WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    "I always told you I was more of a Westerner than an Easterner"
    -Theodore Roosevelt

Appalachian Trail 2008

Colorado Trail 2010

Images

Hey Powder River!!! Hope you are doing well.

I, too, got one of these and had the same exact review of it as you. Hopefully MSR will work on it. I do think it could be a great filter if they ever get all the 'kinks' worked out!
    HAPPY TRAILS TO ALL AND TO ALL A GOOD HIKE!

Looks like more MSR HYPE.
    Back to the drawing board.........
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

Like MB with the G string...how long will it last.

Make your own!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Images

Thanks for the review. We carried a MiniWorks (which has served me well for almost 10 years!) but I was considering a HyperFlow to save a little weight, space & time pumping. The very few people I saw using them, with the exception of 1 or 2, had the same thing to say as you about it. Hopefully they have it figured out by the time we are able to do the PCT.

Chicken Feathers Chicken Feathers's Avatar

Default Hyper clog

Quote Originally Posted by Tinker View Post
    Looks like more MSR HYPE.
    Back to the drawing board.........
    Tinker I bought on at REI and used it out West filtered water from fast flowing river and it started to get hard to pump after 4 liters backflushed but nothing helped by the second day it would not filter. I returned mine. I would wait until MSR did more research and testing before I bought one. They filter water fast and are compact give MSR credit for that but filteringdoes not work. I wonder how long those people that are not having trouble now will start having trouble? Filters cost to much to replace it every month or so.
    The mountains are calling and I have to go

I think i will stick with my pur for awhile longer. It has never given me any problems.. yet.

the hyperflow hypersucks
    "How vain it is to sit down to write when you have not stood up to live."

- Thoreau

Thumbs up A positive review

Strangely enough, mine worked just fine. Perhaps I got a lucky filter

I purchased my Hyperflow from MEC Toronto and used it on on two fall trips - 17 days total - in Northern Ontario. I filtered about 4L/day and flushed every second day. Water was from small lakes for the most part.

Pumping air through the filter immediately prior to backflushing (I did this a few times by accident before disassembly) seemed to make things much more difficult; instead of a full chamber of water, the vacuum would draw only a trickle. My "folk-physics" theory is that the filter requires a column of water through the filter in order for the (weak) vacuum to do its job - kind of like sap through a tree. Whatever the explanation, I had no problems after the first day.

I am debating, however, if I want to take it for my March thru - what a pain if it conks out after a few weeks

-Suttree

Images

Anyone who doesn't want their hypersucks are more than welcome to send them to me.

Quote Originally Posted by mtnkngxt View Post
    Anyone who doesn't want their hypersucks are more than welcome to send them to me.
    That's funny and hypersuck should be the new name of this thing.

On another note, it seems that all the people that have success with this filter have to baby it along quite a lot. Is all that work really worth it for saving 3-4 ounces over another filter? Is all that work really worth it for pumping water just a tiny bit faster?

Why don't more people use the gravity filters (like the platypus version)? They claim to filter water really fast and with no effort...is there something I'm missing?
    "How vain it is to sit down to write when you have not stood up to live."

- Thoreau

No sbennet- ur not missing anything. They do hypersuck --ALOT!!(IMO) Everyone likes something different though. I made my own using the SP140 Sawyer filter, and it works flawlessly. Everyone on the trail last year loved it. We named it the Dip-N-Sip. It is super light, compact, and is effortless to use. The flow rate is awesome and you can beat it to death and it will still keep on working. I built my entire set-up for around 60 bucks and will never go back to anything else( unless the situatin calls for chems)
    Snappy
    GAME--'09

13-45 Section Hiker Trash
    Images

Good review. I have a Hyperflow and have run into the same issues. I posted my thoughts concerns in a couple of the threads on this filter last year. I have gone back to my Sweetwater.

I’m the MSR Brand Manager and am posting to let you know that we have identified a flow performance issue with some of the hollow fiber filter cartridges contained in MSR HyperFlow microfilters currently on the market. The performance issue DOES NOT effect the product’s ability to filter safe drinking water but can be frustrating as the flow rate of the filter may not perform to product specifications. The issue has been rectified and all filter cartridges currently in production for the MSR HyperFlow microfilter perform to flow specifications.
    <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-comfficeffice" /><o></o>
    It is our goal to provide you with the most innovative and reliable outdoor gear available when you need it most. You can be confident in the efficacy of the hollow fiber filter technology, but if you are experiencing a less-than-expected flow rate right out of the box or after back flushing, we want to know. Please contact our Customer Service Department at Cascade Designs, Inc. by calling 1.800.531.9531, and we will send you a valid replacement filter element at no charge for any unit purchased prior to September 15, 2008. Please have your filter element handy as we will ask for the serial number for our records.<o></o>
    <o></o>
    Please also check www.msrgear.com for improved MSR HyperFlow microfilter instructions and an instructional video on proper back flushing of the unit.

I am leaving in just over two weeks and this is perfect timing and what I call great customer service. MSR has kept me as a customer due to this posting. Thanks

Images

Default MSR customer service

It was very painless to get my cartridges replaced: both the one in the filter and the spare. Good to see them standing behind the product. This is consistent with their position on my sweetwater filter which they replaced after the O-ring wore out on the PCT.
    Handlebar
    GA-ME 06; PCT 08; CDT 10,11,12; ALT 11; MSPA 12; CT 13; Sheltowee 14; AZT 14, 15; LT 15;FT 16;NCT-NY&PA 16; GET 17-18

Images

Quote Originally Posted by MSR - Cp View Post
    I’m the MSR Brand Manager and am posting to let you know that we have identified a flow performance issue with some of the hollow fiber filter cartridges...
    Thanks for posting. I had concluded that my Hyperflow was an experiment gone awry (as in I shouldn't have bought it). I called, and a new cartridge is being sent out. I appreciate MSR's responsive customer service. I will post my thoughts after trying the filter out again in the field.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Berserker View Post
    Thanks for posting. I had concluded that my Hyperflow was an experiment gone awry (as in I shouldn't have bought it). I called, and a new cartridge is being sent out. I appreciate MSR's responsive customer service. I will post my thoughts after trying the filter out again in the field.
    I got back a few days ago from a 7 day trip with the Hyperflow. As indicated in my previous post I called MSR and got my defective filter cartridge replaced. I am happy to say the the filter now works as advertised. It's easy to pump, backflushes properly, and will fill up a 1 liter platy in about 22 pumps. I want to thank the MSR rep again for posting about this issue.

I really love MSR products, I had really high hopes for this filter. This is unfortunate.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++