easy to store

Images

use unbleached filters. the bob works.

Default coffee on AT

I have a MSR mesh filter that was expensive, but I have had it for years. I get good ground coffee, boil up a cup of water on my little wood stove, and seep the coffee in an Orikoso cup. Can't be beat.
    Uncle Tom

2007 AT GA-->ME
    2010 PCT Mex-->CAN
    Blogging at tjamrog.wordpress.com

Those techniques never worked for me; maybe it's a GSMNP thing. I have to use the bags or make it "cowboy".

Journal Entries
    Images

Tea infuses in just about anything. Coffee has a difficulty, water has to be moved though the beans. So if you are using a teabag that was "invented" for coffee you really have to give it a good stir with your spork.
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Quote Originally Posted by budforester View Post
    Those techniques never worked for me; maybe it's a GSMNP thing. I have to use the bags or make it "cowboy".
    Hoo boy. You're paying about $150.00 a pound for those "coffee in the tea bag" dealies.

Yikes!

Journal Entries
    Images

United States Patent 3879565

Abstract:
    Roasted and ground coffee is packaged in a brewing bag for use in brewing a cup of coffee in the same manner that the ordinary tea bag is used to brew a cup of tea. An effective amount of a defoaming agent such as silicones is added to the coffee to disperse foam generated within the bag and to improve the rate of extraction of the coffee material. A bag volume of from 1.9 to 2.2 times the volume of coffee avoids the necessity of a defoaming agent.

Inventors
    Einstman, William J. (Port Chester, NY)
    Rehman, Warren C. (Montvale, NJ)
    Plant, Frank M. (Beacon, NY)

Application Number:
    05/186804

Publication Date:
    04/22/1975

Filing Date:
    10/05/1971

Assignee:
    General Foods Corporation (White Plains, NY)
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by SENRABJOE View Post
    I love a good hot cup of coffee in the morning. As part of my food preparations, I have tried several packet "tea bag" coffees. They taste alright, but when you figure the cost its near outrageous, so I been playing around with coffee filters and a can of coffee. This works pretty good.Take a coffee filter, the cheaper the better, add a teaspoon of coffee, swirl or tie the top, heat your water to boiling and drop it in, making sure the grounds don't come out. It takes about 2 minutes to make a good cup.Always looking for other ideas, which save time, weight or moneySenrab
    Oh horse phooey! Just pour the coffee grounds right into the boiling pot of coffee and when it is done pour yourself a cup and add a drop of cold water and any grounds in the cup will sink to the bottom.

Best coffee there is!

Default Kanati

I too love a good cup of strong coffee and toyed around with different ways of making it. I found out from the Captain that the best way is to put the ground coffee into your pot add some water and put it on the stove or fire until it boils for a couple of minutes. Then set it aside for a couple of minutes to allow the grounds to settle. Your coffee is ready. The Captain always had a bag of Starbucks. We had some interesting conversation around the fire sipping coffee.

But as the weather warmed up. I found I could do without and only drank it when in town for resupply.

Happy hiking.

I use one of these:
    http://cli.gs/5gXbnV
    and it seems to work well. I haven't field tested it yet, but the "field test" wouldn't really present unusual circumstances, so I have no reason to believe it wouldn't function just as nicely hiking as in my kitchen. Also I've only used it for tea, and it's GREAT for tea. But it's actually MADE for coffee, with a pretty fine mesh. Still, you'll probably end up with the finer grounds passing through... I have that every single day anyway; no complaints from me.
    Sardis Thru-Hiker Club - A 6.73 miler.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by SENRABJOE View Post
    Have you considered instant coffee? It may not be the best tasting but is expedient.

nothing wrong with cowboy coffee the grounds always sink to the bottom and is the best tasting IMO

they make a light weight single serving french press. May be just the thing for a true coffee lover.

Images

I've used instant, ground in a strainer, cowboy, the "tea" bags, and the Senseo pods on the trail. My favorite was none of those - I really like Java Juice. One packet of coffee concentrate lasts me for 2 - 3 cups (I don't like really strong coffee) and flavor is excellent. I use the regular coffee one, not the flavors or decaf. The last three times I've bee in REI stores they were completely out of the regular roast coffee ones so I guess I'm not the only person who likes them. I'll have to order them online.
    "All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."

Images

I use one of these Cup.pour.ri things:

http://www.rei.com/product/638124

Love it! You have to swish it around for a minute or so but it makes a great cup of coffee.

If you want it cheap and quick just use the old Malita one cup it uses regular #2 cone shape coffee filters with your favorite coffee makes a great cup I use it all the time at home they weigh next to nothing perfect for a hiker. Just boil water and pour in.

Coghlans makes a simple little filter

http://www.campingsurvival.com/onecupcoffil.html

For a group, I bring a reusable drip basket. I just boil water in a pot, add grounds to the basket, sink it in the pot, lift and lower it about 6-8 times - done. Cheap and light for a group.
    Solo, last fall, I tried stuffing a section of my bandanna into a cup, making a liner of sorts, put in a couple of scoops of grounds, and poured in boiling water. I let it steep a few minutes, lifted out the bandanna and gave it a squeeze to get the last of the water out of the grounds. That worked fine, too, and no extra weight.
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++