WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Blowgun on the trail...

Im considering taking my virtually weightless blowgun on the trail to use possibly hunting small game (bullfrogs, squirrles, rabbits, etc) Couple questions:

Are blowguns illegal in the various state/national parks?

And is a hunting license required to hunt small animals like this in the different states the trail passes through?

Also, while on the subject...are freshwater clams and snails common in the waters along the way?

and before its mentioned, the darts i use are very bright, ive used them hunting numerous times before and have never lost one from a missed shot....so stumbling upon stray darts wouldnt really be an issue.

Images

i have never seen or heard of some one bringing a blowgun of all things on the AT. but first time for everything. You might find clams if anything. But not snails.

You'll have no problems locating clams and snails in the Northeast waterways, just be aware of the water sources before consuming anything that comes from them. The Northeast, in particular, has been used for industry for a very long time, and there are traces of heavy metal pollutants in most waterways big enough to sustain heavy industry (and some that are just used as dumping sites for unscrupulous waste disposal companies).
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

Blowguns would be illegal in most if not all state & National Parks. Hunting laws would apply. I have a blowgun from Amazonia, but I have only used it to entertain kids during an assembly program. I'm fairly accurate with the thing.
    'All my lies are always wishes" ~Jeff Tweedy~

If you know how to set snares you might want to try that as well. In my opinion they can be pretty effective, just remember to take them down before you leave.

Images

There was another thread on here some time back, concerning blowguns. Here. You would need a license to hunt in each state, and it's been pointed out that there are probably some legal issues unless you confine yourself to vermin and such. (Shelter mice, maybe?) And you'd likely use more time and energy in the hunt than you'd get back.

I like blowguns! I've made a few, they're great fun.

I heard possession of a blowgun in MA is a felony.

Hike smarter, not harder.

Quote Originally Posted by sticks&stones View Post
    I heard possession of a blowgun in MA is a felony.
    That is hilarious.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Outwardboundbackpack View Post
    i have never seen or heard of some one bringing a blowgun of all things on the AT. but first time for everything. You might find clams if anything. But not snails.
    I have found fresh woodland snails in SNP that would make a meal but they are very hard to find and very off AT trail.

http://www.ehow.com/how_2340081_prep...ls-eating.html
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Brett View Post
    Im considering taking my virtually weightless blowgun on the trail to use possibly hunting small game (bullfrogs, squirrles, rabbits, etc) Couple questions:

And is a hunting license required to hunt small animals like this in the different states the trail passes through?

Also, while on the subject...are freshwater clams and snails common in the waters along the way?

and before its mentioned, the darts i use are very bright, ive used them hunting numerous times before and have never lost one from a missed shot....so stumbling upon stray darts wouldnt really be an issue.
    Do you have a trail name yet ? I might have one for you.
    Hunting with a blowgun would be a tough job.
    "Going to the woods is going home" - John Muir

"Only by going alone in silence, without baggage, can one truely get into the heart of the wilderness" - John Muir

might be fun against shelter mice...they are very accurate.

geek

I think that would be a pretty arrogant and willfully ignorant act that spits in the face of the leave no trace ideals. No one should hunt or gather their way up the AT. Laws aside, the strip is too narrow and too busy to sustain it's natural balance against hikers that would do this kind of thing.

I'm a hunter myself, but I go about it the proper and lawful way - like all hunters should. You'd just be giving both hikers and hunters a lower reputation - which is all either group needs.

I heard a story of 2 hikers that carried a blowgun. They were dead set on small game hunting their way up the AT. The only thing they killed with it was a box turtle. I suppose that turtle was too quick for them to just pick up. I guess they were not very proficient with the weapon. Perhaps you are. Still the whole idea seems completely ridiculous. Leave the blowgun at home. It's more effort than what it's worth, there are legality issues as mentioned, and you will catch a lot more grief than game from all your fellow hikers

Thats whats great about White Blaze. You just can't make this **** up.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr HaHa View Post
    Thats whats great about White Blaze. You just can't make this **** up.
    True.....I think I will bring my speargun.....perhaps do some scuba diving and underwater hunting

avatar= bushwhackin' mount kancamagus nh 5-8-04 neighbor dave's Avatar
    Images

home made blowgun
    1- length of 3/4 pvc pipe longer = more accuracy ,3 footer would be fine
    1 -1 1/4 drywall screw
    take a peice of paper and wrap it around the drywall screw head in a conical shape and tape it to the screw. make sure the cone is bigger than the opening of the pipe. easy to do
    insert screw into pipe until the cone is snug, cut off excess with sissors.
    then put it up to your mouth and make sure to blow,don't inhale.
    works great.

Shouldn't the above post be moved to MYOG? Just trying to help.....

Quote Originally Posted by Brett View Post

Just don't let us catch you practicing on the chipmonks !!

Images

I'd think you'd be welcomed in the shelters! Mouse packs lookout!
    Do one thing everyday...that makes you happy...

I hike, therefore I stink.
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Wise Old Owl View Post
    I have found fresh woodland snails in SNP that would make a meal
    I strongly advise against taking any plants or animals from a national park. Mucho bad ju ju.
    If you don't have something nice to say,
    Be witty in your cruelty.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++