WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Silk Liner in a 20 Degree Bag...

I am departing NOBO on the 22nd of Feb and was planning on using a 20 Degree bag. Now I know it is a border line bag for such a early start but also realize I sleep very warm. Though for a little extra measure I have been considering buying a Silk Liner to give myself a little more warmth. The liner's claim 9 Degrees on top of your rating. My question is how accurate is the claim with a 20 Degee Down bag. So any of you out there who have USED a silk liner your input is appreciated. Thanks Grumpy

Images

Used it. 9 deg? No way...maybe a few degrees, and it will help keep your bag clean....
    Everywhere is walking distance if you have the time.

I hiked from GA to VA in '07 with a 20 degree synthetic bag and a silk liner. I'm a warm sleeper also, and I had maybe one or two chilly nights where I had to put on extra layers, but this was literally when there was a hard freeze and whipping winds all night. The liner is great alone for when it's too warm to zip your bag, and I also used mine as a laundry sack.
    "Too much civilization around here! Remember when the woods used to be woods, Harry?"

5-7 in my estimate, helps keep inside of bag clean, used mine as a skirt when doing laundry. I carried 2 and a wm 25 bag on several march 1st starts, but i sleep warm anyway.

I think you would need to have used it, and done some objective tests.
    Perhaps comparing a 20deg bag with one to a 10deg bag without one.

Also depends on your standard to adding 10degF of bag rating.
    Perhaps these might be considered equivalent, all adding 10degF of rating...
    4oz of 900 fill down
    6oz of 600 fill down
    8oz of synthetic fill ???
    16oz of silk, fleece, or wool liner ???
    20oz of silk, fleece, wool clothing ???

So perhaps a 4oz silk liner might add 2.5 degF, and an 8oz liner might add 5degF.

Thanks for the input... if anyone else has used the setup I would still like to hear from you...

-

loft is warmth 1/16 in liner cannot do much, better to add down jacket/fleece pants to help morning and evening than send them away and get them back at glenclif for the whites

Quote Originally Posted by George View Post
    loft is warmth 1/16 in liner cannot do much, better to add down jacket/fleece pants to help morning and evening than send them away and get them back at glenclif for the whites
    Agreed, AND it's tough walking around camp in that bag liner. Microfleece tops and bottoms might be a better investment (certainly more multi-use).
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

All things considered, warm sleeper, definitely using a new 20* bag, wearing layers to sleep, Feb 22 NOBO start, BRING the 4.5 oz silk liner to increase 5-9 * of warmth. Send it home after the Smokies.

Even, if U don't get the total 9* of additional warmth, what do U lose. Having to carry a Cocoon 4.5 oz silk liner and something that compresses to the size of two walnuts?

Lots of good advice here. I use a 20 degree synthetic and a cotton liner. On the AT, I have been to 14 degrees comfortably using my lightweight thermals, socks, and hat, and I need to sleep a little warm. I plan to start from Damascus in mid-March using the same setup, except in a hammock with either a BA insulated Air Core or Exped downmat 7 as my pad. I don't find the sleeping to be as big a problem as the getting out of the bag and getting breakfast and/or moving in below freezing temps, especially below 20.
    If you expect the temps get below 10 and/or wind chill to be a factor (usually is in Southern Apps), then you might want some other insulation (rain suit, fleece, etc.) Extra weight - yes, but your hike, your choice on comfort level.
    Rockdawg69

Caution: Falling and Rolling Rocks have the Right-of-Way!!!!

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

My son had a 20 degree with a liner and did fine from March on. The 9 degrees is debatable, but so is ratings anyway sometimes.

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    All things considered, warm sleeper, definitely using a new 20* bag, wearing layers to sleep, Feb 22 NOBO start, BRING the 4.5 oz silk liner to increase 5-9 * of warmth. Send it home after the Smokies.

No way should you send it home after the Smokies! You can get temps in the teens in April (we did, along with snow)! Esp with the high elevations at Roan mtn, etc. I would not send anything winter home until Pearisburg, VA. The liner weighs little, all things considered.

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

Valid pt. Blissful. I stand corrected. So, check the long term weather report after the Smokies and then decide if 4.5 oz is too much to carry.

Quote Originally Posted by Tinker View Post
    Agreed, AND it's tough walking around camp in that bag liner. Microfleece tops and bottoms might be a better investment (certainly more multi-use).

BINGO! And they dont twist up in your bag and try to kill you either

Just sounds like a really slippery (still) 20* bag to me.

geek

Trail Bum / Homeless Vet
    Images

I think liners are a sliding scale. If they actually did add 10 degrees of insulation it would be from 40 to 30 not 20 to 10.

I use one so my bag doesnt smell like ass and feet for eternity

can aomeone send me a link on where to find a good silk liner?? I am leaving late Feb NOBO AT with a 15* Mont-Bell Super Stretch and a Lunar Duo. Thanks in advance! Joshua
    “If one advances confidently in the direction of one's dreams, and endeavors to live the life which one has imagined, one will meet with a success unexpected in common hours.” Henry David Thoreau

I hear really good things about these http://www.nznature.co.nz/product/si...ping-bag-liner.

$34.95 USD and they come all the way from New Zealand but it includes shipping and didn't take long.

I used one for the colder start but ditched it even as it got cold again at the end. I found they tangle my feet so bad I could barely get out of my bag to go pee! In the dark it is nearly impossible to get back into the thing too. A garbage bag over the outside foot of your bag will do the same thing for 50 cents and you won't feel bad throwing it away when you do not need it. Both ways make me sweat too much.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++