WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Thread: Any Bouldering

Images

Default Any Bouldering

I am planning not necessarily a straight up 'thru' hike, but am starting at Springer and making my way towards Maine with 6 months to kill. I was wondering if anyone knew of any good Bouldering Rocks along the way or in the area of parts of the trail. I am a climbing enthusiast as well as a hiking enthusiast so I thought I might try and combine the two on this hike.

Images

Default Schubert's Gap

I don't have the A.T. milepoints, but a fun place I loved when I was a kid is hidden behind hemlocks upstream of Hertlein campsite. It's a sizeable boulder field with a slight incline and a view from the top although not as good as it once was when the trees were shorter. A much bigger boulder field is located at Hickory Run State Park.

You'll find plenty of places to play in Pennsylvania in the course of your through hike, more than you will have time and energy to explore. I suggest you be careful where you put your hands. We have venomous snakes here and they do bite if they think someone deserves it.

A Google search of bouldering just turned up all kinds of opportunities if you still desire more.

Images

You'll have lots of bouldering opportunity in NH and ME all along the trail, especially in the Mahoosucs.
    "That's the thing about possum innards - they's just as good the second day." - Jed Clampett

Supposed to be good bouldering around McAfee Knob in SW VA; I've seen boulderers at the parking area.

Images

bouldering comes and goes...some good climbing in grayson highlands...
    Check out my website: www.serialhiking.com

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by 4eyedbuzzard View Post
    You'll have lots of bouldering opportunity in NH and ME all along the trail, especially in the Mahoosucs.
    And on Katahdin

Images

Default Lehigh Gap

I would think the NOBO climb out of Lehigh Gap would qualify too.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Shades of Gray View Post
    Me too, not exciting bouldering, but certainly bouldering.

The Northern end of the "Roller Coaster" had some cliffs that a bunch of high school summer camps were using. Also, southern PA (before 30) had some rocks worth looking at.

Images

There's the Sunset Rocks trail over Little Rocky Ridge. Runs parallel to the AT starting just before Tom's Run shelters in PA, or Michaux Rd a mile farther down the AT.

McAffees Knob... I wish I had my pad and shoes when I went through there. You could spend a week there and have just scratched the surface of problems that exist.

Quote Originally Posted by chicote View Post
    McAffees Knob... I wish I had my pad and shoes when I went through there. You could spend a week there and have just scratched the surface of problems that exist.
    I mentioned McAfees earlier as I have spoken to boulders in the parking area. I don't understand your comment re "problems that exist." Could you explain?

Images

Sounds like scrambler lingo for routes.

Registered User NativePennsylvanian's Avatar
    Images

95% of people probably don't know it but Table Rock outside of Duncannon, PA is pretty big. You have to climb around under it but its worth checking out. There's a picture in my gallery for reference.

Sounds like a good way to end a hike early. When you boulder you need a buddy and a crash pad, if you didn't actually need those you were not actually bouldering.

Images

Buddy...Check, Crash Pad....not necessary, I am not looking for anything too too challenging, just something to keep up the passion.

Quote Originally Posted by Shades of Gray View Post

I don't know how much that is bouldering if you stay on the white blazes. I found by going off bushwackying/blue blazing there you can get some what closer to bouldering along with some cool views.
    21.1% Done

Quote Originally Posted by max patch View Post
    I mentioned McAfees earlier as I have spoken to boulders in the parking area. I don't understand your comment re "problems that exist." Could you explain?
    Max Patch:

"Problems" as in "Bouldering Problems" or a sequence of moves that one climbs. It's a climbing term. Just like you might have a "route" that you climb. You have a "problem" that you boulder. I hope this helps.

Quote Originally Posted by chicote View Post
    Max Patch:

"Problems" as in "Bouldering Problems" or a sequence of moves that one climbs. It's a climbing term. Just like you might have a "route" that you climb. You have a "problem" that you boulder. I hope this helps.
    Got it; had no idea that "problems" had that definition.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by slugger View Post
    I don't know how much is bouldering on the white blazes. I found by going off bushwacking/blue blazing you can get somewhat closer to bouldering along with some cool views.
    Most A.T. hikers who stick to the white route will find it sufficiently challenging. Others who seek greater thrills won't need to look long or hard. Unecessary risk-taking as was pointed out earlier could interfere with one's completing a through hike. Bouldering without a buddy off of marked trails could result in one's not getting timely medical attention.

++ New Posts ++