WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Hilltop House Hotel

I was excited to go through Harper's Ferry this year, as I love the park, and I love Hilltop House! I really love that hotel, I don't think I've ever been in one like it, one that you can get lost in! Huge rooms, old & interesting windows & architecture, beer downstairs, a nice view, and a good hiker rate!

I got a 2009 copy of the Appalachian Pages, and Hilltop House isn't listed as a place to stay! I looked it up, and they have gotten bought out and are closed for renovation for a few years. I'm glad they are not going under but I was really looking forward to staying there.

Where else is there to stay in the park itself? I don't want to camp at the KOA or stay at the Quality Inn if I can help it.

that IS a great hotel. I am glad I stayed there before they decided to " renovate " it... we usually know what that mean... generic. I hope not. We are losing way to much these days.

There's a Hostels International about a mile north of town.

•Completed A.T. Section Hike GA to ME 1996 thru 2003 •Donating Member Skyline's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Tilly View Post
    I was excited to go through Harper's Ferry this year, as I love the park, and I love Hilltop House! I really love that hotel, I don't think I've ever been in one like it, one that you can get lost in! Huge rooms, old & interesting windows & architecture, beer downstairs, a nice view, and a good hiker rate!

I got a 2009 copy of the Appalachian Pages, and Hilltop House isn't listed as a place to stay! I looked it up, and they have gotten bought out and are closed for renovation for a few years. I'm glad they are not going under but I was really looking forward to staying there.

Where else is there to stay in the park itself? I don't want to camp at the KOA or stay at the Quality Inn if I can help it.

As I understand it, when the Hilltop House finally reopens it will be a relatively expensive, trendy boutique hotel and restaurant. Probably not what hikers will be seeking, or many can afford.

In addition to the Quality Inn up on the highway, there is the Comfort Inn much closer to the AT near the Shenandoah River bridge. Also the Town's Inn hostel or some B&Bs right in HF, or the Harpers Ferry Hostel (actually in Maryland in Sandy Hook).

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Skyline View Post
    As I understand it, when the Hilltop House finally reopens it will be a relatively expensive, trendy boutique hotel and restaurant. Probably not what hikers will be seeking, or many can afford.
    How sad. I've stayed here several times in their "hiker rooms", and enjoyed each stay. Sorry to hear that the 5 star class will be taking it over. Suppose the Doyle will be next...

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Lyle View Post
    How sad. I've stayed here several times in their "hiker rooms", and enjoyed each stay. Sorry to hear that the 5 star class will be taking it over. Suppose the Doyle will be next...
    are you insinuating that the doyle isn't 5 star?
    "The spirit of resistance to government is so valuable on certain occasions, that I wish it always to be kept alive." -TJ

Slowest Hiker On Earth

There is Town's Inn hostel right near the outfitters in town

Images

Oh, of course not!!!! It's just that the 5-star crown hasn't discovered it yet.

++ New Posts ++