WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default A question on weather

Thank you all for your information on comparing the AT with the Grand Canyon. My next question is if I leave April 17 from Springer and spend three weeks hiking north what may I expect for weather including temperatures and precipitation. Thank you again.

Default Springer Mid April

Mid April through early May can be somewhat unpredictable in the southern Appalachains. Here is what I can tell you for sure...

We usually see cold, rainy days for about half the time. It is not uncommon to get a late April Snow, especially in the Smokies. You can also expect that there will be a couple of days that will get into the mid 70s or 80s. This is an issue because the trees will not have leaves on them yet, so you will be exposed to direct sun most of the day.

There should not be an issue with finding lots of water sources, as the spring rainy season will be in full tilt. Water will be everywhere, probably more than you care to see. <lol>

There will still be a fair number of hikers on the trail, although you will be behind the main pack of thru hikers. There are folks leaving out from Springer pretty steady through mid May.

Have a great hike. Let me know if you need further information.

Garlic
    Images

I had blizzard conditions (20F and blowing hard) above 6000' on April 15-16 and again at the end of April. I also had some really nice 70F days, too.
    "Throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and jump over the back fence." John Muir on expedition planning

Default weather conditions

You are leaving Springer Mountain and hiking north for three weeks or so.

Well you could have sunshine and temps in 70's and 80's. Then again it could rain for days at a time with temps in 30's and 40's. If you get into the Smokies you could snow storms.

Just be prepared for anything.

David

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by DavidNH View Post
    You are leaving Springer Mountain and hiking north for three weeks or so.

Well you could have sunshine and temps in 70's and 80's. Then again it could rain for days at a time with temps in 30's and 40's. If you get into the Smokies you could snow storms.

Just be prepared for anything.

David

Yep, that's about it.

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

++ New Posts ++