WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Journal Entries
    Images

Default Gossamer Shelters

Looking at this item http://www.gossamergear.com/cgi-bin/...n-Shelter.html have any of you used this or one of there items? This looks nice to me and a bit on the light side. Better than a tarp if you where to ask me from looking at the add. What are your thoughts on this?

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by take-a-knee View Post
    Have you used this one? Does the floor get any water on the inside of it when it rains? It does cost $100 more but again it does have more to it. It is a two person tent which would be nice more room for pack. As far as sitting up is that at all possible?

Quote Originally Posted by lndwlkr View Post
    Have you used this one? Does the floor get any water on the inside of it when it rains? It does cost $100 more but again it does have more to it. It is a two person tent which would be nice more room for pack. As far as sitting up is that at all possible?
    I've not used that model but I do have a tarptent and that is why I reccomended it. The "cake pan" floor on the Shires tarptents is truly ingenious, it keeps you dry. You'd have to scoot your butt toward the entrance to sit up, it that is really important to you, you might like a center pole shelter better like the Gossamer One or one of the Six Moon Designs tents. The word from the field is the Spinnaker fabric is working quite well, absolutely no misting like silnylon in a heavy rain, doesn't stretch when it gets wet like silnylon. That Shires/Gossamer might be a bit small for two unless you sleep together at home. Also, if you don't use hiking poles that might not be the tent for you.

Images

I love my Gossamer Gear SpinnShelter. It can be pitched in many different ways. It can easily be vented during rain. Once you add the suggested length of cord between the corners, set up is then very quick and easy. It is also very long, fitting my 6'6" frame with room to spare. All this for almost no weight. Saving so much weight allows room to add some bug netting during mosquito or blackfly season. Also, because of the down to ground coverage on all sides it can extend into 20F weather much better than a traditional tarp. I Highly Recommend this shelter.
    Start a huge foolish project, like Noah. It makes absolutely no difference what people think of you.----Rumi

A shires model or GG shelter would both be good. Both are good products.
    Snappy
    GAME--'09

The spinshelter was my goto solo shelter for several years. I was very happy with it. I wrote up a brief review of the spinshelter a couple of years ago.

Last year I switch to Glenn "The One" mostly because I wanted a bit more room, a larger bug free space than my A16 bug bivy provided, and a bit faster setup.

I will be using my spinnshelter again this season for a month.I t does the job in the spring.Never used it in mosquito season though.

++ New Posts ++