WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default 2009 AT Thru Hike Shelter Question...

I have asked a lot of questions over the past year and would like to thank all of you for being patient with my newbie status but I will be off line in a little over a week to head to PA to pick up my brother (hiking parnter) and then heading south for some shakedowns and then a late Feb start. ( So no more posts!)

Final question, one last gear purchase to make. Again, I am hiking with my brother. We both will be carrying ULA Catalysts, 15* Montbell Super Stretch's, and Therma Rest 3 season regulars. We are splitting weight on other things like first aid, cooking and all misc. stuff. We are under 30lbs with food and water now. Actually closer to 25 lbs. He is using a Six Moon Design Lunar Duo. I still need to buy a tent for myself. To me,
    camping is going to be a big part of this trip. I am considering a 3 person tent for myself to have extra space. I am looking at this REI tent http://www.rei.com/product/761895

I could split the weight up and have him carry the fly, we could switch out every now and then.. What do you all think??
    “If one advances confidently in the direction of one's dreams, and endeavors to live the life which one has imagined, one will meet with a success unexpected in common hours.” Henry David Thoreau

Images

I think a three person is way too big for one person. Remember, you'll have to find a spot to set up that tent, and a three person will have a huge footprint. I have a 2 person Squall tarptent and it is plenty big for me and all my gear. I think any 2 person tent will be plenty big enough for you and your gear.
    "It was on the first of May, in the year 1769, that I resigned my domestic happiness for a time, and left my family and peaceable habitation on the Yadkin River, in North Carolina, to wander through the wilderness of America." - Daniel Boone

There will be 1 person in your tent yet you want a 3 person tent? Why not get a queen sized air mattress, a comforter and a couple pillows too? Also if it is a tent "for yourself" why would you make your hiking partner carry the rain fly? No reason for the extra weight. I use an MSR Hubba. Plenty of headroom, easy set up, large vestibule. When they say 1,2 or 3 person tent, that is exactly what they mean. It's not like a pack of fig newtons where the recommended serving is 2 cookies. For weekend camping or car camping great. Bring the bigger tent. For a thru-hike make the right choice.

Get the contrail. More than enough room.
    The trail is ever winding and the party moves every night.

Quote Originally Posted by rockhound View Post
    There will be 1 person in your tent yet you want a 3 person tent? Why not get a queen sized air mattress, a comforter and a couple pillows too? Also if it is a tent "for yourself" why would you make your hiking partner carry the rain fly? No reason for the extra weight. I use an MSR Hubba. Plenty of headroom, easy set up, large vestibule. When they say 1,2 or 3 person tent, that is exactly what they mean. It's not like a pack of fig newtons where the recommended serving is 2 cookies. For weekend camping or car camping great. Bring the bigger tent. For a thru-hike make the right choice.
    Guess I won't tell you bout the generator...

On a serious note, I like the added space. Maybe the 2 person REI, looks very similar to the Hubba Hubba, but around a hundred bucks less. Most of the reviews seem good on it also.
    “If one advances confidently in the direction of one's dreams, and endeavors to live the life which one has imagined, one will meet with a success unexpected in common hours.” Henry David Thoreau

The lunar duo is huge, I have one and love it. You both could share that tent. It will also make cooking when tenting in the rain a lot easier if you are both in the same place. The two of you don't really need two tents. The lunar duo is plenty, trust me.

For the same price you can get a Big Agnes Seedhouse...or even stretch and track down a Copper Spur tent. You've made all the lightweight gear choices so why go waste the weight savings on a heavy tent? You should be saving those extra pounds for steaks, bacon, and booze.

Quote Originally Posted by joshua5878 View Post
    I have asked a lot of questions over the past year and would like to thank all of you for being patient with my newbie status but I will be off line in a little over a week to head to PA to pick up my brother (hiking parnter) and then heading south for some shakedowns and then a late Feb start. ( So no more posts!)

