WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Hiking for a Benefit?

Just curious...has anyone ever hiked for a benefit? Where you got sponsored by some local organization and they got people to pledge a certain amount of money per mile you hiked, to go to a benefit of some sort?

Section Hiking Knucklehead Hooch's Avatar
    Images

Crescent City did in '06 for her site, Hike For KaTREEna.
    "If you play a Nicleback song backwards, you'll hear messages from the devil. Even worse, if you play it forward, you'll hear Nickleback." - Dave Grohl

Images

http://trekkingforacause.com

my man hell on bad wheels (aka bad news on the move) did it last year for Gilda's Club...raised over $25,000...
    Check out my website: www.serialhiking.com

Images

I hiked with a guy a few days back in 06 that was hiking for a benefit. He only made it to somewhere in Virginia (Waynesboro area I think). I guess it is good motivation to keep going, but it would suck if you made a bunch of promises and couldn't follow through.

Images

KG4FAM, Do you remember who it was? Was he hiking for some heart cause?

Images

Quote Originally Posted by snowhoe View Post
    KG4FAM, Do you remember who it was? Was he hiking for some heart cause?
    I will PM you.

Hiking for a cause you believe in is fantastic. Hiking for a random cause just to get your trip paid for....not so much. But if you are really looking for a good cause may I suggest "Rockhounds' Home for Wayward Teenage Girls"?

Images

I thought the idea of hiking for a benefit was the benefit of the charity, not the support of the hiker.

If you aren't raising money for yourself, ask if businesses/individuals will pledge an amount to contribute to <insert your favorite charity> if you complete the hike. Give them a stamped envelope with a donation form. Tell them how few of the numbers of people who start actually finish.

Then, periodically, keep them informed of your progress. If you are really committed to the charity, the businesses will often contribute their donation even if you don't finish.

Quote Originally Posted by Brett View Post
    Just curious...has anyone ever hiked for a benefit? Where you got sponsored by some local organization and they got people to pledge a certain amount of money per mile you hiked, to go to a benefit of some sort?
    Susan Baxley & Andy Grizzell did a hike last year for the Great Eastern Trail and raised over $2000. Read about it at the link below;

http://get.chattablogs.com/archives/..._and_andy.html

That was some really important funding for this new trail system. If anyone is interested in doing another hike for the Great Eastern Trail, I know it would be gratefully appreciated. Send me a PM and I can put you in touch with the officers of the Great Eastern Trail Association.
    'All my lies are always wishes" ~Jeff Tweedy~

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

Along the lines of what Mowgli said, I'd love to see more charity hikes being done for trails orgs..or even the trail itself.

Hiking for a cause is great. Hiking for the AT (or PCT,CDT, Colo Trail, etc.) and donating the money to the trail org itself would be quite cool.
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

May you live all the days of your Life - J. Swift

Also, check out the book "a Walk for Sunshine"

I'm thinking about walking for a local charity, but don't know how to get started...if anyone has suggestions or first steps to take, please PM me. Thanks for getting this thread started!

You could always do such a hike ON the GET and be the first to do so! (Think instant Earl Shaffer-dom. )

Garlic
    Images

Pickle hiked the AT a second time in '08 to raise money for ALS and breast cancer research. I walked with him and supported the cause where I could. We did it by just emailing friends, and got a good response. We also got a few donations along the trail from section hikers and townspeople we met. We printed business cards free through VistaPrint, passed them around. Actual donations as of the end of '08 were over $15,000, actually a few hundred dollars above pledges received. It felt great counting kachings! with every mile, something to tally up at the end of a long day. It was also good knowing we were raising more money than we were spending!
    "Throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and jump over the back fence." John Muir on expedition planning

Quote Originally Posted by Mercy View Post
    I thought the idea of hiking for a benefit was the benefit of the charity, not the support of the hiker.
    I already have all of my gear and finances prepared. Im not looking to have my trip payed for by someone else or to make a buck so i have a cushion when i get back. I dont worry about such things, I have what God provides for me when He sees it fit.

I have emailed the local boy scout council, which is what ive always felt strongly about helping out. I was in scouting my entire youth from tiger cubs all the way up to eagle scout in my 18th year of life( yeah i barely skidded by with my eagle project right before my birthday!) Anyway, i sent out some email to the local council to see if they wanted to get the local troops to do the leg work on getting pledges. Basically i wouldnt have any part other than doing the hike and maybe going to talk to some of the boys before and after the hike.

I just think it would be awesome if i could use this for more than just my personal spiritual journey.

Quote Originally Posted by Live the Journey View Post
    I'm thinking about walking for a local charity, but don't know how to get started...if anyone has suggestions or first steps to take, please PM me. Thanks for getting this thread started!
    my mom first said to get sponsored by a local group, for example: the towns "women's club" or Lions Club or the Moose Lodge... meaning groups that from time to time are involved in fundraising and whatnot for things or people locally that do need help. Not only do they have the experience but they would most likely do all the work as far as getting the word out and getting pledges/donations. Like i said previously I chose the Boy Scouts because i was involved my whole youth and realize how life shaping this organization can be for the kids involved.

I am hiking as a fund raiser for the Wounded Warrior Project (www.woundedwarriorproject.org) . 100% of all monies go to the charity... I am hiking regardless and wouldn't accept support even if offered by the WWP. As a retired soldier I am simply taking a planned part of my life and using it to raise some funds for what I consider a very worthy charity. I suppose the fact folks are donating on my behalf is a little more encouragement to keep moving on the bad days but I am pretty comfortable with my self drive to keep me going through it all. Only time will tell how far I get but regardless the charity wins...

Journal Entries
    Images

Im an outdoor person who hikes for the enjoyment of being outdoors and for the physical benefit.

Quote Originally Posted by garbanz View Post
    Im an outdoor person who hikes for the enjoyment of being outdoors and for the physical benefit.
    That's why they hike. It is purely a selfish cause. They just are trying to make themselves sound noble... or something.

TMOV: Their mileage obviously varies.

Images

Perhaps some really are noble... and its not purely a selfish cause.

Brett, I didn't mean to imply that you were seeking support, merely answering the post above mine that equated hiking for a benefit with support of the hiker. I hope you can meet with some of the boy scouts before the hike, and keep them abreast of your progress. You are sure to peak a little interest in, or at least provide a little education about the AT.

Go Brett!

Quote Originally Posted by Mercy View Post
    Perhaps some really are noble... and its not purely a selfish cause.

Brett, I didn't mean to imply that you were seeking support, merely answering the post above mine that equated hiking for a benefit with support of the hiker. I hope you can meet with some of the boy scouts before the hike, and keep them abreast of your progress. You are sure to peak a little interest in, or at least provide a little education about the AT.

Go Brett!
    thanx mercy, i assumed you didnt mean that, just had to clarify the fact that i am looking to do this for a completely unselfish reason. Regardless you still have some, like the self proclaimed heartless above, who have nothing better to do than say something negative about people who do have hearts and actually have an urge to give to others. Thanx again for the encouragement! GTHTM

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++