WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Smith killings

1,630 miles and counting earlyriser26's Avatar
    Images

Default Smith killings

I am hiking the section where R. smith killed 2 hikers back in 1981? and saw conflicting posts on where the murders took place. I read Carr's book Murder on the appalachian trail at the time and thought the murders occured at Wapiti I and not the new Wapiti II shelter. I've read several posts on this and some insist it was the wasn't the old Wapiti 1, but the new shelter. Does anyone know for sure?
    There are so many miles and so many mountains between here and there that it is hardly worth thinking about

It's in their section, they might have the most reliable info: http://www.ratc.org/index.htm

Wapitti II

Images

Default Really Lone Wolf?

Not according to the ATC guidebook for SW VA. Page 42. "original shelter was torn down after two hikers were killed there in May 1981" Wapit II was the relocated shelter. Is the guidebook wrong?
    There are so many miles and so many mountains between here and there that it is hardly worth thinking about

Images

Quote Originally Posted by earlyriser26 View Post
    Not according to the ATC guidebook for SW VA. Page 42. "original shelter was torn down after two hikers were killed there in May 1981" Wapit II was the relocated shelter. Is the guidebook wrong?

Could Lone Wolf be wrong A 1 in 25 chance.
    Rambler

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ARambler View Post
    Could Lone Wolf be wrong A 1 in 25 chance.
    Rambler
    Or possibly the reverse.

Default Wapiti II Shelter

Murders took place at Wapiti II. I'm pretty sure the shelter was a year or less old. I spent the night there in 1980 on my thru hike. But can't recall if I slept at the new or old shelter. It was torn down and another one built nearby at a later date.

Default Wapiti II

You can also checkout my post concerning the murders under the shelters section.

Quote Originally Posted by john gault View Post
    It's in their section, they might have the most reliable info: http://www.ratc.org/index.htm
    FWIW,
    I don't know the answer to the original question, but according to the above website the Wapiti shelter was built in 1980, I'm pretty sure the murders happened in 1981.

(Note: They -- The RATC -- does not designate the Wapiti shelter as number one{I} or two {II}, they just call it Wapiti).

It was the old Wapiti, the new Wapiti was full of thru hikers that night, Sue actually ran off a little ways from the shelter, and was pursued. I only know this from what my folks later told me as she was a friend of the family

Images

Quote Originally Posted by weary View Post
    Or possibly the reverse.
    Just to be clear, I was trying to agree with Lone Wolf on this thread (as well as a few other times in his last 20000 posts). I would think LW would know, and he is not as old as me so his memory should be better. Too bad, people reading the facts and who are closely involved disagree.

I think this was the couple from the Little Red School in Maine, and they may have become separated when one went to the other shelter. I remember the murder was at the new shelter, but I could be wrong.
    Rambler

Journal Entries
    Images

Images

Again, the new ATC guide to SW VA on pg 42 states that Wapiti II was built to replace Wapiti I (where the murders took place). I also recall, maybe wrongly, in Carr's book, Murder on the Appalachian trail, that they occured at Wapiti 1. LW and Rick Hancock, what are your sources? I could be wrong about my memory of the book, but don't think so. Also, the ATC thinks the murders happened at Wapiti 1.

Early Riser 26
    Sorry, I just now saw your post. I spent the night at Wapiti I in the spring of 1980 while thru-hiking. The following year 1981 Robert Mountford and Susan Ramsey were killed at Wapiti II. It was a fairly new shelter less than a year old, in fact the forest crew that saw Ramsey there with who they thought was Smith (he stayed in the shadows of the shelter) were inspecting their handy work as some of them had helped build it. After they left the rest is speculation, Mountford arrived sometime later, most feel that Smith acted alone, he came back in the night and shot Mountford 2-3 times in the head then attacked Ramsey beat her with a piece of rebar and stabbing her several times. The shelter floorboards were removed as evidence, the rebar was found in the firepit hair and blood would have been burned off but it matched the depressions in her skull. I believe they tore the shelter down some years back and built another one near the location they might have also called it Wapiti II, I'm not sure about that as I haven't hiked in that area in some years. In 1980 there was another shelter north of Wapiti and before Perisburg can't recall the name, maybe Doc's Knob or Soy Scout shelter, their friend had spent the night at this shelter, never heard a thing and expected to meet them in Perisburg. For a complete history see the shelter section of Whiteblaze.

Perhaps the ATC perpetuates the myth that the murders happened at Wapiti I so that people aren't uneasy about staying at Wapiti II. Some people might have trouble sleeping in that shelter knowing that the floorboards are soaked with blood.

Images

Default Watipi

yes he killed the hikers in 1981 at WATIPI 1.0, however he was released under some mental health stipulations and lived in pearisburg for the past ten years until he went back out to dismal creek and shot two more fishermen after eating dinner with them around a campfire. after brandishing a pistol and shooting both fishermen, he stole there truck and fled the scene and was involved in i high speed chase and flipped the truck both men survived the shooting. this happend just a day after i stayed at watipi 2.0. it was all over the news and i incourage you to look it up and read the details...it happend maybe 2 years ago i cant remember

QUOTE=earlyriser26;764972]I am hiking the section where R. smith killed 2 hikers back in 1981? and saw conflicting posts on where the murders took place. I read Carr's book Murder on the appalachian trail at the time and thought the murders occured at Wapiti I and not the new Wapiti II shelter. I've read several posts on this and some insist it was the wasn't the old Wapiti 1, but the new shelter. Does anyone know for sure?[/QUOTE]

I certainly was in the right.
    Journal Entries
    Images

Why is this nutjob still breathing after the first killings?

http://www2.wsls.com/sls/news/local/...hooting/10572/

Quote Originally Posted by tppreston View Post
    Why is this nutjob still breathing after the first killings?

http://www2.wsls.com/sls/news/local/...hooting/10572/
    He's not. He was killed by 2 fishermen near the same area last year after attempting to murder them for no reason also. But you are right in that he should have been put to death or at least locked away forever the 1st time.

Quote Originally Posted by Pebble Puppy View Post
    He's not. He was killed by 2 fishermen near the same area last year after attempting to murder them for no reason also. But you are right in that he should have been put to death or at least locked away forever the 1st time.
    no. he died in jail "mysteriously"

How many policemen does it take to push "Lyin' Randall" down a flight of stairs?........................................... ...............................................Non e. He fell.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++