WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Images

Default Backpacker hacked me off

I really hate it when companies sell your contact info to others. All of a sudden I started getting e-mails from companies who told me that I had signed up for their newletter, etc..

I got one today from Woolrich and I never did contact them. They at least had a link to show you where they got your data and here it is below:

Source Information for your Email Address
    You have already been opted-in to the systemEmail Address:[email protected]First Name:JOHNLast Name:KNIGHTEmail Type:not specified, defaulted to MIMEAddress:158 HOUNDS RUN DRIVECity:BOWLING GREENState:KYZIP/Postal Code:42104Home Phone:xxx-xxx-xxxxDate and time signed up:January 28, 2009 at 5:48:59 AM (PST)A description of how your email address was obtained:Your e-mail address was added to this list either through our cooperation with Backpacker Magazine or Backpacker.com.Company Contact InformationEmail Address:[email protected]Phone Number:800-966-5372Mailing Address:Woolrich, Inc. c/o Customer Service 2 Mill Street Woolrich, PA 17779
    I really hate it when they do this.

How do you feel about this?
    Capt. Chaos

Col. John "CaptChaos" Knight
    Bowling Green, KY USA

I hate when they do that. I also hate reading privacy statements. If they don't stop sending me emails when I opt out, I set up a filter that directs their email to the spam folder.

That didn't tick me off as much as the backpacker magazine a few months ago. Neither of the two major articles had anything to do with backpacking. One article was about hunting wolves in Alaska. Midway through the magazine, I had to stop and look at the cover again to make sure I didn't accidentally pick up a National Geographic magazine. I have been pretty disappointed by their last couple of magazines. I feel like they let me down.
    Nothing is foolproof to a talented fool.

Whenever I order anything the e-mail I enter is (say) [email protected] and I only check that one through webmail when I know I'm ordering stuff. Or, when I have time to kill by hitting pages of delete.

Quote Originally Posted by Gumbi View Post
    That didn't tick me off as much as the backpacker magazine a few months ago. Neither of the two major articles had anything to do with backpacking. One article was about hunting wolves in Alaska. Midway through the magazine, I had to stop and look at the cover again to make sure I didn't accidentally pick up a National Geographic magazine. I have been pretty disappointed by their last couple of magazines. I feel like they let me down.
    kinda like the ATC doing a main article in their mag about horsepacking in the Grayson Highlands

Images

Backpacker magazine does the ebb and flow for sure. I stopped getting it.

As for unsolicited emails, they all go to spam. Now my email account seldom gets any crap.

Life on the Internet.

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    kinda like the ATC doing a main article in their mag about horsepacking in the Grayson Highlands
    I still send them a donation every year, but since they went to their new "format" I don't want their mag or membership anymore. Sold out.

Registered User Dances with Mice's Avatar
    Images

I subscribe to different magazines in the names of our family pets. That makes it fairly easy to track where junk mail originates.

Our dog used to subscribe to "Money" magazine. He got a pre-approved credit card application. I filled it out fairly honestly and sent it back (...I put his age in dog years, I figured that was fair; occupation as security guard; he owned his own house and I estimated an income including full board and medical benefits). No bank account or SSN though and a pawprint for his signature.

Somehow they disapproved his preapproved application.
    You never turned around to see the frowns
    On the jugglers and the clowns
    When they all did tricks for you.

Good idea, DWM. Whenever I sign up for a supermarket discount card, I use the name Fabyan J. Hensley, who happens to be Miss Janet's dog.

Sometimes he gets more mail than she does, and some of it is pretty damned amusing.

I hike, therefore I stink.
    Images

Backpacker Magazine should be called "Yuppy Outdoors"
    If you don't have something nice to say,
    Be witty in your cruelty.

Images

http://catalogchoice.com/

Kind of like a "no call" list for junk mail and catalogs.

I've had a gmail.com e-mail for 4 years and have had MAYBE 10 junk e-mails come thru to my regular account. They do an great job os sending spam to a separate folder.
    What? Me worry??

good to see I'm not the only one who uses my dog's name for stuff and I agree with the main story on the wolves, etc. it also seems like a large portion is geared towards climbing mountains, which i couldn't care less about. i paid $5 or so for my initial subscription, and probably won't renew it.

btw Capt Chaos, your name and full address is included in that post. maybe you don't care, but just making sure you realize it.

Images

agreed. i rarely get spam through gmail
    " It's what people know about themselves inside that makes 'em afraid." ~Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter

The perpetual thru-hiker!
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Newb View Post
    Backpacker Magazine should be called "Yuppy Outdoors"
    Backpacking magazine already sucks bad enough without them selling your info.....

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Tarlin View Post
    Good idea, DWM. Whenever I sign up for a supermarket discount card, I use the name Fabyan J. Hensley, who happens to be Miss Janet's dog.

Sometimes he gets more mail than she does, and some of it is pretty damned amusing.

SON OF A .... I have all the discount cards. CRAP!
    "Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm."
    -Churchill

http://www.flickr.com/photos/scorpiorising80/

Garlic
    Images

I just read Backpacker at the library once a month. That way I don't get too mad, since the whole county is helping me pay for it. I sure won't pay for my own subscription, it's not worth it.
    "Throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and jump over the back fence." John Muir on expedition planning

Images

Hi dradius:

not a problem. You can look me up in the phone book here in Bowling Green, Ky anytime you want.

But thanks anyway for the info.

John
    Capt. Chaos

Col. John "CaptChaos" Knight
    Bowling Green, KY USA

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

I think outdoor magazines in general are...fluffy. But, it is what people want.

I was thumbing through a copy of BACKCOUNTRY SKIER recently. The first 10 pages were ads...and one was for a fricken resort!

It ain't just Backpacker.

As with Garlic, I read it for free. In my case, at King Soopers.
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

I got the same Woolrich spam today also. P'd me off. Last two issue of BP were really porr (IMO), time to let my subscription lapse and read the library copy.

Images

I stopped taking Backpacking Magazine a couple of years ago because they ran and article about secret or not that well known places to camp in the South east. Of coarse two of the places my wife and I used but now they are overused trampled down mud holes.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++