WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

The internet is calling and I must go. buff_jeff's Avatar

Default Great Alleghenny Passage?

Does anybody have any experience hiking on this? It's basically the only close, cheap option for me to get out and do some hiking. I know it's geared more towards bikers, but it seems kind of interesting. I was looking at starting in Pittsburgh and going about 40 miles out and back.

Default Great Alleghenny Passage

I only have experience w/ the NW section around Coraopolis. I was on a 6-month project at the Robinson Towne Center and used to run during the evening on the Montour Trail. It's an old railroad bed that is very uniform in surface (packed gravel) and grade (never more than 3%). This section is a multi-use path; runners, bikers, walkers. Not sure about horses. Nor do I have any first-hand knowledge of any of the other sections.

Too flat, I would hate to walk it. I did bike it in 2008.

Quote Originally Posted by john gault View Post
    Too flat, I would hate to walk it. I did bike it in 2008.
    Yeah, I hear you. It's really my only option, though, and I want to get out of the city for a bit.

Not hiking, just bicycling -- many, many times (although I have hiked on the C&O). Flat, crushed limestone, nice for riding, an easy (and I'd find it a not very challenging) walk. Lots of local history -- coal mine disasters, industrial empires built and destoyed, etc. Check out Bill Metzer's book, "The Great Allegheny Passage Companion, Guide to History and Heritage Along The Trail". Your local library might have a copy. Did you find the Passage's website? www.atatrail.org has pretty detailed info - lodging, camping, restaurants, as well as trail maps and mileage info.

A lot of the Passage borders on private property, it is requested that you camp only in designated areas. Where will you be starting? The closest campsite to Pittsburgh is Dravo Cemetary, about 6 miles (south) upstream from Boston, at mile 124. Cedar Creek Park is at mile 110. My daughter and I love to camp there - clean and well maintained... also it's patrolled. Hazelbaker's in Perryopolis (across the river at mile 102) offers primitive camping, but it's private, reservations are needed, and there's a fee. Roundbottom at mile 99 is free, but there has been evidence of ATVs tearing up the place, some vandalism of shelters, and the pump hasn't ever worked for us. YMMV. River's Edge is another commercial venture located at mile 92, and offers hikers/bikers reduced rates for the overnight stay. There's nothing from Connellsville till you reach Ohiopyle at mile 73, and then it's a mile hike off the trail up the hill to the state park campground. That covers pretty much everything beyond your 40 miles.

Have you considered the Laurel Highlands Hiking Trail?

Judy

Thanks for the info! I have considered the Laurel Highlands, but I only have weekends free and no ride to a trailhead. The beauty of the GAP is that I can take Pittsburgh public transpo to the trail by the Waterfront for free and just hang out for a weekend. The plan was to go Dravo the first day and then Roundbottom the second and then hike all the back to Waterfront on my last day. I know it's a long haul on that last day, but I'm pretty confident I can do it.

When you have a few $$ to spare, here's the deal:
    Hop on Amtrak to from Pittsburgh to Latrobe (leaves 7:20 am if it's on time) -- cost is $8.50, unless you can get a student discount or something. I'll pick you up from the station and take you to the Route 31 parking lot. It's 7.6 miles to the Turnpike Shelter - overnight there, and it's 7.5 miles to Route 30 where I can pick you up the next day to take you to the train for the return trip home. Or I'll take you to whatever trailhead you want to start from (within reasonable distance say from Seward to PA 653) - here's a start - http://www.dcnr.state.pa.us/statePar...urelridge.aspx

Judy

Quote Originally Posted by starvingmusician View Post
    When you have a few $$ to spare, here's the deal:
    Hop on Amtrak to from Pittsburgh to Latrobe (leaves 7:20 am if it's on time) -- cost is $8.50, unless you can get a student discount or something. I'll pick you up from the station and take you to the Route 31 parking lot. It's 7.6 miles to the Turnpike Shelter - overnight there, and it's 7.5 miles to Route 30 where I can pick you up the next day to take you to the train for the return trip home. Or I'll take you to whatever trailhead you want to start from (within reasonable distance say from Seward to PA 653) - here's a start - http://www.dcnr.state.pa.us/statePar...urelridge.aspx

Judy
    Wow, that's really nice of you.

My only problem is that I have class on Fridays until 1:50, so I couldn't leave until then. I have to see how things balance out. Thanks again, though. I really appreciate the offer.

Recommend you not start in Pittsburgh.

It's not really a trail in Pittsburgh, it's more like any other big-city bike trail -- but it's not completed so you'll be walking through old (not historic-old) towns. The actual trail starts around Boston.

http://www.atatrail.org/maps/map2.cfm

Check out the Port Authority for schedules and stops in the Grenock/Buena Vista area near Twele Road or Zimmer Lane. Should put you on the Passage or very close to it -- well outside of Pgh. and McKeesport.

Judy

++ New Posts ++