WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

I have met numerous well behaved dogs off leash here in the west. My fool hound stays leashed at all times, except on my own property.
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by WritinginCT View Post
    Yes. But don't think that means she's on a little 6ft lead.
    On NPS land, the leash can't be more than 6 feet, I think.

That's the rule, anyway.

http://www.nps.gov/pub_aff/e-mail/pets.htm

To me, once your dog steps off your property, he should be leashed. I dont care how big, how small, what breed, etc. Not everyone likes dogs, and will have a fit even if a chihuahua comes up to them. folks have the right to enjoy themselves on an outing without your dog bouncing up to them either wanting to eat them, or greet them. Some folks just dont want to be bothered.

Plus its ANNOYING when i'm walking my dog LEASHED and someone ELSE'S dog comes running up to us because he sees my dog. The owners can NEVER control their dog. Now, i have to worry about a fight breaking out.
    I have had to pick up one of my dogs in my arms when he was younger because some dog wanted to eat him. Now he is bigger, and is of a breed that people are scared of. So guess what? If a dog runs up to us now, and my dog gets the best of him, guess who is gonna get all the crap? Me. Just because i have a "scary" breed. Seen it happen.

Keep your dogs on a leash. Because i have no problem hurting it either if need be. It wont have to worry about my dog..it needs to worry about ME.

Confectionary Based Christian Existentialist

Totally agree, Highpoint. [*]TOTALLY![/*]

Images

The best reason to leash is so your dog doesn't chase a squirrel/rabbit/raccoon off down a cove/canyon and not return because it's lost. Don't tell me your dog wouldn't do that. You only need to be wrong once to basically have killed your dog by not leashing it. Leashes are 100%.

Chase The Incredible Rocket Dog never hikes with me without a leash. We both like it. (It's a head leash, by the way, so he doesn't get jerked at the neck by accident.)

TW
    "Thank God! there is always a Land of Beyond, For us who are true to the trail..." --- Robert Service

I'm am curious. I am planning a thru hike next year, and have been looking at a lot of photo galleries on different sections of the AT. If hiking with a dog, how do you get them up some more difficult climbs, some that look almost straight up?

I've got three large dogs: a shepherd and two pyrs. when i hit the trails down here in TX they are leashed except when in the tent with me. They only get in the tent when I car camp because even with minions to help carry the load there aint no way I can lug a tent big enough for the family and three meatheads. Even if I only take one that pup is going to be on a leash. I know with absolute certainty that unless you actually touch me or one of my family these dogs won't even raise an eyebrow to you but I still keep them leashed because I know how intimidating a strange dog can be. It's not fair to other hikers...if I want them to not mess my hike up then it's only fair for me not to give them PTSD right?
    Take almost nothing I say seriously--if it seems to make no sense what so ever it's probably meant as a joke....but do treat your water!

I also leash my Black Lab when hiking and have had to lift her big ass up many ledges in the Catskills. I use treking poles so I don't hold the leash, I either clip it to a carabiner on my hip belt or just tuck it into my hipbelt. She won't pull it out.
    On one trip we stopped for a break and I took her pack off(she carries her own food/water and gear) which meant that the leash clipped to her pack was not clipped to her. She realized this and must have though I AM FREE and took off like a shot down the trail and out of sight. I though ***? Couple minutes later she comes tearing a$$ back with a stupid grin and sits down next to me. I guess she just needed to run.

Images

Turtle, you're very lucky, and I'm very happy for you that your friend came back. I have a screed (I won't redo it here, you can imagine it, perhaps) about losing your dog on the trail by unleashing it. What would you have done if she hadn't returned? This happens more than people realize, and it rarely comes out good for the dog (or the owner).

TW
    "Thank God! there is always a Land of Beyond, For us who are true to the trail..." --- Robert Service

Images

I keep my off leash untill someones around, going into towns or heading to a shelter.

Images

Default Good advice!

Quote Originally Posted by wrongway_08 View Post
    I keep my [dog] off leash untill someones around, going into towns or heading to a shelter.
    That doesn't keep your dog from running off and violates laws in some locations created to protect wildlife.

If what rickb posted earlier is correct and I haven't made the effort to verify it, a 6-foot lead employed at all times out of self respect, respect for your canine companion and others should be a standard of behavior adopted trailwide voluntarily.

