WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 LastLast

Default In Maine yesterday...

Yesterday in the stretch between Grafton Notch and East B Hill Rd.:

Tree Hugger - SOBO
    Petunia - SOBO
    Topo - NOBO
    Downhill - NOBO

And others whose names I can't remember now.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Cookerhiker View Post
    Yesterday in the stretch between Grafton Notch and East B Hill Rd.:

Tree Hugger - SOBO
    Petunia - SOBO
    Topo - NOBO
    Downhill - NOBO

And others whose names I can't remember now.
    Glad to see Downhill trekking right along. I saw her At Telephone Pioneer Shelter. It was like only her second o third night of her whole trip where she was going to be in a shelter by herself.

Tonight I saw Fiddle. he had spent some time at Tony's Deli talking to his folks. I had gone north thru the filed after NY Rt 22. I met him on my way back as the lighting storm was building up. He was talking about going to Whiley when I said that Native Landscapes porch may be the better idea. Just About the time I said this the lighting got going and he made a bee line for the porch and stayed dry. He'll push on into Ct tomorrow and I hope to see him up on V when I am up there next week for my section hike from Hanover down to Bennington.

Quote Originally Posted by Tin Man View Post
    That's not much of a warm up hike.

Next time you need help hauling beer, give me a shout, neighbor.
    Quote Originally Posted by sasquatch2014 View Post
    It adds to the pack weight, at least on the way up. In past years by this time of year I have to start hauling water up to that shelter as the stream starts to fail but not this year. It is still rushing and we are getting more rain again now.
    that's nice, but i said... GIVE ME A SHOUT WHEN YOU NEED HELP HAULING BEER!

Journal Entries

Yesturday, at VT 12 Oblivious came thru at 10:50, then Gromet and Gritty at 11:50, all longbeards (NOBO's). Gromet and Gritty came down from a wet night at The Lookout and he was headed to Cloudland with a large bouquet of wildflowers for his gramma's birthday. Also, Elroy, a shortbeard (Sobo) had cowboy camped there that night.

Journal Entries

I was on a short section hike from Norwich, VT to VT Rte 12 to see if my foot could take the rigous of the trail. (It did not hold up to well, so I'm still off-trail) I crossed paths with these longbeards(NoBo's).
    Legs and 357 Magnum at Happy Hill Shelter on July 21
    Hot Pants, formerly Shades, and his wife, S'mores at VT 14, on July 22
    At Thistle Hill Shelter, Skittles, No Nails, Moonwalker, Sir Richard on July 22
    Wags and Gangsta near Cloudland Road on July 23, They reported that Rainman had ended his thru hike at Manchester, VT but Captain Ahab was still on the trail.
    Freeze and the 3 other boys and a dog were in Hanover on the July 23.
    Tank and Tanglefoot had passed thru VT 12 on July 10.
    Also, any thru hiker needing support between Killington and Norwich, VT can call Bugbite at 603-418-4088.
    LeeBo

Images

Recently had Will & Way and Mr Ed & Lightweight stay in Manchester, VT

http://www.trailjournals.com/photos.cfm?id=469692

Images

Saw three NoBo's near Pawling and there abouts. Startrek was just off RT 52 and moving strong. Ucock was pushing on into CT near Rt 22. There was another but didn't get a chance to catch his name. I know some SoBo's have been rolling through but haven't met any personally.

Journal Entries

I talked to Journey yesterday by phone. She had stayed at the Mayor's house in Unionville, NY with about 35 other thru hikers, among them Gorgonzola and Denali.

Images

I met Strider (NOBO) last night at the Peters Mtn Shelter. Nice guy from SW Va. Said he thru-hiked in 1993.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by CowHead View Post
    Ramble~on and his dad were at the Doyle Staturday and about 12 -15 hikers were on their way, I went up there scouting out my next 100 mile section hike
    ...and it was good to see you again Cowhead!
    I am in Palmerton today 7/29 with Pheonix Rising, Burning Man, Timber, Leprechaun, Swiss Cheese, Big Camera and Butt Chinz.
    I zeroed here yesterday and the vortex and thunderstorms are pointing towards a second ? Yesterday a horde headed out and it might do us well to let them hike ahead. The hostel has been full since I got here and from the register it looks like the train keeps rolling.
    "Going to the woods is going home" - John Muir

"Only by going alone in silence, without baggage, can one truely get into the heart of the wilderness" - John Muir

Very nice folks passing thru Hanover the past few days, Five Olde was full of them last night, and I look forward to seeing them again in Glencliff in a few days.

A bit of a pocket right behind them, tho, as there was a good-sized hiker bash in Manchester Center recently that backed things up a bit. Should get a little crazy here in a day or two when this next wave arrives; Ramunto's is going to be giving out a whole lot of pizza!