Final question, one last gear purchase to make. Again, I am hiking with my brother. We both will be carrying ULA Catalysts, 15* Montbell Super Stretch's, and Therma Rest 3 season regulars. We are splitting weight on other things like first aid, cooking and all misc. stuff. We are under 30lbs with food and water now. Actually closer to 25 lbs. He is using a Six Moon Design Lunar Duo. I still need to buy a tent for myself. To me,
    camping is going to be a big part of this trip. I am considering a 3 person tent for myself to have extra space. I am looking at this REI tent http://www.rei.com/product/761895

I could split the weight up and have him carry the fly, we could switch out every now and then.. What do you all think??
    you both should carry all your own gear. there's no guarantee you'll remain hiking partners. odds are against it

Formerly "Totem"
    Images

What happens if your brother bails / gets hurt?
    up over the hills, theres nothing to fear
    theres a pub across the way with whisky and beer
    its a lengthy journey on the way up to the top
    but it ain't so bad if you have a great big bottle o'scotch

Default That was the original plan

Quote Originally Posted by big_muddy View Post
    The lunar duo is huge, I have one and love it. You both could share that tent. It will also make cooking when tenting in the rain a lot easier if you are both in the same place. The two of you don't really need two tents. The lunar duo is plenty, trust me.
    We tried it, He is 6'4 300lbs, I am 6'2 259 lbs. He is a MASSIVE snorer, I sleep light. No earplugs would work. I don't want to wake up and have to ask him where his hands are with him to reply between 2 pillows...

He spent the night with my wife and I last year and was on the other side of the house, his snoring made my wife and I want to go outside and sleep in the car, after we drove a couple miles away...

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    you both should carry all your own gear. there's no guarantee you'll remain hiking partners. odds are against it
    That weighed heavily into the decision..

Images

So your brother agrees to carry his tent, and half the weight of yours? Can I hike with him?

You don't want to need too big a footprint, especially since you and your brother may be sharing a site.

A smaller tent will be warmer.

I carry a 2-man tent (BA) for me and my dog (70-ish lbs) I like a large vestibule.

Images

You could get a one person tent and bring a tarp to kind of make a huge vestibule. This also helps if you get caught in a torrential downpour and need to throw a tarp up real quick to wait it out. If you decide to stay in a shelter then the tarp could then be used to make a windbreak.

Quote Originally Posted by Mercy View Post
    So your brother agrees to carry his tent, and half the weight of yours? Can I hike with him?

You don't want to need too big a footprint, especially since you and your brother may be sharing a site.

A smaller tent will be warmer.

I carry a 2-man tent (BA) for me and my dog (70-ish lbs) I like a large vestibule.
    The Lunar Duo packed weight is 2lbs 6 ozs. We are splitting weight up, to try and equal things out. Bottom line is even with a 4-5 lb shelter as the second shelter we can keep both packs right about 25-27 lbs total.

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Agree, carry your own gear if you can or that you will be able to carry the cooking gear you choose if one backs out. You should have your own personal first aid kit anyway.
    I can see wanting a two person tent, just watch the weight or you will be wishing it at Neel Gap.

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

Images

i think a 3 person is major overkill, if you have the 300 to spend, look at some of the other six moon designs or look at www.tarptent.com

and like wolf said carry separate gear, unless yall've done a long section before and know that after a month yall still hike the same
    Gaiter
    homepage.mac.com/thickredhair
    web.mac.com/thickredhair/AT_Fall_07

Garlic
    Images

My buddy and I have hiked every step of 5,000 miles together, yet we still carry our own gear, including two Contrails. Grown men shouldn't have to sleep that close. Maybe that's why we still hike together. The Contrail is a very comfortable three-season tent, plenty of room for a large person plus pack. We still have problems finding campsites for both Contrails, but we seldom have to split up to camp.
    "Throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and jump over the back fence." John Muir on expedition planning

++ New Posts ++