WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Former Admin

Default Cloud Pond Lean-to

Info, questions, comments, experiences (good or bad) regarding - Cloud Pond Lean-to

Past hikers - what can future hikers expect here? Have any good stories or memories from here?

Future hikers - any questions?

Warwick, NY - 3 miles from Wildcat Shelter on AT
    Images

Stayed at this shelter on Friday evening Sept. 5, 2003 in the Barren/Chairback Range in the Hundred Mile Wilderness in Maine. Remote scenic location off on a .3 mile spur trail. Pretty pond. One mouse got into my pack and chewed a hole into a container of Yoo-hoo. But did not make any holes into my pack and climbed out using my arm when I brought my pack down in the morning and dug in to get something. Maybe due to the distance off the AT, we had the shelter to ourselves and only two other backpackers were camped at the site. I recommend this shelter as a good place to stay overnight in a traverse of the Barren/Chairback range. Cloud Pond Lean-to photo
    Aaron

Images

I stayed here on the night of July 10, 2008. No one stays here because it is almost .4 off the trail. The walk down is not bad and the pond is really nice. I had the place to myself and set my tent up in the shelter to avoid the bugs and in case of more rain. Dried out all my gear, cooked a nice dinner, and had a nice rest.

Images

Nice enough shelter. Long walk at the end of a hard day for me. Shared with 3 section hikers. Pretty place.
    Turtle2

nice moose

geek

As in "dessert" not "desert"

I saw no moose there. But despite distance off trail, it is a good place to stock up on water after the climb up Barren Mountain, since the next water is the stream out of West Chairback, another three or four miles, if I recall correctly. I suppose if you're not thirsty, moving on is an option, but if camping in leantos, it is a far preferable campsite to Chairback Gap.

Images

In August 2005 I arrived at Cloud Pond after a 20 mile SOBO day. 30 minutes later my four Kiwi friends (Marg, Alan, Milke, and Jungle Girl (Vanessa)) arrived and then the skies let loose and it rained most of the night very heavily. The morning broke to beautiful sun and mist lifting off the water. Quite a sight. Worth the walk in.

Stopped in here in '75 for water and a rest when section hiking 100 mile wilderness having left a very crowded Chairback Gap LT. Plan on staying here in '010'. Like the others said, very pretty and quiet, nice pond.

This is one a the few places that I would say is worth the .4 mile trek.

All I remember is 3 old dudes raisin the roof snoring. . . had to get up and move my tent in the miccle of the night. . . it's pretty down there but a long way down at the end of a long day. . . . haven't stayed there since. . .

Images

Quote Originally Posted by cheeks View Post
    This is one a the few places that I would say is worth the .4 mile trek.
    Completely agree with this. It's a wonderful spot for camping.

At the end of the day it seemed more like .5 or .6 but who cares!!!

++ New Posts ++