WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Images

The approach trail is easier than a lot of the trail at the start of the hike. It's just so convenient. I've done both the approach and backtracking the mile from the forest road. For me, taking the FR and backtracking was like sneaking in the back door, while the approach trail felt more like walking up to the front door and ringing the bell.
    "It was on the first of May, in the year 1769, that I resigned my domestic happiness for a time, and left my family and peaceable habitation on the Yadkin River, in North Carolina, to wander through the wilderness of America." - Daniel Boone

Images

Yeah and after you get done climbing the steps to the top of the falls you can turn around and head back down to buy a tshirt announcing to the world that you climbed the steps ! Then you can head off into the woods!
    "Going to the woods is going home" - John Muir

"Only by going alone in silence, without baggage, can one truely get into the heart of the wilderness" - John Muir

So many trails... so little time. Many Walks's Avatar

It's not extra credit, but it is extra fun! If your hiking the trail to spend time in the woods, then the approach trail is a little more time and you'll be glad you did it. There are some spots to camp toward the top if you're overloaded and need to stop. On the other hand, if you're hiking the trail strictly to get the certificate you might as well skip the approach trail, because you'll also most likely skip a lot later or decide the certificate isn't worth it and quit altogether. As a note, we met "Three Day Jim" in Erwin who got his name because it took him 3 days to make it up the approach trail. In reality it's nothing to fear and will just be a good place to start getting in shape for the rest of the journey. We were glad we did the approach trail. Hike your own hike and enjoy the trail.
    That man is the richest whose pleasures are the cheapest. Henry David Thoreau

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

If you don't think you can do the approach trail, then what awaits you like sassafrass and Blood Mtn certainly will test you. Not to mention the beloved Stecoahs (but that's NC before the Smokies). But I'm sure you will do fine. Just start early and stop either at Black Gap shelter or at Springer. The approach is great and exciting and you meet hiking buddies.

Don't get psyched out before you even start. (!)

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

Some days, it's not worth chewing through the restraints.

I'll echo everything that's already been said, and add if you're that concerned about the first 8 miles, maybe a little time in the gym is in order. I know some people do it, but I really can't imagine getting in shape on the trail is much fun. Far better, IMHO, to do some preparation.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Red Hat View Post
    Actually Springer won't be so bad as everyone is not there at the same time. Hawk Mountain, however will be a mad house when everyone tries to settle in for the night. Skip the approach and get to Hawk shelter early or find another spot to pitch your tent along the way.
    Shoot, skip them both. If you wanna shelter go to Stover Creek the first night instead of Springer Mountain - it is a much nicer shelter. Then the next day skip Hawk and go on to Gooch Mtn. Shelter.
    SGT Rock
    http://hikinghq.net

My 2008 Trail Journal of the BMT/AT

BMT Thru-Hikers' Guide
    -----------------------------------------

NO SNIVELING

Somewhere back in this thread was the advice to Hike-You-Own-Hike. Just pick what you want to do and do it. I'm 62 and did the Approach Dec 21st in 35-40 degree temps, 6.5 hrs and we were enjoying our walk - no practice. Did Springer to Damascus in 2007, 39 hiking days - limited practice hikes.
    You can do it.
    Rockdawg69

Caution: Falling and Rolling Rocks have the Right-of-Way!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by SUL_knight View Post
    the approach trail is the way to go. if you think you are so special that someone has to drive down those pesky forest roads just to shave 9 miles for you, you have an importance complex.
    those forest roads are nice and a nice way to have friends and family see you off even though your chances of making it to maine are slim

the approach trail is the way to go. if you think you are so special that someone has to drive down those pesky forest roads just to shave 9 miles for you, you have an importance complex.
    either that or they just dont feel like hiking the approach trail.

ok... and amicolola falls is not nice?

what does maine have to do with the approach trail?
    you're so deep i can't answer you

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Deadeye View Post
    I'll echo everything that's already been said, and add if you're that concerned about the first 8 miles, maybe a little time in the gym is in order. I know some people do it, but I really can't imagine getting in shape on the trail is much fun. Far better, IMHO, to do some preparation.

