WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Default how do u make reservations at shelters?

hey all!-
    i was wondering how to make reservations at the shelters, huts, cabins, etc. at the places that require u to do so while u are on the trail.
    ...and which places actually require the reservation.
    is it just GSNP and the Whites?
    -help-

Images

Quote Originally Posted by phillycheze View Post
    hey all!-
    i was wondering how to make reservations at the shelters, huts, cabins, etc. at the places that require u to do so while u are on the trail.
    ...and which places actually require the reservation.
    is it just GSNP and the Whites?
    -help-
    It is a first come first serve basis on shelters

Images

Except in GSNP, where you do need to make reservations, unless you are a "thruhiker". I'll look it up and post asap.

Images

Call the Backcountry Camping office at 865-436-1230 and they will help you obtain your permits. Good luck!

Answer depends if you a thru hiker (as defined by the GSMNP) or a section hiker. In any event, any of the 3 Handbooks can give you the info if you are a thru hiker. If not, then the phone number Redhat gave will work.

If you get to a shelter in GSMNP and it's not full yet, wait around a while until it does fill up then go pitch your tent or hang your hammock. Thru-hikers are allowed to camp provided the shelter is full. Unless of course you'd rather stay in shelters, in which case be prepared to vacate if some late arriving weekenders show up at 8:00 with a reservation.

I'd recommend avoiding the AMC huts unless you want to find out what all the squawking is about for yourself like I did for one night last year. I'm fairly tolerant of most things, but waiting around over an hour for breakfast to only leave the table hungry was more than I care to deal with. That was my first and last hut experience.

Default More info

other numbers
    865-436-1297
    865-436-1231

Just called both numbers and got thru on the first one. Apparently the first is a volunteer number and the second is the number for backcountry permits.

I asked the person where I would look on their sites for specific information regarding thru hikers and shelters. She did not think there was anything in writing on the site but said that four (4) spaces are left open for thru hikers. Meaning, as I understand it, that their should be four (4) spaces open for thru-hikers - and the first four thru hikers that show up get to stay in a shelter (whether you want to not).

Was also told a supervisor would email me with more information.

Hope this helps

Quote Originally Posted by Red Hat View Post
    Call the Backcountry Camping office at 865-436-1230 and they will help you obtain your permits. Good luck!
    Right. If you are starting your hike in or around GSMNP then it behooves you to have reservations at the shelters. You'll be tied to an exact itinerary (based on the shelter spaces you've been reserved) but at least you have spaces and legal passage through the park. Call that number. The AMC has legal domain over the White Mountains and the huts. Their number is easy to find.

But, if you're planning an actual thru-hike you should avoid the temptation to make reservations at all costs. First, it'll take you about 2 weeks to get to the Smokies from Springer...so, good luck planning when you'll exactly enter the park. Also, the park is very accommodating to hikers. Many hikers prefer to use their tents instead of spending the night in a crowded shelter. Remember that at this point in the hike, many people snore.

You should also avoid paying to stay in the White Mountain hut system since there are other options of camping/staying in the huts besides the forking over the exorbitant fees. Maybe if you had a visitor coming it might make sense to stay at the huts. Anyway, I found that "croos" made sure the hikers ate better than the guests...so long as you didn't complain about helping them out with some work-for-stay. And, you won't be stuck on a schedule. A few older hikers this year were worried about competing for floor space and work for stay...so they decided to reserve spots in the huts. They were then stuck paying hundreds of dollars AND were passed by group after group of their friends. Everyone of them told me that they wished they hadn't done it.

Quote Originally Posted by rockhound View Post
    If you get to a shelter in GSMNP and it's not full yet, wait around a while until it does fill up then go pitch your tent or hang your hammock. Thru-hikers are allowed to camp provided the shelter is full. Unless of course you'd rather stay in shelters, in which case be prepared to vacate if some late arriving weekenders show up at 8:00 with a reservation.
    and this why the rules totally suck. if late arriving res holders they every right to kick out 5 thru-hikers in the rain. thru-hikers should get res's too. or the park should build a twin shelter at every site

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Thunder View Post
    You should also avoid paying to stay in the White Mountain hut system since there are other options of camping/staying in the huts besides the forking over the exorbitant fees. Maybe if you had a visitor coming it might make sense to stay at the huts. Anyway, I found that "croos" made sure the hikers ate better than the guests...so long as you didn't complain about helping them out with some work-for-stay. And, you won't be stuck on a schedule. A few older hikers this year were worried about competing for floor space and work for stay...so they decided to reserve spots in the huts. They were then stuck paying hundreds of dollars AND were passed by group after group of their friends. Everyone of them told me that they wished they hadn't done it.
    Yep, big bucks, small meal portions. I didn't understand that at all since everybody had to walk to get there. Stayed at Lake of the Clouds and didn't think I would make it to Wash. summit to buy my second breakfast.

