WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Cross Trainers vs. Hiking Boots..Your thoughts wanted

Ok, so I am currently section hiking (this will be my second year) Georgia. Last year I wore a pair of North Face boots. They worked very well, however, those bad boys got heavy on the climbs.

So, I was contemplating switching to a cross trainer of some sort.

My question for everyone is, if you had previous experience between the 2, tell me why you switched. Also what considerations do I need to think about (ankle support, pack weight, etc)?

Thanks in advance.

Images

There are a ton of threads on this subject on here. Try the search option and search for boots, trail runners, etc..

Personal opinion - get some trail runners. But you'll see that if you do the search.
    It's a great day to be alive !

Garlic
    Images

I switched for my first thru hike, the PCT. I knew I had to average over 18 miles per day, and I just couldn't do that in boots. I also knew I had to get my base pack weight below 15 pounds as part of the package, so I'd recommend that, too!

Ankle support is not an issue for me, rather the opposite. My ankles have greatly increased in strength and flexibility since switching. When I follow someone wearing boots, the gait looks so stiff and unnatural, it's almost painful to watch. I had rolled and sprained an ankle once in boots, never in many more miles in shoes.
    Last edited by garlic08; 02-10-2009 at 15:02. Reason: Fixed spelling
    "Throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and jump over the back fence." John Muir on expedition planning

Images

The lighter the pack weight you go, the lighter the shoe/boot you can go. If you have any issues w/ankle support, you might want to reconsider. Or--just try a pair w/your usual pack weight around home area first. Stay away from water-proof ones, you shouldn't get so wet they won't dry overnight.There is no hard and fast rules.It's what works for you. The operative words here...works for you. Shoes dry better than boots.As already posted...search in here for footwear etc. But bottom line, it's got to work for you.
    Do one thing everyday...that makes you happy...

Images

To me that is the real thing -- the weight of your pack and your weight. We all are different. Light weight trail runners are too light for me. I'm not carrying a heavy pack now either -- about 25# with 5 days of food and essentials. I like the Merrell line of shoes. The Chameleon is the name of my last 5 pairs. I do 2 in a year. They are like a boot in a way but designed like a trail runner.

Images

Trail runners. I've carried up to 55 pounds with 'em and had no issues. It's personal preference but I only wear waterproof trail runners.

There is a full range from very light runners to very heavy boots. You might look at some in between styles.
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

Some days, it's not worth chewing through the restraints.

I switched a few years ago, and I'm not going back to boots, except in winter. I prefer a shoe (like a Merrill or Keen) to trail runners - a bit stiffer sole seems to handle the rough ground better, and my feet are less tired at the end of the day.

Images

I will be wearing the Asolo 520 leatherboot for my thru hike. It might be heresy, but my ankles are destroyed from 20 years of soccer. they are quite heavy, and I have agonized over using them, but just last weekend hiking I rolled my ankle and the boot saved me from greater harm. I have considered the Asolo power matic 400, any thoughts???? It's still not too late to make a change.

Images

Only one section with boots was all it took for me to switch to low cut trail shoes
    The trail was here before we arrived, and it will still be here when we are gone...enjoy it now, and preserve it for others that come after us

Images

Trail runners for me all the way. Started 35 years ago with big, heavy monster boots and gradually got lighter and lighter over the years. Would NEVER go back to high-top leather boots. Snow & Cold? Just wear SealSkinz waterproof socks!

Climber, caver, camper, canoeist since 1965

Quote Originally Posted by q-tip View Post
    I will be wearing the Asolo 520 leatherboot for my thru hike. It might be heresy, but my ankles are destroyed from 20 years of soccer. they are quite heavy, and I have agonized over using them, but just last weekend hiking I rolled my ankle and the boot saved me from greater harm. I have considered the Asolo power matic 400, any thoughts???? It's still not too late to make a change.
    You might want to check out the Merrill Perimeter. Same type of boot, $50.00 less expensive.
    We don't stop hiking because we grow old, we grow old because we stop hiking. Finis Mitchell

I was contemplating something like this:
    http://www.zappos.com/n/p/dp/43652643/c/146017.html

Why does it seem like everyone is for NON waterproof vs. waterproof? Does a waterproof shoe like shown above really take that long to dry? Or is it because they hold mositures (sweat) inside so well your likely to get blisters?