Actually, the best prep is the hike itself. My son was a couch potato and did the whole trail. It's all mental out there, really. The fun actually is watching yourself get in shape, the pounds melt away, the miles add up and being able to do longer miles. The first 20 miler day is a great milestone.

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

Skip the approach trail
    ad astra per aspera

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

I have a novel idea!

Hike the approach trail if you want to...skip it if you don't.
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

Im going to do the approach trail, but only because im hoping to score some abandoned gear. I dont think abandoned gear is as common as it was after "the Bryson effect" but as an experienced hiker 8 miles is nothing for the chance at free stuff. Perhaps another rush of unprepared hikers will hit with the economy as it is.

So I urge you all to hike the approach, and carry too much expensive stuff.
    ME-VA 08
    soon to be GA-ME 09
    praying for PCT 10

Registered User Tennessee Viking's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Well you have 8 miles of blue blaze or you can climb up .9 of white blaze to start.

Just be glad you know that the Approach Trail is not required. I ran into a young couple at the summit last year that thought they had to do the Approach. Some of the crowd at the summit laughed, but we cheered them as they headed north to Stover.
    ''Tennessee Viking'
    Mountains to Sea Trail Hiker & Maintainer
    Former TEHCC (AT) Maintainer

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Screech View Post
    Im going to do the approach trail, but only because im hoping to score some abandoned gear. I dont think abandoned gear is as common as it was after "the Bryson effect" but as an experienced hiker 8 miles is nothing for the chance at free stuff. Perhaps another rush of unprepared hikers will hit with the economy as it is.

So I urge you all to hike the approach, and carry too much expensive stuff.
    For what it is worth...

If you are thru-hiking, don't do the approach trail to get gear, you probably already have what you need and don't need the stuff someone else casts off.

Now for you guys getting ready to hike for the first time ever and think you need to do the approach - Hoahhh!!! I say do it. Me and some friends will come up the trail later and collect all that gear you think you need now in the comfort of your living rooms, but will get the urge to chuck at about mile 2 up the approach. Don't worry, we will keep the good stuff - evrything else we will sell to next years class so we can do it all over again in 2010.
    SGT Rock
    http://hikinghq.net

My 2008 Trail Journal of the BMT/AT

BMT Thru-Hikers' Guide
    -----------------------------------------

NO SNIVELING

Default touche'

Quote Originally Posted by Mags View Post
    I have a novel idea!

Hike the approach trail if you want to...skip it if you don't.
    Damn, I like the way you said that!!!

Start at the forest road and hike south all the way to Amicalola. Then get a ride back to the forest road and head north. That way you don't do any backtracking and you also get to hike all downhill.

ultrarunner, long distance hiker, AT enthusiast

Hike the approach trail! It's a great trail and the lodge at Amicalola is nice. I've hiked/run the approach trail at least 20 times when I lived in GA, and I gotta be honest I miss it. The first mile from the lodge up to the top of the falls is a good 800 ft. of elevation gain, but it rewards you with a breath-taking view. A lotta folks say the approach trail is 9 miles... it's more like 7.5. If you plan on hiking 2000+ miles, whats another few hours, right?

Then again, the forest roads that lead up to Springer are epic (especially in November when the foliage is changing). That backcountry of N. Georgia... nothing like it!
    Check out my blog: greggoodson.com
    Friend me on Facebook: facebook.com/greggoodson
    Follow me on Twitter: twitter.com/greggoodson

Quote Originally Posted by SGT Rock View Post
    For what it is worth...

If you are thru-hiking, don't do the approach trail to get gear, you probably already have what you need and don't need the stuff someone else casts off.

Now for you guys getting ready to hike for the first time ever and think you need to do the approach - Hoahhh!!! I say do it. Me and some friends will come up the trail later and collect all that gear you think you need now in the comfort of your living rooms, but will get the urge to chuck at about mile 2 up the approach. Don't worry, we will keep the good stuff - evrything else we will sell to next years class so we can do it all over again in 2010.
    Check my sig.I have owned everything I need for a year. But heck, Ill spend a few days or even a week people watching on the approach trail. Even if I don't find a single stuff sack, it will be a good time I am sure.
    ME-VA 08
    soon to be GA-ME 09
    praying for PCT 10

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++