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    and this why the rules totally suck. if late arriving res holders they every right to kick out 5 thru-hikers in the rain. thru-hikers should get res's too. or the park should build a twin shelter at every site

A little confused here. Four spaces are reserved for thru-hikers or so I was told by GSMNP personal. Where does the 5 come from?

Quote Originally Posted by ofthearth View Post
    A little confused here. Four spaces are reserved for thru-hikers or so I was told by GSMNP personal. Where does the 5 come from?
    was just a number. if 8 res holders show up after dark then 8 thru-hikers need to get out

The res. system is a bit confusing and that is why I asked the person for something in writing - to no avail at this time. As I understand it - four spaces are left open, regardless of the size of the shelter, for thru-hikers. 12 spaces - 4 for thrus. 8 spaces still 4 left open for thru-hikers. And it would seem to be as you say - that hikers with reservations are guaranteed space.

My concern is more the other way. I want to know how to avoid having to stay IN the shelter without getting hassled.

Quote Originally Posted by ofthearth View Post
    The res. system is a bit confusing and that is why I asked the person for something in writing - to no avail at this time. As I understand it - four spaces are left open, regardless of the size of the shelter, for thru-hikers. 12 spaces - 4 for thrus. 8 spaces still 4 left open for thru-hikers. And it would seem to be as you say - that hikers with reservations are guaranteed space.

My concern is more the other way. I want to know how to avoid having to stay IN the shelter without getting hassled.
    to be safe, wait until the shelter is full to set up your tent, then by the rules, it is okay to do so.

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

You don't need reservations if you are thru hiking in GSMNP or planning a work-for-stay at the AMC huts in the Whites. You do need a backcountry permit though for hiking at GSMNP. And also for Shenandoah. If you want to stay at a cabin in Shenandoah or any of the other PATC cabins, you need to make reservations. Check the PATC site). But you do need reservations for the shelters if you are section hiking the Smokies.

At the White Mtn huts, if you plan to stay for the meals and a bed, you must make reservations. If you plan on work-for-stay, you show up around 3-4 PM and ask the croo about options. All other shelters and campsites are first come, first served.

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

Did not see anyone mention the thru-hiker definition. I THINK if you state that you are starting fifty (50) miles before the GSMNP and plan on going fifty miles past the park you are a thru-hiker. In which case you fill your own form. The forms are in a box as you come down the hill and cross the road coming into Fontana. (NOBO)

this helps a little... so we're saying screw reservations in GSMNP; just get the permit and roll with the punches and always have ur tent ready.

i'm unsure on what to do in the Whites.
    i thought i read that u had to make rez.'s at all 'camping' places not just the shelters and/or huts.
    also, i thought u had to reserve in advance the work-for-stay deal too. if this is not the case and people get there before you do and fill all of the w-f-s slots, what happens next? can u tent there or have to keep walking?

Images

Something I have been tempted to try in GSMNP is a backcountry off-trail pass with the park. This makes you stay off the trail at night, but you are also not tied to any particular campsite. So if you got one you would have to stealth every night without a fire. A guy I was talking to at Soruck got one, he used it for weeks of hiking so he could go or stay where ever he want as he knocked out all 800 miles of trail in the Smokies. Rockhound would remember his name cause he stayed at Standing Bear a bunch of times and Rockhound rode to soruck with him.
    SGT Rock
    http://hikinghq.net

My 2008 Trail Journal of the BMT/AT

BMT Thru-Hikers' Guide
    -----------------------------------------

NO SNIVELING

Quote Originally Posted by phillycheze View Post
    i'm unsure on what to do in the Whites.
    i thought i read that u had to make rez.'s at all 'camping' places not just the shelters and/or huts.
    also, i thought u had to reserve in advance the work-for-stay deal too. if this is not the case and people get there before you do and fill all of the w-f-s slots, what happens next? can u tent there or have to keep walking?
    In the Whites, you can just show up at the campsites, and pay right there... no need for reservations. If you're trying to get a spot in a hut though, the only way to ensure a spot is to reserve... however hut spots cost $$$$. There sometimes are hut spots available to hikers for work-for-stay. I did work for stay at Lake of the Clouds hut, and also at Mt. Greylock down in MA. For both though, if the camp/hut is full, you have to move on, though the rules for camping off trail are pretty reasonable in the Whites... just stay a certain distance away from water or camps/huts and the trail, and you're OK.
    Don't take anything I say seriously... I certainly don't.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++