Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Osprey packs

Question Osprey packs

I'm buying my new pack soon, and I'm wondering if any of you have experience thruhiking with Osprey women's packs? I'm pretty sure that's what I want to get, but I'm not sure what size/model. Any advice?
    "Too much civilization around here! Remember when the woods used to be woods, Harry?"

Snot 'n' Piss (S'n'P)

i am trying to get my hands on the new exos pack they just came out with for my upcoming thru attempt! i have a daypack (stratos 40) which i love, and am hoping the exos will not disappoint.

I got Osprey Aura 65 last summer and did a couple week-long hikes with it. Absolutely love it. This would be my choice for a thru. It is lightweight, lots of pockets, very comfy frame and shoulder straps. Love the ventilated backside and belt pockets (perfect size for a small digit camera). The inside of the main compartment is unusually shaped due to the frame design and needs a little getting used to in terms of packing. But after a while you can figure out how to pack everything you need into it. I am 5'6 and size medium is perfect for me.

happy trails,
    t.

I used the Osprey Talon 44 on my thru-hike. It isn't women's specific, but it is one of their lightest packs and it worked great. The women's specific packs really only change the shoulder straps and waist belt (a little). Try on a ton of backpacks and try them out before you make your final decision.

Quote Originally Posted by bonnie View Post
    i am trying to get my hands on the new exos pack they just came out with for my upcoming thru attempt! i have a daypack (stratos 40) which i love, and am hoping the exos will not disappoint.
    These guys had "some" in stock yesterday, I ordered one and it's arriving on Wed. I got the Exos 58.

http://www.gearzone.com/ProductDetai...Code=249-10508

Thanks everyone!

I'm 16" torso so I know I need the small size, but I'm not sure if I need a medium belt. My hip measurement is around 31". (If I'm measuring correctly).
    "Too much civilization around here! Remember when the woods used to be woods, Harry?"

try on both a small and a medium waistbelt. If you go with one of the heavier osprey packs like the ariel, you can get a small pack (torso) and a medium belt. You can't do that with their lighter packs because the waistbelt is built in. Go with what fits your torso though. I used these little foam squares as extra padding on my hips and they worked great.

Images

I have the Luna 65, it's a little heavier, and now it's discontinued I believe. But it's a comfy pack, it's a small size. I'm only 5'2".

Images

My wife, Dragonfly, tried on about 200 packs over the course of a year, looking for perfect fit. (Okay, I exaggerate. It was maybe 100 packs.) She ended up with an Ariel 55, which is the female version of the Aether 60. Her feeling is that the Osprey shoulder harness fits better than any other she tried. Most shoulder harnesses are too wide, so they dig into her neck, or they aren't properly curved, so they dig into other places. The Osprey harness is narrow, properly curved, and fits like it was made for her. The heat-molded hip belt also fits like it was made for her because, well, it was made for her.

The Ariel series is a little heavier than some packs out there, but fit is pretty important, too. If I had to recommend an Ariel pack for a thru-hike, I'd probably recommend the Ariel 65. That extra 10 liters will help with bulky winter gear and clothing, and a full load of food. Dragonfly can use the 55 because we hike together and share some gear. Also, she doesn't need room for a winter bag.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Images

Quote Originally Posted by mindi View Post
    Thanks everyone!

I'm 16" torso so I know I need the small size, but I'm not sure if I need a medium belt. My hip measurement is around 31". (If I'm measuring correctly).
    I have a little over a " torso and I sport an Ariel 55 in size Small. The shoulder Harness is adjustable. They use, what appears to be, bomb proof velcro to secure the shoulder harness. I LOVE this pack! The waistbelt is so comfortable and it holds loads so nice! I have LONG been drooling over the Diva for it's luxurious comfort, but mine rides like a comfortable porsche in Osprey clothes, if ya know what I mean. It's WAY less weight than the Diva. (Gregory Diva in case anyone wasn't sure)

I will have to say that I am SOLD on the Osprey packs. I have lower back issues and this pack is SO comfortable! I usually have 30lbs(4-5days food and water) or less to carry, but an option of carrying more. I don't compress my sleeping bag as much to take up any spare room(So I won't be tempted to put more crap in ;}).
    "Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm."
    -Churchill

http://www.flickr.com/photos/scorpiorising80/

Images

Default Osprey

I have the Ariel and the Aura. I used the Ariel 65 on the PCT, and it is very comfortable. I have no bad things to say about it. I did end up sending home the top pocket since I did not need the capacity, and getting a couple of hipbelt pockets.

I want to go a little lighter for this years CDT hike, so I will be using the ULA Circuit, but if I discover I need a little more winter clothing, I may end up switching back to the Ariel.

Images

I have an Aura 65 that I like real well.

I have an Ariel 55 and I love that thing. It carries like a dream. It's so comfortable I hardly know it's there, and it never throws me off balance. If you don't use the lid or the straps for it, it weighs just over 3 pounds (size small.) It's not very big, so you have to pack carefully, OTOH, it prevets you from lugging too much stuff along.

Snot 'n' Piss (S'n'P)

my exos 58 arrived yesterday and it's so light! the only thing i am unsure of now is the size--i ordered a medium (my stratos is also size M), but think i may also get the small, test em both side by side, and send one back.

there is PLENTY of room in this bag!

Snot 'n' Piss (S'n'P)

Unhappy exos not *quite* as magical as i had hoped

both of the exos 58s are going back to rei and i am headed to campmor this weekend to try out some of their packs. the issue with the exos is that the hip belt is fixed: my torso length makes me a small, but my hips make me a medium, and no matter how i adjust, the fit isn't right. i love the idea of a 2lb internal frame pack, but unf. this is not the one for me.

Hike smarter, not harder.

I think the lack of interchangable hip belts is the only bad thing about the Exos.

Mom of Future Thru-Hiker docllamacoy's Avatar
    Images

REI-Outlet has some '08 Osprey models for sale for great prices. I just got one of the Auras.
    Llama, of Doc, Llama & Coy

i just brought home an aura 50 and an aura 65 to load and test. i bought the 2009 versions b/c the mesh over the suspension seems more sturdy than the 2008 version. thus far, it looks like i can fit my gear into the aura 50 (with my thermarest on the outside). now that i've read about the exos, i'm going to order one to compare. i also have a short torso (17" or so) and the small ospreys seem to fit me better than other brands. thanks for this post!

Mindy, my wife is a mountain climber and has used or tried virtually everything on the market. She loves the Osprey which is impressive since she comes from a Arc Terryx. My best advise I can give you is to get the smallest pack you can get away with. For a tru hike 3000-3500 ci should be more than enough. You can and will ditch stuff along the way but you are stuck with your pack. If you buy the pack last you take take everything you own down to the shop and start comparing pack volumes. For our thru hike we are both carying Ospreys. Mine is 1700 Ci and hers in 2200 ci we can carry 7 days food and water with room to spare and nothing strapped to the outside of the pack. Ali

Wakapak has an mens atmos 50 and seems to like it. She tried out the 09 Ospreys and fell in love. They seem to have more support on the shoulder straps and hip belts.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++