WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast
    Images

Tinker it sounds like we will be the advance party so we will need to work out the details of where and when to meet up to shuttle cars. I am thinking that since I have the wagon it may be easier to fit the gear into the back of mine and put mine down at the south end. Since it's not too long of a hike it won't really add all that much more to my drive home and it will give you a bit of a jump start on your journey back to the tiny state.

Wrongway take a look at this link and tell me if any of these spots are the road you are talking about
    http://rohland.homedns.org/AT/at_menu.aspx
    Last edited by sasquatch2014; 02-14-2009 at 09:49. Reason: added link.

Sasquatch. We may be taking Chatter's Volvo wagon, so we have more room to shuttle people and gear than my Accord coupe. If we're going to be shuttling vehicles (you and Chatter and I), we'd better be at Penmar around noon, don't you think?
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

Images

Rick,
    Seems there should be no probs for me. Heck, the doc wants me to increase my activity load. :^D I'm easily a couple of weeks ahead on the quick recovery. (go figure) So, count this idiot in with you fools. LOL And PM me more specific instructions. The only thing, I'm gonna need a ride to this stuff.

Images

Trail report (keep in mind I went sobo from Penn Mar to I 70 footbridge, 18ish miles, and not north where you will be, but it's close enough) The trail had practically no snow/ice except a little ice at water sources. A little bit of mud here or there. As we were leaving it started snowing, but wasn't sticking much. I don't know how much more we're supposed to get this week. Hope that helps.

Images

Yeah I was thinking the noon time or so that gives us plenty of time to get our act together and head up the trail. Sun is setting around 5:30 these days.

Noon at Penmar works for me.

Images

It will be good to see you again Chatter. How has the kneed been? Pretty cold this time of year to be waiting for our sorry asses at the end not like in June. The positive is the bugs should be non existant.

Yes, will be good to hook up with you and some of the other fools again.

Oh, that knee; it's been fine once I stopped twisting it in those deep crevices on the Berkshires!

It'll be good to have your dog along for the hike. Would my 10-lb. two-burner Coleman camp stove fit in his pack?

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Chatter View Post
    Yes, will be good to hook up with you and some of the other fools again.

Oh, that knee; it's been fine once I stopped twisting it in those deep crevices on the Berkshires!

It'll be good to have your dog along for the hike. Would my 10-lb. two-burner Coleman camp stove fit in his pack?
    Not sure that there will be room he already will be carrying my Turkey Deep Fryer.

Quote Originally Posted by sasquatch2014 View Post
    Not sure that there will be room he already will be carrying my Turkey Deep Fryer.
    That's TOO funny!!!!!

I hope you've got enough turkey for the bunch! .

OF UTMOST IMPORTANCE!!!!!

WHO'S BRINGING THE COFFEE??????????????

Last trip I brought the organic shade grown fresh ground Costa Rican dolphin safe tree hugging politically correct brew.

Oh, I forgot, FREE TRADE, too.

Hammocks this trip? Chatter and I will be using ours.

I would like to make a move to institute a tradition for these POF trips: Each one bring a favorite treat to share with the others.

I'll volunteer the coffee again.

No more 3#s of marinated meat - ruins my image as an ultralighter.
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

Pot luck backpacking, I like this idea.

Images

Updated 2-16-2009
    Parade Of Fools, North bound from Pen-Mar Park on MD/PA border.
    - Rocky area.

1) - Penmar Park, Mapquest - The park address is 11400 Pen Mar High Rock Rd, Cascade MD 21719. Directions: from Waynesboro Center Square, go 2.7 miles East on PA Rte 16, go past Midvale light, at the "Y" keep right onto Old Rte 16, at 3.1 miles turn right onto Pen Mar Rd, to Pen Mar Park at 5.2 miles. - http://www.mapquest.com/maps/map.adp...=MD&country=us
    - Leave on Sunday Feb 22nd at 12 noon for the early group.
    - Leave at 4pm for the late group.
    Hike 8.5 miles North to Tumbling Run Shelters (AKA Snore/No Snore Shelters). This will allow Peanut to join us and be able to leave Sunday night from the shelter area.

2) Monday 23rd, hike 12.4 miles to Quarry Gap Shelter.

3) Tuesday 24th, Hike 11.9 miles to Tumbling Run Game preserve road and our cars.

I am planning this off of the maps and thru-hiker book, so if anyone has a better end point for ending the hike and picking up our vehicles, let us know!

