WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Thread: Ouachita Trail

Default Ouachita Trail

Has anyone here thru hiked the Ouachita Trail? I've tramped along the eastern end from Arkansas’ Pinnacle Mountain State Park to (and around) Lake Sylvia, but not much farther.

Images

Default Yep

Yes. When I lived in Dallas (Frisco), I would drive to the Winding Stairs - Talamena, OK section for day hiking and a few overnights. Always in the spring though since summer is wicked hot there. I was in hiking withdrawal after moving from New Hampshire so anything that resembled a mountain was essential to my well being. I thought it was worth the drive. Then I moved to Idaho just to have real mountains near me. I'm now back in NH but miss Idaho's endless wildernesses.
    Everyone has a photographic memory. Not everyone has film.

Quote Originally Posted by Hillwalker View Post
    Yes. When I lived in Dallas (Frisco), I would drive to the Winding Stairs - Talamena, OK section for day hiking and a few overnights. Always in the spring though since summer is wicked hot there. I was in hiking withdrawal after moving from New Hampshire so anything that resembled a mountain was essential to my well being. I thought it was worth the drive. Then I moved to Idaho just to have real mountains near me. I'm now back in NH but miss Idaho's endless wildernesses.
    Small world. I once had a Frisco mailing address (Little Elm, Tx. wasn't big enough for a post office). But that was in '75-'76. I worked at a place on Irving Blvd.

I suppose I've seen even less of it, just dayhike at Pinnacle aka Phone Book Mtn (as I was told it was by an Arkansan ) and a closed trailhead near Queen Wilhelmina SP due to a winter ice storm (this would have been 2001) that re-directed me up to the Ozark Highlands Trail for my overnighter. I was surprised at how much the country resembled PA's Valley and Ridge physiographic province - rocks and all, and the site of Talihina, OK was quite a pleasant surprise to me as well, not knowing what to expect. I basically saw a lot of pea soup fog on the Talimena Scenic Drive though.

Images

Default FOOT - Friend Of the Ouachita Trail

Some very interesting hiking. I was on the western end last summer. Some areas poorly marked, others great. Check out the FOOT webs site. They do a pretty good job keeing it up to date. http://www.friendsot.org/

I'm considering doing a long weekend hike on the Ouachita Trail in the next couple of months. Any suggestions what might make a good 3 day hike? I'd love to get in a little trout (or other) fishing along the way.

I am fairly certain that Model T has thru hiked the Ouachita Trail.
    Cabin Fever
    You need God—to hope, to care, to love, to live.

I've hiked some of it. Didn't see another person at all for 3 days and remember the trail being pretty challenging in the Arkansas section I was on.

Quote Originally Posted by freakflyer9999 View Post
    I'm considering doing a long weekend hike on the Ouachita Trail in the next couple of months. Any suggestions what might make a good 3 day hike? I'd love to get in a little trout (or other) fishing along the way.

Eagle Rock loop trail in Albert Pike State Park. 27 mile loop hike, great 3 day trip.

Western end, starting in Talimena State PArk in Oklahoma is rougher part. Parts of the trail in Arkansas are better to include AT style shelters. The guide to get and use is the "Ouachita Trail Guide" by Tim Ernst. He breaks the 224 mile trail down into ten sections and includes a little map at the start of each section. Shows the mileage, location of creeks and road crossings, resupply towns, and elevations all in a general sort of way. HIllwalker is right about it being wicked hot in the summer months. A lot of the streams dry up then also. You would be well advised to cache water at road crossings if you are doing it then. There are sections that are fishable. There is a guy I think named Jim Fite who was doing shuttles. He shuttled me and is reliable. PM me if you want the phone number. I will have to find it. My son and I were just up there this past week. Hiking was nice but a bit rainy. Not enough for a rain jacket though. Hope this helps.

++ New Posts ++