WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Former Admin

Default Imp Campsite Shelter

Info, questions, comments, experiences (good or bad) regarding - Imp Campsite Shelter

Past/Present hikers - what can future hikers expect here? Have any good stories or memories from here?

Future hikers - any questions?

Shelter is similar in construction to the Guyot Shelter. There are also tent platforms. The site is run by the AMC and there is a charge from June-October.
    There are mostly single tent platforms.
    Last time we were there was July 2002 in the middle of the week and the place was full.

Images

Thumbs up A great spot

This shelter has a great spot for watching sunsets, with a somewhat uncomfortable bench. Its location, on the Carter Moriah Trail (AT) is one of my favorite locations in the Whites.

Here is a picture from July 2001

http://www.whiteblaze.net/gallery/sh...papass=&sort=1
    Last edited by celt; 07-26-2003 at 21:06.

Yes it is a nice spot. There is a seat just inside the front that kind of looks like a throne.

Check this out: Papa Bear holding court at Imp

Cool place. It's a bit of a walk (downhill about 1/2 mile) but as a lunch spot it's a nice side trip.

BTW: I highly recommend you take the very short side trip (about .1 miles) up to the summit of Moriah. Well worth the few steps. It's a bit of a rock scramble - leave your pack below on the main trail.

Pb

Images

A nice shelter, 3 tent platforms and 1 group platform, cool crevice at water source, Hammockable from many different spots if in a pinch, as well as over all of the platforms. I fit a hammock and Kelty Zen tent on the far platform (#1).

Brian

Images

Default imp

caretaker gave a little leave no trace speech at the wooden couch behind the shelter. we witnessed a screech owl fly right next to us as the sun was going down. great little spot and nice shelter, but a ways down a rocky trail. caretaker says a new sign with correct mileage should be up soon.
    A-Train GAME03

Default Imp shelter/campsite

An interesting feature of the log shelter is the use of "Swedish" chinking. The upper log is hollowed out beneath so it will fit in perfect conformation to the one below. This technic requires a lot of skill, labor, and patience in cabin construction. It is generally the best form of log construction in terms of weatherproofness and durability, but I was surprised to see such care taken for an open shelter. When I stayed at the shelter a few days ago (7/21/2004), the caretaker had stayed in it the night before because her tent leaked in a downpour. A metal bearbox is available for food storage.

Walt

Images

I stopped by Imp shelter last Saturday (7/24/2004) about 1 pm. Nobody there, not even the caretaker.

Addicted Hiker and Donating Member Hammock Hanger's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by DebW
    I stopped by Imp shelter last Saturday (7/24/2004) about 1 pm. Nobody there, not even the caretaker.
    If you were there where was HH??? (Blue Blazing ??) I promise I'll be back and LIKE it. Sue/HH
    Hammock Hanger -- Life is my journey and I'm surely not rushing to the "summit"...:D

http://www.gcast.com/u/hammockhanger/main

Imp Hut! Yes, a beautiful hut with an equally beautiful view, furnished with a nice wooden bench and a copy of Tolkien's "The Two Towers", (at least when I was there). I remember quite a few foreign hikers and nearly hundreds of frogs on the ascent up to the hut. I believe thats where I gave a lone thru-hiker my ration of bagels for the day. The memories just flood back with that picture, I believe the bench overlooks a town in new hampshire?? I cannot recall the name too well.

--Editing for the fact that after awhile, these hut memories begin to bleed into eachother. Perhaps it is not Imp Camp that I'am recalling, but a similar one with a bench overlooking a small town in New Hampshire?
    Last edited by SargeAT; 08-20-2004 at 05:53. Reason: [None Given]

AT 2012

water source at all dependable here?
    Lazarus

Stayed there last weekend. our group used the tent platforms which were big enough for 2 tents each. shelter is insanely nice though. awesome views for sunsets.. we're pretty sure we could see all the way to Mt Mansfield in VT. stream for water was good, privy was good.

IMG_0292.JPG

Images

water good. i hammocked so they put me in an area called the overflow area. i was near where they were watching the sunset.
    I'm so confused, I'm not sure if I lost my horse or found a rope.

++ New Posts ++