WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Moccasin, 2008 Thru-hiker TrippinBTM's Avatar

Default Sleeping Bag Liner

How much do these help? That is to say, what kind of temperature protection would using one give a bag. Would a 20* bag become a 10* bag?

Images

i wouldn't go that far, but depending on what material you use, they do add some extra insulation...i think they say 5-8* at most...
    Check out my website: www.serialhiking.com

Images

My silk liner makes my 20 degree bag a much cleaner 20 degree bag....

Moccasin, 2008 Thru-hiker TrippinBTM's Avatar

good to know, thanks

Images

Thermolite liners by Sea to Summit claim to add 15*. I'd agree with 10*.
    I really like mine- I use down bags and the liner keeps the bag cleaner and allows me to layer my 15* bag for winter use. I have two of these liners and haven't been cold since I started using them. Read the reviews here:
    http://www.rei.com/product/705534 .
    "Going to the woods is going home" - John Muir

"Only by going alone in silence, without baggage, can one truely get into the heart of the wilderness" - John Muir

Skip it...save your money. Wear all your clothing instead. Why carry another 8oz to do something your jacket will do 10 times over. I own a Thermolite and would guess on it's best day 3 degrees of additional warmth and that is only because I get all worked up trying to get the stupid thing to fit right. They are not on my pack list.

Images

My theory is that your sleeping bag and liner should be good enough to keep you warm on the coldest night that you expect to encounter on your hike. That should be the plan "A".

If after that you are still cold then put on additional clothing as a last resort.

Panzer

Can I ask why it would be a "last resort"? Why carry an additional 8oz piece of gear to do what another piece of gear you are already carrying can do? redundant?

Images

I guess some people prefer not to sleep in their clothes and they are physically able to carry an additional 8 ounces without shedding too many tears. Personal preference plays a part - I find the liner to be warm and comfortable - worth its weight.
    "Going to the woods is going home" - John Muir

"Only by going alone in silence, without baggage, can one truely get into the heart of the wilderness" - John Muir

Images

I recently began carrying a Cocoon ripstop silk liner weighing just 4.7 ounces. If I can rest comfortably without resorting to my rain jacket for warmth, I'll carry an extra few ounces.

Garlic
    Images

I bought one, tried it, gave it away. I just didn't like it and didn't think it was worth it. Try it out, some people obviously like them.
    "Throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and jump over the back fence." John Muir on expedition planning

When I used my liner, I used to extend what I considered the extra warmth that I would get from wearing my clothes. The liner and the clothes had independent values to add. There's only a certain number of layers of clothes that I would find comfortable to sleep in. I'd have a jacket but I never sleep in it (barring an emergency). I only used my liner in the winter though.

I used a fleece liner and I'd say it added about 10 degrees no more to the bag rating. It was worth having as a temporary measure until I could afford a winter bag, but I've done that so I don't use it anymore.

Liners for warmth are a cheap fix to about a 10 degree problem. For me, I found that the weight penalty was high as my fleece liner weighs like 20 or 22 ounces. You get a much better return on placing that extra weight into another sleeping bag, you just have to pay for the whole bag. It helps to decide if you will be hiking regularly at the new lower temperature afforded by a new warmer bag (or not).
    "Sleepy alligator in the noonday sun
    Sleepin by the river just like he usually done
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea
    Call all he wanta but he can't call me..."
    Robert Hunter & Ron McKernan

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

Images

We have silk liners. I do stay warmer but I also get all tangled up in the thing. It gets twisted around me during the night and then when I have to get up for the midnight bush wee I have to get the thing all straightened out again so I can get back into my bag. If you sleep soundly and don't toss and turn a lot or can stay comfy in pretty much one position then I guess it would just fine for you.
    "All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."

I vote for the liner. It not only adds a little warmth, it can be used in the summer as a very light cover. but best of all it helps keep the bag clean and you just throw it in the washer with the rest of the laundry. I carried a silk liner.

Sleeveless AT '05
    http://www.trailjournals.com/sleeveless

I wouldn't suggest sleeping in a rain jacket. If warmth is an issue one would usually have atleast a vest or other insulating layer available. What I am saying is...IMHO taking off your down vest (assuming it's not dirty as heck) to get into a liner is counterproductive...but that's me...HYOH.

Default Polyester

I made our sleeping bag liners from 100% Polyester fabric purchased at Walmart in the remnants section. I spent $5 on material and 5-10 minutes on sewing. This gave me an additional 8-10 degrees more warmth for my sleeping bag than just the synthetic, zero degree, BA sleeping bag. I sleep very cold so this was extremely helpful. The weight was not an issue, it is very light.

Quote Originally Posted by Red Hat View Post
    My silk liner makes my 20 degree bag a much cleaner 20 degree bag....
    Exactly... it may add a couple of degrees, but nothing worth thinking about. It's much more of a comfort factor for me. And in the summer, I can use just the silk liner (with my sleeping bag next to me in case it gets cooler during the night).
    Don't take anything I say seriously... I certainly don't.

Quote Originally Posted by TrippinBTM View Post
    How much do these help? That is to say, what kind of temperature protection would using one give a bag. Would a 20* bag become a 10* bag?
    Roughly speaking, I would say for every pound of wool, fleece, or silk, as a liner, you would be adding the equivalent of 6oz of 600fill, or 4oz of 900fill. This would give you an extra 10degF by some standards, and 15degF, or even 20degF, by some others.

As a simple rule of thumb, I would say you gain 1degF for every ounce,
    whether it is wool, fleece, or silk.

I would favour wool, if it can be dried out. Silk for simple dirt protection.
    Adding a 2 pound wool blanket might save you having to buy a 1/2 pound
    heavier down sleeping bag, but only if you have enough room inside for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs Baggins View Post
    We have silk liners. I do stay warmer but I also get all tangled up in the thing. It gets twisted around me during the night and then when I have to get up for the midnight bush wee I have to get the thing all straightened out again so I can get back into my bag. If you sleep soundly and don't toss and turn a lot or can stay comfy in pretty much one position then I guess it would just fine for you.
    Wear silk PJs. I bet they use less material and you'd be the envy of your fellow hikers.
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

Images

Two seperate nights on the A.T. in spring I was up all night shivering. I had all my clothes on and even bought, the second time, a nalgene to boil water and put at the foot of my bag. I have a 30 degree marmot trestles bag. Normalls I stay warm enough. Both nights were in the teens. I'll carry a Thermolite reactor next time and I may even buy a 20 degree down bag. I'd rather be too hot and sleep than freezing and lose sleep.
    "Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm."
    -Churchill

http://www.flickr.com/photos/scorpiorising80/

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++