Michael + Laura Ryan justusryans's Avatar
    Images

Met up with Lady Slipper and Black Gum in Virginia at Brown Mountain shelter. They were headed south. Good people
    "We wanderers, ever seeking the lonelier way, begin no day where we have ended another day; and no sunrise finds us where sunset left us."

Kahlil Gibran

Images

Packadiva's were in Manchester, VT couple of days ago. They still have lots of energy!!!!!

Images

Walked with Baltimore who is on his 4th thru and gave a ride to Blacklist to the Tyringham post office which was closed the day before.

Trails are very wet in the Mass Berkshires along with record amounts of mosquitoes.

Great crowd in Glencliff tonight for Blister and Gary (Phat Chap) joint Birthday party at Hiker's Welcome hostel. Blister pulled out the stops in the kitchen, great group of folks, stopped counting at around 25. Plenty of leftovers for those who'll show up tomorrow, and a few people plan to slack back here. Beautiful day in New Hampshire (finally); there were reports of a brand new bride and groom atop Moosilauke this afternoon, which is a helluva way to spend your wedding day. Anyway, glad to see a break in the weather and I hope folks have a better time in NH than they did in Vermont, which has essentially been underwater the past few weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by Tin Man View Post
    that's nice, but i said... GIVE ME A SHOUT WHEN YOU NEED HELP HAULING BEER!
    c'mon down to PA next weekend and you can help me haul beer.

I don't feel right about sharing who's come through ATC without asking, but today a sobo did an amusing pose with a canoe paddle he's been carrying since Stratton and said it was okay to post his photo on ATC's Facebook page so I guess it would be okay to share his name here. His trail name is "Wander" and he started June 1.

We also had 1 nobo today (the last?--you never really know) and a group of northbound guys who'll be flipping to Katahdin further north.

Images

I was out for a week plus section coming south out of Hanover so some of these sightings are a bit older.

Jukebox Hero & Double Vision both NoBo were in Hanover around the 27th also on this day I saw Snarls and Audubon also NoBo. There were two SoBo's at the Pizza shop as well they were P.I. and Rootbeer Float.

I met for the first time back on the 27th a SoBo named Country Runner. He was chilling at the Happy Hill Shelter. I then saw him again a few other times the last time I saw him was Sunday 8/2 and he was pulling out from the Claredon Shelter to hit the Whistle Stop Cafe and then a run down to Manchester to hit the Green Mountain Hostel.

While having lunch on the 29th I met Hardcore, Ahab, Apache and Fly-By all NoBo they were all at the Thistle Hill Shelter and talking about hitting Hanover that day.

On the 31st While at the Stony Brook Shelter I met one SoBo named Ninja. Also there were Skeeter and Double Zipp who are both NoBo. Before I pulled out Holmes rolled in NoBo with her dog Watson This was a very wet day. Just before I hit the Inn at Long Trail I met Brown Chicken NoBo.

There were a ton of Hikers at the Inn at Long Trail on Friday Night I know I'll miss a bunch of them but the ones I recall were Baltimore Andy, Stats, Dixidog, Rattlefoot, Leon, Ewok, Mississippi, Prairie Dog and Angry Beaver

The next day up at Copper Lodge I met Ducky and Madison her dog. I had met them a while back down in Pawling so it was nice to see them again.

When taking a break at the Claredon overlook I met Wizzard, Mudbug and Catfish along with the dog Buddy all NoBo. A while after this I met Desert Fox NoBo.

The next day I met Brave Little Toaster and Frankenstine. I also met the Pack of Divas while on the trail. I met a bunch of other Nobo's this day as well but I can't recall all the names.

At the Peru Peak Shelter there was Puddgiepie and Mudslide.

The next day I had a chance to meet Bird, Limbo and Mama Bear (dog). Down at the Trail head of 11/30 I met Whispy.

While at the Spruce Peak Shelter I met Zipper a NoBo.

Images

In Hanover on Wednesday, I met Faceplant & Right On, (2 southbounders) outside the post office, reorganizing their packs. Saw them again today at the long trail festival (do believe they got a ride there. ).
    Nice people, seem to be having a good time.
    -Lillian
    AT 2010 Feb26-Aug14
    'Crash Course'

How good does a female athlete have to be before we just call her an athlete? ~Author Unknown

saw angry beaver, OG, prairie dog, ink, billy hoot, nutmeg, rocket, storm, grommet, & katchup and miss muster on Sunday in Lyme, NH... heading up Smarts mtn!

met a really nice trail maintainer, too.

Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 LastLast
++ New Posts ++