Whos in:
    LATE (4pm) GROUP:
    - Wrongway (& Erwin the dog) (443-536-8106)

EARLY (12 noon) GROUP:
    - Powder River
    - Daks
    - Sasquatch (& Hank the dog)
    - river 1
    - Peanut for the first day
    - Tinker
    - Chatter
    - Baltimore Andy (443-804-1513)

REMEBER: We need cell phone numbers of those going, if you dont want to post it, please PM it to everyone going. Thanks. If you dont and are late, you might be playn catch up

Quote Originally Posted by sasquatch2014 View Post
    Went out with him again today went from Rt 22 up to the Telephone Pioneer Shelter and back. Had to check on my section and clear it after the last wind storm. One blow down up in the old field I think that I'll just leave it and move the trail around it in the field. Hank did well. Crashed hard when we got home but is now getting a second wind and wants to play. It was a 6.2 in just under 3 hrs with a 20 min break at the shelter with a bunch of icy spots so we kept a pretty good pace.
    Would you like to borrow a tent for you and Hank, or are you good to go?

Images

Wrongway

Remember M&M and me from Traildays. Wish I could join you and Peanut but will have it sit this one out. It is great to see you here on White blaze. Have a good hike.
    Pootz 07

Quote Originally Posted by wrongway_08 View Post
    Updated 2-16-2009
    Parade Of Fools, North bound from Pen-Mar Park on MD/PA border.
    - Rocky area.

1) - Leave on Sunday Feb 22nd at 12 noon for the early group.
    - Leave at 4pm for the late group.
    Hike 8.5 miles North to Tumbling Run Shelters (AKA Snore/No Snore Shelters). This will allow Peanut to join us and be able to leave Sunday night from the shelter area.

2) Monday 23rd, hike 12.4 miles to Quarry Gap Shelter.

3) Tuesday 24th, Hike 11.9 miles to Tumbling Run Game preserve road and our cars.

I am planning this off of the maps and thru-hiker book, so if anyone has a better end point for ending the hike and picking up our vehicles, let us know!

Whos in:
    LATE (4pm) GROUP:
    - Wrongway (& Erwin the dog) (443-536-8106)

EARLY (12 noon) GROUP:
    - Daks
    - Sasquatch (& Hank the dog)
    - river 1
    - Peanut for the first day
    - Tinker
    - Chatter
    - Baltimore Andy (443-804-1513)

REMEBER: We need cell phone numbers of those going, if you dont want to post it, please PM it to everyone going. Thanks. If you dont and are late, you might be playn catch up
    Wrongway, will you or Peanut do me a favor and snap a picture of the Mason-Dixon line sign and e-mail to me. I need it for my journal and future PP slide show. Thanks a bunch.

Images

Will do, if it's there. I don't know about you, but when we went through in June, it wasn't there anymore. Hopefully it was replaced.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Tinker View Post
    Would you like to borrow a tent for you and Hank, or are you good to go?
    Sorry for not touching base with you about this sooner but yes if we could borrow your tent that would be great. I can't believe that I am going to be ground dwelling. Damn dog better appreciate this.

Hey gang,

Sasquatch talked to me about this hike and I might be going! Problem is I need to leave monday afternoon for work, so I might do an out and back hike. I would park at Penmar, hike to tumbling run and then hike back the next day. The other option would be to do some hiking on my own on Saturday, and be at Penmar by noon. I'd have to figure out the logistics on that one though. Sounds exciting though! Count me in.
    "I always told you I was more of a Westerner than an Easterner"
    -Theodore Roosevelt

Appalachian Trail 2008

Colorado Trail 2010

Oh hey Sasquatch, I have a 4lb, 3 season, 2 man tent you can use. If the logistics don't work out since I would be leaving early, you could just hold onto it for a while. It needs some use anyways.
    -Theodore Roosevelt

Appalachian Trail 2008

Colorado Trail 2010

Quote Originally Posted by Kanati View Post
    Wrongway, will you or Peanut do me a favor and snap a picture of the Mason-Dixon line sign and e-mail to me. I need it for my journal and future PP slide show. Thanks a bunch.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/95146814@N00/2837743006/

This is all that's left of the sign I'm 'fraid. Unless of course they've replaced it, but I would guess that any new sign wouldn't last long. Something like that would look real good hangin up next to a portrait of President Davis.
    -Theodore Roosevelt

Appalachian Trail 2008

Colorado Trail 2010

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast
++ New Posts ++