WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Riga Lean-to

Quote Originally Posted by Sarcasm the elf View Post
    Spent the night there last night, first log book entry in four weeks.

It appears that some Jackwagons did their best to burn down part of the shelter a while back, which was very sad to see. Luckily the fire didn't appear to damage the structural soundness of the shelter.
    Wow, that's terrible. What the hell is wrong with people?

Clueless Weekender
    Journal Entries

Brassie and Riga are also both on private land (with a conservation easement). I'm amazed that the landowners (Mount Riga, Inc.) haven't been more assertive about their rights. Or perhaps they're afraid that the government will just condemn the land outright if they're too vocal, that's what happened elsewhere on the Trail corridor.

It's no wonder that so many townies along the Trail feel like this:

0501300045 by steelmf, on Flickr
    I always know where I am. I'm right here.

Quote Originally Posted by srestrepo View Post
    anyone know what the fastest trail up to this is at or blue blaze and where to park. i just want to go watch the sunrise real fast up there and get away...
    Probably the fastest and easiest way is to use East Street in the town of Mt Washington. Travel down East Street past the Ranger station and park at the South Bear Mountain parking access (the road past the North parking access is closed in winter). Walk towards the AT from the parking area, then south on the AT to Riga Shelter. Minimal altitude gain and mileage, but it will be the fastest way there.

Gentlemen, I can see you guys are regular uses of the trail. Anytime you come across anything like this, please let me know so the CT-AMC AT Committee can deal with the problem quickly. I have forwarded the posting and photo (Thank you. Photos are so helpful) to the overseer of shelters. We have a workparty already planned for that area on May 16th. If we haven't already fixed the problem by then we will be working on it then. If anyone is willing to help, your efforts would be most appreciated.
    Jim Liptack CT-AMC Overseer of Trails
    [email protected]/trails

The Mt. Riga Corporation, the AMC and the Appalachian Trail have had a long and cooperative relationship well before the NPS got involved. They are not afraid of the government and the NPS has NO intention of taking on any more land easements or purchases in that area.
    Jim Liptack
    CT-AMC Overseer of Trails

Clueless Weekender
    Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by liptackj View Post
    The Mt. Riga Corporation, the AMC and the Appalachian Trail have had a long and cooperative relationship well before the NPS got involved. They are not afraid of the government and the NPS has NO intention of taking on any more land easements or purchases in that area.
    Jim Liptack
    This. I'm just amazed that the relationship remains as cordial as it is, the way some hikers treat the place.
    I always know where I am. I'm right here.

NOTICE: There will be a CT-AMC workparty on Saturday, June 20th to begin repairs to the fire damage at Riga Shelter. Here are the details:

Help repair fire damage to this scenic shelter. Carpentry skills needed. Bring water, lunch, and work gloves. All other tools will be provided. Meet 9 am at the west side of the Salisbury Town Hall on the Route 44

Jim Liptack

Images

Planning on this section Nobo starting thursday and was planning to stay at Riga thursday night. We will be tenting for the night, but hoping to take shelter for a few hrs if needed in the shelter if the weather does become stormy. Is it in safe condition, or should we move on to Brassie Brook instead? I'd hate to miss the famous sunrise but obviously if its unsafe, Brassie Brook will do. I have not seen photos of the extent of damage. Your advice is appreciated. Also, how are the water sources running at Riga and Brassie Brook? Can't wait to finally finish CT, rain or shine!
    Doin' the trail one section at a time
    You can read about my adventures at
    http://happyonthetrails.wordpress.com/

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by linus72 View Post
    Planning on this section Nobo starting thursday and was planning to stay at Riga thursday night. We will be tenting for the night, but hoping to take shelter for a few hrs if needed in the shelter if the weather does become stormy. Is it in safe condition, or should we move on to Brassie Brook instead? I'd hate to miss the famous sunrise but obviously if its unsafe, Brassie Brook will do. I have not seen photos of the extent of damage. Your advice is appreciated. Also, how are the water sources running at Riga and Brassie Brook? Can't w to finally finish CT, rain or shine!
    I stayed in Riga shelter in January which is when I took the photo of the fire damage. From what I saw the shelter looked structurally sound, but of course when you get to it take a look and decide for yourself. Brassie brook isn't much farther down the trail so you can always adjust your plans once you get to the shelter.
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

Images

oh wow just saw that photo! i can't believe people... but hopefully they weren't hurt. yeah i'll asses when we arrive. not sleeping in the shelter anyway. thanks!

Images

any feedback on water sources also welcome since Its quite a climb from salisbury to sages, would hate to carry full camels if not necessary. cheers

I recently finished a section hike through this area. There was quite a bit of rain about a week ago. All water sources had plenty of water at that time. There's more rain in the forecast, so I doubt water will be scarce for at least the next few weeks.

--Peter

Images

excellent thanks, counting the hours now!

13-45 Section Hiker Trash
    Images

Neat area, and had a nice night here. I hate to complain about anything, but I ended up on one of the 2 tent pads and they both suck (for lack of a better term). They are shaped like a dome, and there is no way to set up on them without having to lay at a weird angle. About 10 minutes with a flat shovel would probably fix the issue as the top of the dome just needs to be taken off.
    AT: 2007-2019 (45 sections)
    JMT: 2013

Images

yeah we really enjoyed our stay there this summer. great views for sure. sad about the fire damage to the shelter. glad they're workin on it

A few of use spent the night (9/26 & 27) at Riga. Someone managed to burn part of the shelter by the steps, nice new table with a metal sheet nailed in to put your stove on. Bear box in good shape. Some signs for reforestation, but still places to rent. Privy OK,
    Water in 2 small pools, needed cup to get water into bottles for filtering,

I meant places to "tent". I got fat fingers

Spent a night with my buddy Brian, and some new friends Emily, "Big Jim", Eric, Matt and another guy (forgot name) this past weekend at Riga. Great group of folks, had a great time. Great great great. The idiot who obviously didn't pay attention to his stove/burned part of the shelter should be stoned. New picnic table w/ the metal portion for stoves was nice. Stream was a bit dry w/ only a couple puddles. Sunrises were beautiful as always although it got pretty cold (low 20's). Got caught in what I thought was going to be fog on Race Mtn but ended up being a snow squall which was actually pretty cool. Will be back again next year for sure!

On Saturday September 17th, there will be a workparty to repair the fire damage to the Riga Shelter. A replacement log was cut, prepared and flown in by helicopter last month. This will be a big job. All are welcome to come and help. Here is a link to the workparty listing.
    Hope to see you there.
    Jim Liptack

http://activities.outdoors.org/searc...d/92379&act=26

Images

Mount Riga Shelter was nice this weekend. There was a massive group there from a college but they cleaned up well enough. despite the clouds later on in the morning, the sunrise there was beautiful. water was running too.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
++ New Posts ++