Images

Erwin wont run off, doesnt cahse anything and stays by my side.

Hudson on the other hand is always on the leash, he will chase stuff.

I think the 6 foot rule is correct.

Images

Default Erwin

I would think Erwin a rare dog indeed, but I will take you at your word. Still, you may be setting a bad example for other dog owners whose dogs are not as well behaved or think them incapable of doing what dogs are more likely than not to do.

Images

Ask anyone who has hiked with Erwin, he is well behaved, Not all dogs are as good as him, like my other dog Hudson - thats why Hudson stays on a leash.

I dont have that "my dog is perfect" attitude, that is what causes problems.

Each dog is different, dog owners have to be responsible and just because Erwin might be seen off leash is no reason for another dog owner to think his dog can be off leash also.... each dog owner has to know his dogs "trust worthyness" as far as leashes go.

Bad thing is, its the dog that gets kicked when he does wrong off leash.......... it should be the owner getting a broke jaw for not knowing/protecting and training his dog properly.

Images

Had a boyfriend once that insisted he pick his own out..........
    Do one thing everyday...that makes you happy...

Images

Quote Originally Posted by boarstone View Post
    Had a boyfriend once that insisted he pick his own out..........
    Haha, now thats funny!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by wrongway_08 View Post
    Ask anyone who has hiked with Erwin, he is well behaved, Not all dogs are as good as him, like my other dog Hudson - thats why Hudson stays on a leash.

I dont have that "my dog is perfect" attitude, that is what causes problems.

Each dog is different, dog owners have to be responsible and just because Erwin might be seen off leash is no reason for another dog owner to think his dog can be off leash also.... each dog owner has to know his dogs "trust worthyness" as far as leashes go.

Bad thing is, its the dog that gets kicked when he does wrong off leash.......... it should be the owner getting a broke jaw for not knowing/protecting and training his dog properly.
    Good luck. I've known three dog owners who said, "He never did that before." Only one of them got their dog back. I hope you don't let your little guy down someday when something draws his attention. Best wishes.

TW

As far as the 6ft rule goes- On my 15ft lead I have a loop knotted just above where it clips onto her harness and another hand loop at the 6ft mark. I've never had any rangers/dog wardens/police officers (and I've encountered many in my day hiking) cite me or even comment on the lead at all. YMMV
    ~CJ aka WritinginCT

"It is never too late to be what you might have been." -George Eliot

Images

I keep my lab leashed in the deep woods merely because I hate dealing with holier than thou people. If people weren't so dramatic about things, I wouldn't keep him leashed while away from shelters or road crossings. Of course you need to keep your dog leashed when around camps, shelters, in town...I had a guy at a shelter in VA lecture me on how I was damaging the experience of hiking the AT by bringing my mangey mutt. Granted my camp was setup 100 yards down trail, and I just came up to cook dinner and use the shelter picnic table. My lab was leashed and well away from him and others at the shelter sound asleep. This guy then proceeded to pull out a generous sum of marijuana field strip a grape cigar and then roll a very large blunt. So the guy that just complained about my dog sleeping by my pack next to a tree on a leash atleast 50 feet from him, has a right to tell me whats right and wrong in the woods while he commits an actual crime?

My lab takes a daily walk with the mail man around the neighborhood. Somehow when the mailman used to show up he would jump our fence. He would then walk with Tony around the neighborhood delivering mail. Lately he's gotten to fat to jump the fence, so Tony just lets him out. Stays on the sidewalk never goes up to houses just waits at the sidewalks for him. When he's done with the route he puts him back in the fence and he stays fine until the next day.

Journal Entries
    Images

mntkngxt, - I suspect you listened to the guy and said nothing, I can't type what I would have replied, and I have been on the short end of another hiker's outspoken views of dogs, on the AT (I said nothing then because it didn't deserve a reply) Today I am far more outspoken and don't care about others drama, even if it costs me a freind or two, the dog stays.

And I am burned out with keeping a dog on a leash at all times posts, If I see horses approch or another hiker I call him back and clip him on, until they pass. The lab has been getting much better and I still use the wireless pet leash. So things are improving. What boggles my mind is the fear I sometimes see in approching hikers, and it isn't the dog! Got to make a bigger t-shirt "Harmless Hiker!"
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++