WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Poll: How do you manage the midnight piss?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Hikes in Rain View Post
    One of the most specatular sights I saw was at Russel Field, November, temperature about 8*, when nature called. Put my glasses on, staggered out the door after fumbling noisily out the gate in the shelter fence (getting more urgent all the time) and stumbled to the rear of the shelter where the wind wouldn't blow me away. The relief made me tip my head back, and lo and behold! the stars were out!! So awe inspiring, I was beyond shivering and actually shaking before I realized I was still standing there exposed!
    Guys, please don't pee behind the shelter. Women like to go back there to change clothes when the shelter is full of men. Secondly, it'll make the shelter stink. PLEASE, don't pee behind the shelters!! I doubt there is a tribal group of people in this world that would step outside their shelter and take a pee right there. Even wild animals know not to pee where they sleep or eat. One more reason I avoid staying in shelters.......
    "It was on the first of May, in the year 1769, that I resigned my domestic happiness for a time, and left my family and peaceable habitation on the Yadkin River, in North Carolina, to wander through the wilderness of America." - Daniel Boone

Ages 21 - 30 : I held it in.
    Ages 31 - 40 : I stepped outside and peed in a designated waste area once or so a night.
    Ages 41 - 50 : I stepped outside and peed against the nearest tree twice or so a night.
    Ages 51 - present: I use a designated pee bottle two or three times a night.
    Near future: Depends...
    Distant future: Super Huggies...

Quote Originally Posted by Lilred View Post
    ...Even wild animals know not to pee where they sleep or eat. One more reason I avoid staying in shelters.......
    Vultures crap on themselves for the cooling effect...but I agree too many people piss right near the shelters. Your plea has fallen on deaf ears.

Quote Originally Posted by Totem View Post
    how about when hiking?
    Be interesting to know if Depends are Ok when shelters and hiking poles are not.
    "If I get started in the right direction, I just might get to where I want to go." -- Tab Benoit

Quote Originally Posted by The Scribe View Post
    Be interesting to know if Depends are Ok when shelters and hiking poles are not.

whatever, but you can bet he won't pith on himself

Quote Originally Posted by Ranc0r View Post

And knowing this, I NEVER wander out without something on my feet. That ain't always dew on the ground next to the closest pee tree!

Ranc0r
    How many more reasons do people need to hike a less crowded trail?

Quote Originally Posted by MOWGLI View Post
    How many more reasons do people need to hike a less crowded trail?
    you hiked the whole thing, no?

Quote Originally Posted by Tin Man View Post
    you hiked the whole thing, no?
    Not by some people's standards.

I'm referring to those that are fixated on the AT to the exclusion of other trails. Especially when these folks complain about something you rarely find on other trails without shelters.

LT '79; AT '73-'14 in sections; Donating Member Kerosene's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by theinfamousj View Post
    Someone once said that thinking sexual thoughts will suppress the urge to pee.
    It works for me!

Not by some people's standards.

I'm referring to those that are fixated on the AT to the exclusion of other trails. Especially when these folks complain about something you rarely find on other trails without shelters.
    shelters definitely should go... imo

shelters definitely should go... imo
    That won't happen on the AT. Want a trail with no shelters? Find a new trail. There are LOTS of them out there.

That won't happen on the AT. Want a trail with no shelters? Find a new trail. There are LOTS of them out there.
    I hike other trails. Mostly in the DAKS, but they have shelters too. I don't mind the shelters as much as all the whining associated with them. It is easy enough to ignore them and camp in the woods. Finishing up NH this year and starting into ME. Doing the Mohoosuc Notch this year!

Images

Someone is gonna get you for the "the."

I've got a landfill dedicated specifically to the disguarded piss bottles from my hiking avocation's.

Quote Originally Posted by mudhead View Post
    Someone is gonna get you for the "the."
    probably 'the' same folks telling me i'm doing 'the' notch all wrong -or- i should find 'the' caps key

I hike other trails. Mostly in the DAKS, but they have shelters too.
    Broaden your horizons.

Broaden your horizons.
    I am broadening into maine. Thanks for the suggestion.

I use a hot water bottle to pee in. It's flexible, water tight, wide mouth, and multi use. Just wash it out good. Hikerbiker

Images

I believe that human testosterome is much stronger than most animals and can actually deter them as well.

Section Hiker, 625 miles & counting mooseboy's Avatar
    Images

The whole "Dedicated Pee Container" thing doesn't really work in a full shelter, though, does it?

IMO, probably the main reason it's such a weak 2nd place...
    --There is always more uphill.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
++ New Posts ++