WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Former Admin

Default Garfield Ridge Campsite Shelter

Info, questions, comments, experiences (good or bad) regarding -Garfield Ridge Campsite Shelter

Past/Present hikers - what can future hikers expect here? Have any good stories or memories from here?

Future hikers - any questions?

Shelter and Tent Platforms, run on an AMC caretaker basis June - October....the AMC charges $8 per person...I don't know if they will give a thru a break in exchange for work...but I've heard THROUGH SECOND HAND SOURCES that it might be possible.
    Last time I was there was May of 2002 and there was lumber stacked to re-do the tent platforms but they were in bad shape as of early May.
    Many of the platfoms are doubles.
    GREAT TASTING WATER.

Default Work for stay

All of the AMC facilities, except Pinkham, usually offer work for stay to thru-hikers. At the shelters and tent platforms, it's usually doing some trail work, like cleaning a few water bars, or transplanting a spruce tree or two where they are trying to get some regrowth.

The regualar site caretaker knows what he wants done. The roving caretaker that fills in on days off usually does not know.

Now, my story. At Naumen tentsites, I asked about work for stay. The caretaker said she had a couple of rocks that she wanted moved to build up the scree wall. So, three of us went after them with crow bars. Man, she got her money out of us for that.

By the way, the fee is $8.00 per person, and not break for AMC members or thru-hikers.

LT '79; AT '73-'14 in sections; Donating Member Kerosene's Avatar
    Images

I stayed there this past labor day weekend as part of a two day trip to the Whites. The campsite is very nice. The shelter sleeps 16 and the caretaker told me he has at times squeezed 20 in there. The tent platforms are in groups of 3, one group of 2, and the rest I believe are singles. There is a composting latrine, a wash station with a strainer you can use and a good water source at the entrance to the campsite. I didn't have any complaints. There were four thru-hikers that night, and they were all offered a work for stay (Oden, Spider, One Shoe). I don't remember the last name.

Images

The AMC is replacing the Garfield Shelter. Demolition is scheduled to begin 9/6/2011 and construction of the new shelter should begin around 9/19/2011. I'm not sure when it will be finished. The tent platforms at Garfield Campsite will remain open during construction. The new shelter is being built by John Nininger and the Wooden House Company, the same people who built the new shelters at Kinsman Pond (2007) and Eliza Brook (2010).

Images

Quote Originally Posted by celt View Post
    The AMC is replacing the Garfield Shelter. Demolition is scheduled to begin 9/6/2011 and construction of the new shelter should begin around 9/19/2011. I'm not sure when it will be finished. The tent platforms at Garfield Campsite will remain open during construction. The new shelter is being built by John Nininger and the Wooden House Company, the same people who built the new shelters at Kinsman Pond (2007) and Eliza Brook (2010).

Great news. Those are two very nice shelters.
    Seek, and you shall find.

Quote Originally Posted by celt View Post
    Will be there Sat night

Shelter is being torn down this weekend and will be under construction over the next couple of weeks

I'll be there Thursday night finishing up the section between Franconia & Crawford Notch. Coming in on Garfield Ridge tr Thursday, to Guyot Friday, to Ethan Pond Saturday then out to 302 on Sunday.

-Stephen

Quote Originally Posted by cphobes View Post
    I'll be there Thursday night finishing up the section between Franconia & Crawford Notch. Coming in on Garfield Ridge tr Thursday, to Guyot Friday, to Ethan Pond Saturday then out to 302 on Sunday.

-Stephen
    Significant Bear problem at Guyot, just so ya know. Great tent site

Do they have bear boxes at Guyot? How recently were the issues?

-Cphobes

Do they have bear boxes at Guyot? How recently were the issues?

-Cphobes
    Thursday night, bears present in the campsite. No boxes but the caretaker had a good line run in front of the shelter.

Ok, since I've never dealt with Bears at a campsite what do you do (if anything)? Other than hang/box food.

Is there a shelter at Guyot? I thought it was only tent platforms?

-Cphobes

Ok, since I've never dealt with Bears at a campsite what do you do (if anything)? Other than hang/box food.

Is there a shelter at Guyot? I thought it was only tent platforms?

-Cphobes
    Big elevated shelter with a porch. Multiple tent platforms. Just hang your food. The caretaker will emphasize it when he comes around. Just as long as everyone hangs there food you will be fine.

Great to know thanks.

-Cphobes

Garfield Ridge shelter is one of the best in The Whites for water, room, few rodents, and cleanliness. We usually take teh short hike up to Mt. garfield to catch the sunset or get up early and catch th sun coming up. either way it is worth it. All though it is not the easiest to get to for the novice hikers.
    I am looking forward to seeing the new shelter next season.
    enjoy your stay

The new shelter is complete and open for hikers

Images

The AMC added Bear Boxes in 2012. They're available when the Caretaker is in residence, early June to late September.

Images

New shelter is beautiful

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++