WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Default My first post in ages

June sucks in Maine. The run off, rain and questions of when/whether Mt K will open aren't worth the trouble. I didn't find the bugs to be much of a problem. My biggest problem was weather and factors outside of Maine.

Try for July. Days will still be very long.

Default 100 in June

Is a bad idea. It will likely be really wet, muddy and worst of all, the blackflies will likely be a real factor. There are people that have some pretty severe reactions to blackfly bites, like if they are bitten around an eyelid, their eyes swell shut. Try to do this hike later in the season after the blackflies have died down a bit. Why ruin what could be one of the best places of all to hike on the AT?
    Uncle Tom

2007 AT GA-->ME
    2010 PCT Mex-->CAN
    Blogging at tjamrog.wordpress.com

Call WHL and they can tell U more specifically how to get there. I enjoyed the novelty of it all. U will know what I'm referring to when U see how U get there. The last time I was there I followed signs and blue blazes.

Obviously, as others have made a point to tell U, insects and weather can be additional challenges. But, if those R the only times U can go, then do it. It's not like it's impossible. Prepare yourself. Bring plenty of bug dope, maybe head nets, long pants and shirts, and rain gear. Go in with the right atitude knowing U will have to face some additional challenges. If the only time I could go to Denali, Yellowstone, or Glacier was when it was raining or during black fly season U can bet I would still go!

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by orangebug View Post
    June sucks in Maine. The run off, rain and questions of when/whether Mt K will open aren't worth the trouble. I didn't find the bugs to be much of a problem. My biggest problem was weather and factors outside of Maine. Try for July. Days will still be very long.
    Well, I agree with the last sentence. But, come on OB, Maine, never sucks, not even in June. Well, it does come close. But whatever. I'm not prepared to quibble.

Weary

...Or is it Hiker Trash? Almost There's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by weary View Post
    Well, I agree with the last sentence. But, come on OB, Maine, never sucks, not even in June. Well, it does come close. But whatever. I'm not prepared to quibble.

Weary
    Weary,

OB has a slightly slanted view because he was forced to spend the night near Katahdin Falls in the rain! After descending in a Thunder/Hail Storm from Baxter Peak.

I can laugh about it now, but sitting in the Lean-To that night, I felt horrible for him. Was worried he fell and broke a hip or something!
    Walking Dead Bear
    Formerly the Hiker Known as Almost There

Images

WH Landing was marked pretty well last year. They went out and marked the way. It was pretty easy to follow. It's a little walk to the boat dock, but if you stay the night they will drop you off closer to trail, about a five minute walk.
    Walking Dead Bear

Default June in Maine

Knicksin2010 what the hell is that? An AT scarecrow? Looks like a scene from the latest Friday the 13 part 27 movie. Guess U had the shelter all to yourself that day? Was that U mumbling to yourself in the corner with the black flies?

Bug shirt. It was more constant swarms of mosquitoes than black flies at that point. In all honesty that was the best $8 I spent on the trail.

U poor SOB. Still in therapy over the nightmares and constant buzzing that's ringing in your ears? That's the funniest and most pathetic sh$t I've seen all day!

Quote Originally Posted by knicksin2010 View Post
    bug Ninja!
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

Images

Weary
    Maine always sucks. No one should come here ever. Waste of gas money.

Quote Originally Posted by mudhead View Post
    Maine always sucks. No one should come here ever. Waste of gas money.
    Agreed.
    WALK ON

Images

Shameful woodsy and mudhead.

Experiencing Maine sucks since 1973. By the way, loved the photo of the black fly ninja suit, and I'd say it was brand new. After wearing them for a few days that shirt would have been tinged in shades of red from swatting at the buggers!
    Uncle Tom

2007 AT GA-->ME
    2010 PCT Mex-->CAN
    Blogging at tjamrog.wordpress.com

But, come on OB, Maine, never sucks, not even in June.
    pretty obvious you've never walked the section between jo mary rd. and KIW rd. in june

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    pretty obvious you've never walked the section between jo mary rd. and KIW rd. in june

Rained the whole friggin time! Nothing like wet slate, and zero mountaintop views. I ate it twice pretty bad through here. Once I sprained my MCL, and the other time I thought I broke my wrist. The best was where the maintainers had cleared the trail for rock steps, but hadn't laid them yet, got to mud ski with my pack on!

With light colored clothes, permathrin, and deet, the bugs were bad, but not unbearable. Once it started raining 24 hours a day, you didn't see the bugs anymore either!
    Walking Dead Bear

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    I don't remember whether I've walked the whole distance in June or not. But I cleared blowdowns and cut brush every late May/June for three miles of the trail system south of White Cap for 28 years. My job was to keep the White Brook side trail, the fire wardens trail and the mile or so of AT between those two trails open.

I usually visited the area two or three times each year, sometimes just finishing my trail duties. Sometimes just fishing, or fiddleheading. or all three.

I think I know all about JUne black flies between the KI road and the Jo Mary Campground Road.

Weary

Someone earlier recommended using Permethrin...if I bought this, should I get the spray or the kind that I'd soak my clothes in? REI's website seems to suggest that the spray works for ticks and the soak works for a wider variety of pests.

Any idea which Permethrin product to buy?

Images

Quote Originally Posted by npoles91 View Post
    Someone earlier recommended using Permethrin...if I bought this, should I get the spray or the kind that I'd soak my clothes in? REI's website seems to suggest that the spray works for ticks and the soak works for a wider variety of pests.

Any idea which Permethrin product to buy?
    I suggested and I used the spray. It works for mosquitoes I can vouch that, but I also wore 100% DEET. My worst night on the trail was going outside after a shower and zero protection. Otherwise I only got swarmed at stream crossings.

I put my clothes out on my drive way, and then I sprayed one side of the clothes(shirts, pants, socks) Let it dry in the sun, and then I sprayed the other side of the clothes. Worked like a charm.

Remember light colors! My buddy in his black shirt looked like a mosquito aircraft carrier. I felt like for the most part I was just spending a typical summer night outside. A few mosquito bites, but nothing horribly crazy.

By the way to give credit where it's due. Weary gave me the idea of the light colored clothes, so thanks Weary!
    Walking Dead Bear

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
++ New Posts ++