I use high tec altitude iv boots. They're a bit heavy but not too bad. They give me ankle support ( my right ankle rolls easily ) and are the most comfy footwear I've ever had in my life. They are pretty good at keeping out water and they are the first pair of boots that don't make my feet sweaty and prone to athletes foot. I am wearing these to start my thru in April. I've used these boots all last spring, summer, fall and now into winter hiking about 30 miles a week. They are only starting to wear out now. I also used them as my everyday shoes.

Default another hybrid solution

i have had bad ankles for years, but didn't want to wear boots. I use montrail hardrocks for my trail runner shoe and also wear lace up ankle supports. I think its a great combination. Probably better ankle support than any boot could be without that much extra weight.

Images

Your footwear has to be comfortable and not cause blisters. Be willing to switch if things are not working right.

I used trail runners during my thru hike and loved them for the following reasons: light weight, dry fast, cooler, more comfortable. Once you get a pair of boot wet they stay wet.

Boots do not provide the ancle support most people think unless your boots are very stiff on the sides. The bottom line is to wear what works best for you.

That being said I did have a few days wear my feet were cold and wet, but it was only a few. I am sure that I would have had just as many bad days with boot for different reasons.
    Pootz 07

Images

I was hesitant to switch from boots to light hikers. Now that I have I can't imagine ever switching back. I wear Montrail Namche's. They fit my feet perfectly. It's all about fit. I also use blue superfeet insoles.

As mentioned above, boots that provide ankle support must be stiff in the shaft (my words, paraphrased from above) therefore, they might rub your ankles raw (and they are also very heavy). I used to hike with Limmers (6lb. for the pair, custom made). Took forever to break in, got tons of blisters until that happened, and they also took forever to dry. Once broken in, they had practically zero ankle support (the leather in the cuff had softened). All other boots I've hiked in have been the same. Boots, however, will protect your ankles from scrapes on rocks and pokes from sticks, and might keep your feet a little drier (say you step into a shallow puddle or on a submerged rock while crossing a creek).
    For a long hike, weight is more important than it is for a weekend hike. Light shoes don't tire you out as much (that's a big duhhhhh), but they have the added advantage of allowing you to change direction quickly, replant them more quickly in the event of a stumble, and, of course, most folks tend to get far fewer blisters (especially in the heel) because your forward flexing ankle doesn't pull the shoe up your heel like a boot does.
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

Images

Default Boots

Sometime when I have nothing better to do, I'd love to argue at length with those who advocate lightweight boots. I work long hours with a 20 year old, heavy German machine built to last forever that will outperform any piece of lightweight junk that needs to be fooled with all the time and before long replaced.

Most people today shop based upon price, not value and many companies which provided value went out of business because of it. That's why we have little in our pockets and our landfills are full.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by webejpn01 View Post
    I was contemplating something like this:
    http://www.zappos.com/n/p/dp/43652643/c/146017.html

Why does it seem like everyone is for NON waterproof vs. waterproof? Does a waterproof shoe like shown above really take that long to dry? Or is it because they hold mositures (sweat) inside so well your likely to get blisters?
    On a rain soaked mountain trail you are not going to keep water out of your shoe / boot no matter what you try. Waterproof shoes, hold in water and sweat and do take longer to dry than non-waterproof mesh shoes. The mesh allows the water to be squeezed out as you walk so your feet aren't swimming in water as with a boot or waterproof trail runner. I have found a good mesh trail runner and SealSkinz waterproof socks to be the best combination for dry feet.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++