WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default AMC Crawford Notch

The AMC has listened to Jack, and many others, and is responding.

I'm told that the old Crawford Notch Hostel will be reopened by Memorial Day. It's right next to the new Highland Center.

Super news, Peaks!
    Teej

"[ATers] represent three percent of our use and about twenty percent of our effort," retired Baxter Park Director Jensen Bissell.

Images

Bet this is to keep the smelly dirty hikers and trail workers away from the high paying guests at the Highland Center. A friend of mine did trail work with the AMC last fall with free lodging and meals at Highland. Most of the Highland guests appeared to be highly offended by muddy trail workers.

Don't understand why hikers, especially "thru-hikers" need lodging, cheap or otherwise. Buncha whine asses.

http://www.myspace.com/officialbillville Mountain Dew's Avatar

Lone Wolf..... You don't understand the need for hostels ? Maybe they aren't "needed" for a hike, but they play an important role. Some of my best memory's in '03 came at hostels. Cars aren't needed either , but I bet you own one. A computer isn't "needed", but you use it anyways. See my point ?

Took a wrong turn coming down off of Mt. Washington due to the terrible signs the AMC has on the trail and didn't get into P. Notch till dark. The people at the store there were really nice. They got me a ride into the Barn hostel because hitching wasn't an option in the dark.
    THE Mairnttt...Boys of Dryland '03 (an unplanned Billville suburb)
    http://www.AT2003.com
    [email protected]
    http://www.myspace.com/hudson_hartson

Posted to another thread:
    Quote Originally Posted by weary
    The following is from an article in Wilderness Matters, the newsletter of the Maine Chapter, AMC, which went to press yesterday:

"The AMC will offer self-service, shared bunk accommodations for up to 16 people in the Shapleigh Studio building at the Highland Center, according to an announcement by Kevin Breunig, Director of Communications, Appalachian Mountain Club.
    "Breunig said the building is undergoing renovations to include showers, a pantry with refrigerator and microwave, and shared bunk space in two rooms.
    "An area outside would be designated for use of camp stoves, to comply with local fire codes. Rates will be similar to self-service hut rates and will include breakfast at the main Lodge.
    "Guests may purchase lunch and dinner separately.*The new self-service option is expected to be available by the end of June. *Members can call AMC reservations now at 603-466-2727."
    Teej

"[ATers] represent three percent of our use and about twenty percent of our effort," retired Baxter Park Director Jensen Bissell.

Images

This is good news. It's nice to have a place to clean up at the end of a long day (or weekend) before the drive home. I'll have to ride over and check it out.
    Greg P.

Sounds like squeaky wheels were greased.

Quote Originally Posted by L. Wolf
    Sounds like squeaky wheels were greased.
    At $23+ a night per person it was no doubt just a commercial decision. Identify a need you can profit from, that's the American way! 'Breakfast included at the main Lodge'? That must've slipped by the smoking jacket crowd at AMC HQ. I just can see the offended Eddie Bauer families crinkling their noses at the smelly hikers as they tip the maitre'd to be seated far away!
    The dining room:
    http://www.whiteblaze.net/gallery/sh...cat/all/page/1
    Last edited by TJ aka Teej; 06-18-2004 at 16:13. Reason: added photo link
    Teej

Quote Originally Posted by TJ aka Teej
    At $23+ a night per person it was no doubt just a commercial decision. Identify a need you can profit from, that's the American way! 'Breakfast included at the main Lodge'? That must've slipped by the smoking jacket crowd at AMC HQ. I just can see the offended Eddie Bauer families crinkling their noses at the smelly hikers as they tip the maitre'd to be seated far away!
    TJ, have you even been to the Highland Center? Yeah, some people with bucks stay there, but so did I. Trust me, I ain't rich. The folks at the Highland Center were great to me and the folks who stayed there during a blizzard in the first week of December 2003. They even gave us free use of snow shoes during the blizzard, as well as great info about local hiking and X-Country skiing, all of which we did. It was not "all about the money".

Frankly, my wife would love the place. She contracted Lyme in the early 90s, so her idea of a trip to the woods does not involve sleeping on the ground (she has a bad lower back too). The place is perfect for her and my daughter to experience the best of both worlds. Great hiking and access to the beautiful White Mountains, and comfortable accomodations with great food.

