WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Former Admin

Default Brassie Brook Lean-to

Info, questions, comments, experiences (good or bad) regarding - Brassie Brook Lean-to

Past/Present hikers - what can future hikers expect here? Have any good stories or memories from here?

Future hikers - any questions?

Images

I checked this place out last weekend and read the register (saw your name HH, and Don Quixote's). It's in good shape, 2 picnic tables in front, decent privy, several campsites, flowing water. Only downside to this place is that it's only 1.2 miles from the Riga Lean-to, which has an awesome view. Unless Riga is full, I'd skip Brassie Brook and go there.

June 18, 2004 - Spent a great night here. Plenty of water, tables and room for all. Stayed here on my son's first backpacking trip and enjoyed the company of several thru hikers who were nice enough to give him some hints on walking the trail. Good luck to Brickhouse and Gentle Ben.
    Jim & Mike

stayed on 8/15/08. Clean, open space around the shelter, water is close, two tables. A nice well maintained place. Didn't feel cramped. A very tame mouse for company.

Quote Originally Posted by DebW View Post
    I checked this place out last weekend and read the register (saw your name HH, and Don Quixote's). It's in good shape, 2 picnic tables in front, decent privy, several campsites, flowing water. Only downside to this place is that it's only 1.2 miles from the Riga Lean-to, which has an awesome view. Unless Riga is full, I'd skip Brassie Brook and go there.
    i stayed at riga leanto once, it was nice. but after that i always prefered to push on to brassie brook leanto for all the reasons you listed. everybody was always heading to riga leanto and i knew brassie had nice tenting next to the running water. love camping/sleeping near water and brassie has always been empty when i arrived.

I agree with Deb W

Quote Originally Posted by canoehead View Post
    I agree with Deb W
    see what i mean? no one ever at brassie brook, everybody crowded into riga. i like to stop at riga and enjoy the view! hard to do when you're sleeping and then cruise to brassie and not be crowded.
    riga is cool though

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

I love this shelter, it's an easy hike from the Rte 41 & 44 intersection and is rarely busy (except for that one time where a Boy Scout troop was there, but they did not cause any issue). Riga is great but here's an easy site and lean-to with a great water source. Another plus is that the next several NOBO miles provide a great walk next to some noteworthy waterfalls. This is one of my go-to weekend spots.
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

Just a quick update, I was there two weeks back. Shelter, picnic table, bear box, privy and grounds all in A+ shape. Clean water source right there.

Was just here 7/2/2012, and everything was in great shape. The two picnic tables are still there, and the nearby brook was clean and flowing fast. We passed a few dry stream beds, yet there was plenty of water here. I'd say it's a reliable stop to refill. The privvy was clean, there was a newer broom and rake at the shelter, and the bear box was clean and free of trash.

great site, but it can be much more mosquito heavy than riga in the spring, especially if you get in after the shelter is full. the only drawback to either site, is that due to their proximity to the road, they tend to attract the loud party crowd. i still like to think of myself in that crowd sometimes, but not when I'm sharing trail space with others. although there was that 3 day trip in 2010, when someone in our group busted out a newcastle keg that he'd carried in secret for 12 miles!

++ New Posts ++