WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Images

Exclamation DN alcohol destroys nalgene!

I have discovered that de-natured alcohol will destroy Nalgene bottles, if stored in them for long periods- I have one that I kept full for a year and it weakened to the point where I crushed it with one hand. The material became so brittle that it basically shattered with little effort. I was on a 5 day hike when I noticed the lattice of fine cracks. Thankfully, it made it through the trip! Anyone else noticed this? (I will post a picture soon)

I'd suggest the AntiGravityGear fuel container, these are awesome for fuel and even olive oil Fuel Bottle
    ad astra per aspera

Images

Are you talking about a polycarbonate Nalgene or a regular plastic one ? Being a solvent I guess in time it wouldn't matter though.
    "Going to the woods is going home" - John Muir

"Only by going alone in silence, without baggage, can one truely get into the heart of the wilderness" - John Muir

Quote Originally Posted by Smile View Post
    I'd suggest the AntiGravityGear fuel container, these are awesome for fuel and even olive oil Fuel Bottle
    Yep, looks like the same one Minibull sells.

Use a 16.5 oz coke bottle or a 20 oz they work great I have never had a problem with them.
    "When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice."

yeah I noticed the same thing - it was the regular nalgene (smaller 8 ounce bottle) not the polycarbonate - I noticed it after about 2 years of use

Images

take from me a nalgene isn't a good idea for storing denatured anyways
    it might get mixed up w/ a nalgene that has actual water in it...

also a lesson to pour your water first
    Gaiter
    homepage.mac.com/thickredhair
    web.mac.com/thickredhair/AT_Fall_07

I like the one sold at www. brasslite.com I used one for my thru hike and it worked perfectly. It has a flip top pour spout and the measuring device is part of the bottle. There's no way the wind can blow away the cap or measuing cup because they never come off the bottle in the woods. I carried it in an outside pocket and dropped the pack on it many times.

I've seen the same bottle sold in EMS stores too.

Images

Default DN alcohol destroys nalgene

Along these same lines a friend told me that you should never use DN alcohol in the MSR fuel bottles as it does something to the lining. Does anyone have an opinion on this? To me it did not sound right.

Garlic
    Images

Not only DN alcohol, but I've seen the same thing happen with liquor stored in Nalgene. I think it decomposes the plastic at rapid rate. That was before the BPA scare. I hate to think how much of that I've ingested.

I'd also heard that you should not use a metal MSR or Sigg bottle for alcohol, and always use a bottle designed for alcohol, like the bright red MSR bottle. Maybe it's something about aluminum? I always figured for one season or one hike, a water bottle would be OK. They're easy to replace. But not for long-term, I guess.
    "Throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and jump over the back fence." John Muir on expedition planning

Polycarbonate isn't great for long term storage, of anything, even water.
    Its most useful property is short term resistance to boiling water.

Polycarbonate is non-resistant to such things as gasoline, meaning fast degradation will occur. Polycarbonate has limited resistance to alcohols, and also coffee, meaning slow degradation will occur. Polycarbonate is resitant to water, at room temperature, but slow degradation will occur in water above 60degC.

Here is a table of resistance of polycarbonate sheet to various materials.
    http://www.palramhort.com/pdffiles/P...Resistance.pdf

Interestingly polycarbonate is non-resistant to alot of spices, like cloves, and allspice.
    Has anyone had problems storing some spices in plastic containers?

Quote Originally Posted by Gaiter View Post
    take from me a nalgene isn't a good idea for storing denatured anyways
    it might get mixed up w/ a nalgene that has actual water in it...

also a lesson to pour your water first

I solve this issue by putting a few drops of food coloring into my Alchohol. Then I can easily tell which is water and which is fuel.

Quote Originally Posted by Yonah Ada-Hi View Post
    I have discovered that de-natured alcohol will destroy Nalgene bottles, if stored in them for long periods- I have one that I kept full for a year and it weakened to the point where I crushed it with one hand. The material became so brittle that it basically shattered with little effort. I was on a 5 day hike when I noticed the lattice of fine cracks. Thankfully, it made it through the trip! Anyone else noticed this? (I will post a picture soon)
    That might also be sun- damage, rather than solvent. Some plastics are not stabilized to UV and they get brittle. Old milk jugs come to mind, that I've seen in dumps or around the garage.

Oh, yes, I do recall having a Nalge water bottle that got brittle and cracked... that was in a previous millenium.

CDT - 2013, PCT - 2009, AT - 1300 miles done burger's Avatar

Like Blue Wolf said, just use a 16-oz. coke bottle. I'm still storing alcohol in the same 16-oz bottle that I bought in SNP on the AT 3 years ago, and the bottle is in perfect condition. I've never had any leaks or other issues with coke bottles.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by jpanderson80 View Post
    I solve this issue by putting a few drops of food coloring into my Alchohol. Then I can easily tell which is water and which is fuel.
    i don't think that would have mattered in my case, i was talking and trying to pour, damn that doing two things at once
    Gaiter
    homepage.mac.com/thickredhair
    web.mac.com/thickredhair/AT_Fall_07

I have different colored bottles for fuel and olive oil, that saves some time too
    ad astra per aspera

Images

Quote Originally Posted by garlic08 View Post
    Not only DN alcohol, but I've seen the same thing happen with liquor stored in Nalgene. I think it decomposes the plastic at rapid rate. That was before the BPA scare. I hate to think how much of that I've ingested.

I'd also heard that you should not use a metal MSR or Sigg bottle for alcohol, and always use a bottle designed for alcohol, like the bright red MSR bottle. Maybe it's something about aluminum? I always figured for one season or one hike, a water bottle would be OK. They're easy to replace. But not for long-term, I guess.
    Does anyone know if that's the same for the flask the Nalgene makes? Especially since its liquor specific.
    The best remedy for a short temper is a long walk. ~Jacqueline Schiff

The Nalgene Flask is PET with a Polycarbonate sleeve. PET is resistant to alcohol. Not really sure what the sleeve is for. To give it a more solid feel I suppose, and I suppose you could drink water from it as a chaser.

http://www.spadout.com/p/nalgene-flask/

Garlic
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by snaplok View Post
    Does anyone know if that's the same for the flask the Nalgene makes? Especially since its liquor specific.
    I couldn't find the one I'd seen years ago, thought it was by MSR, maybe not. Here's the first specific alcohol bottle I could find on a search:

http://casanovasadventures.com/catalog/camp/p1488.htm
    "Throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and jump over the back fence." John Muir on expedition planning

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++