WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Former Admin

Default Pine Swamp Brook Lean-to

Info, questions, comments, experiences (good or bad) regarding - Pine Swamp Brook Lean-to

Past/Present hikers - what can future hikers expect here? Have any good stories or memories from here?

Future hikers - any questions?

Images

When we went through this June, the shelter was in good shape. Mosquitoes buzzed in our ears all night. There are about 5 side trails leaving the shelter for campsites, water, and privy with no signs (except the one where you leave the AT to head down to the shelter, but by the time you get there you've forgotten what's what). Water is a stream between 2 beaver ponds. The privy is uphill of the water source.

Section hiker 733 AT miles poison_ivy's Avatar

I stayed at the shelter last weekend. It weathered the winter very well and is in pretty good shape. Only saw one or two skeeters -- though the shelter will probably be swamped with them pretty soon.

The sign situation has improved. All the of the tent sites (in front of the shelter) were marked and I believe there was a sign on the ground lying against a tree pointing the direction to water. You'll notice the privy as you head down to the beaver ponds for water.

If you're looking for something that may be less buggy -- it's worth trying the Sharon Mountain campsite, which is about two miles up the trail. It looked like a nice wooded spot and had a pretty good stream running nearby.

-- Ivy

Images

Stayed here two nights ago (8/15/05). Well, the bugs (or their great-grandchildren) are still there all right! The shelter itself is in good shape and the privy and water source are now fully marked. The campsites were fine. I would NOT recommend hiking on and planning to stay at Sharon Mtn. during the summer during the week or on a Saturday. Really, really loud racket from Lime Rock Speedway makes Sharon Mtn. a truly unpleasant place to be.

Jane in CT

p.s. This is a real flyer but... if anybody came through this site this month and happened to pick up a pair of child's glasses sitting on a rock at one of the two campsites in front of the shelter, would you please PM me?

Default Winter at Pine Swamp

Just finished a winter section hike in CT and stayed here. Water source was a pain to get to (going downhill in the snow) but otherwise, I enjoyed it. The metal roof was put to the test with a hard rain for several hours. The roof "sweated" on the inside but no dripping and no leaks.

Did a section hike last July, stopped at pine brook in the afternoon for lunch. Bugs, bugs, bugs. And make sure you have a good water filter.

2006 Thru-hiker in planning dje97001's Avatar
    Images

I second the comment about the bugs.

Quote Originally Posted by longshank
    Did a section hike last July, stopped at pine brook in the afternoon for lunch. Bugs, bugs, bugs. And make sure you have a good water filter.
    And the lesson is..if you're a section hiker... is to hike it in non-bug season. Our winter hike was great!

I had the same experience as you with the water.

I'm worth a million in prizes astrogirl's Avatar
    Images

The bugs there are unbelievable, though the campsite I used was pretty nice.

I was there in late July, and it was so bad, I waiting for water to boil in my tent and then ate dinner in there too!

Default bear there

Stayed at Pine Swamp lean-to Sunday night (5/7). No skeeters yet, no blackflies (which were out and biting at Mt Algo the night before) but a good-sized BEAR came at dinner time. I was talking w/ section hiker Mountain Dog, we were the only ones there (I was alone at Algo and he had been alone in shelters all week up from NY state). But the bear didn't mind the lingering daylight or our talking--stood fifteen feet off smelling our food. So, hang that food! not in the shelter, but a ways off high up--that bear is losing his fear of us bipeds and may not stop at fifteen feet if we make it too easy for him. Loved the bear--just didn't want him any closer!

Warwick, NY - 3 miles from Wildcat Shelter on AT
    Images

I was the leader of our group of 5 you met as we were going southbound Sunday. Mountain Dog informed us of a scary encounter with a bear back at Morgan Stewart Shelter in NY, now he has two encounters with bears in one short section hike. WOW, maybe he is attracting them??? By the way, just beyond and below the shelter is a pond with a humongous beaver lodge right in the middle. My question is if anyone has seen any beavers here?
    Last edited by Askus3; 05-13-2006 at 13:02.
    Aaron

Images

Now to get this thread back on track and my question answered. I link you to my photo I just uploaded on whiteblaze photos of the beaver lodge in Pine Swamp Pond near the lean-to. As you can see it is quite impressive, so there should be some beaver activity here.
    Aaron

Does anyone have more current info on this shelter- Planning on spending a night here sometime during the last week of sept-
    Thanks
    Landcruzr

This shelter is very near where I live. The black bears here do enjoy some nice people food (nice stinky garbage in particular..) I've seen a 4-500 lb.er crossing the road right before dusk near there. So cool. Only time they were a little scary was when they already where in the garbage, then wouldn't leave. Both in early spring. Yelling at them made them hunker down. Car horn honking also brought no reaction. 12 ga. fired at the ground seemed to do the trick rather nicely.
    Whoa, tangent! Since they climb very well, aren't backpacker cache the thing to use?Leave it on the ground away from camp, etc. Hard plastic, bear can't open, or chew it really. Bear gives up.

Images

Atmooney, a hypocriteis someone who say one thing and does something else. That person could also be call a brown noser. So, you use shelters but want them gone, not to hard to figure you out.

Shelters serve a purpose and anyone ignoring that is stupid or irrational.

Quote Originally Posted by refreeman View Post
    Atmooney, a hypocriteis someone who say one thing and does something else. That person could also be call a brown noser. So, you use shelters but want them gone, not to hard to figure you out.

Shelters serve a purpose and anyone ignoring that is stupid or irrational.
    shelters are for weenies

Images

and I thought shelters were for mice!
    Aaron

Images

L. Wolf,

A quick glance through your post history has revealed what you are.

Quote Originally Posted by refreeman View Post
    L. Wolf,

A quick glance through your post history has revealed what you are.
    and what am i?

No need for a flame war take it over Pm...And is there any food cables here?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++