There is also no Maitre'd. There was a young thru-hiker from 2003 who they had hired, and a few other really nice local folks who I thoroughly enjoyed talking to. The night I was there, Whiteblaze's very own Peaks gave a great slideshow of his thru-hike. Thanks again Peaks!

So tell us TJ, have you stayed there, or are you just knocking the place without experiencing it?

Little Bear
    'All my lies are always wishes" ~Jeff Tweedy~

NE AT 733 of 733 miles & Long Trail End-to-End Tramper Al's Avatar
    Images

Default Whatever

Yawn. It seems some people here claim to feel disenfranchised even at a cheap hiker hostel? Please, who are you kidding? There must be better use of your time than trying to paint the AMC as the next evil empire, ad nauseum, no?

That day- and thru- hikers have another option can only be great news. Actually, $23 is slightly less than what the old hostile cost ($18), plus breakfast. On my second visit to HC 2 days ago, as a day hiker, I had that huge AYCE breakfast for $7. Sweet.

And for the record, the HC isn't even on the trail. If you don't feel you can fit in with the other human beings there, just walk on by.
    - Tramper Al

Quote Originally Posted by MOWGLI16
    So tell us TJ, have you stayed there, or are you just knocking the place without experiencing it?
    Hi Little Bear and Tramper Al,
    We visited to see an excellent photo exhibit, but at $200+ per night for the kids and I to stay it was far beyond my budget. The new area would cost us $100+, still too expensive for us. I might stop in later this month for the breakfast Al mentioned. To avoid further scoldings from you and Tramper Al, should I only comment on the hotel rates if I were able to afford them?
    thanks,
    TJ
    Teej

Quote Originally Posted by Tramper Al
    Yawn. Actually, $23 is slightly less than what the old hostile cost ($18), plus breakfast.
    Al, $23+ was just my best guess at the rate. The AMC message I quoted above only said "rates will be similar to self service huts and will include breakfast". As you know, Carter and Galehead are 23/25 dollars without breakfast. Are you a member? Perhaps you could call and find out what the rates will be?
    Hope this helps,
    TJ
    Teej

Journal Entries

Ah, TJ. You should try long distance hiking again. You forget the details. After a night in a hostel with a shower, we smell like ordinary folks again. The
    Eddie Bauer crowd just crowd around us then, eager to tell their neighbors they have met and talked to a real live thru hiker that has walked all the way from Georgia to Crawford Notch.

Weary

Hi Little Bear and Tramper Al,
    To avoid further scoldings from you and Tramper Al, should I only comment on the hotel rates if I were able to afford them?
    thanks,
    TJ
    TJ, my comments were not intended to be a scolding.
    'All my lies are always wishes" ~Jeff Tweedy~

After a night in a hostel with a shower, we smell like ordinary folks again.
    You forgot the "almost" Weary - as in "we almost smell like ordinary folks again."
    Teej

Quote Originally Posted by MOWGLI16
    TJ, my comments were not intended to be a scolding.
    I know, I was just being a wise guy. Sorry.
    Teej

Journal Entries

You forgot the "almost" Weary - as in "we almost smell like ordinary folks again."
    Well, I didn't get into all the details. That slight smell is nature's own aphrodisiac. It's what makes us long distance hikers universally proclaimed as special. It's what enabled humans to rise above other animals and replenish and control the earth.

That odor is just strong enough to awaken the sense of the primitive in the Bauer clan, a hint that a real life is possible without the accompaniment of 300 horses, the suggestion that it may be possible to fill that empty feeling that engulfs their lives -- or something like that, anyway.

Weary
    Last edited by weary; 06-18-2004 at 21:04.

Section Hiker 500 miles smokymtnsteve's Avatar
    Images

Well, I didn't get into all the details. That slight smell is nature's own aphrodisiac. It's what makes us long distance hiker universally proclaimed as special. It's what enabled humans to rise above other animals and replenish and control the earth.

That odor is just strong enough to awaken the sense of the primitive in the Bauer clan, a hint that a real life is possible without the accompaniment of 300 horses, the suggestion that it may be possible to fill that empty feeling that engulfs their lives -- or something like that, anyway.

Weary

hallelujah.
    "I'd rather kill a man than a snake. Not because I love snakes or hate men. It is a question, rather, of proportion." Edward Abbey

++ New Posts ++