WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by soods View Post
    So the Simmerlite uses a reusable container that you manually fill with white gas? And on the other hand the Pocket Rocket uses a iso-pro canister that cannot be reused?

Brook
    yeah, the simmerlite has a seperate bottle that you unscrew the cap and pour however much fuel in that you want. I believe (maybe wrongly) the iso-pro canisters are more like a disposable lighter, when it's empty it's useless.

I have been very happy with my simmerlite, but the windscreen is a must with this (it comes w/ one). I use it year round to cook for me, the kids, and the woman, or whatever combination is along.

I switched from a Whisperlight to a Pocket Rocket for size and simplicity. Just take care setting up where you wont knock it or kick it over. If you want too see something wild, stand-up, hold your pocket rocket by the canister, and aim it in front of you. It becomes a 4 ft. flame thrower as liquid fuel is burned instead of the gas.
    Unless your trying to evict enemy combatants from caves, DON'T AIM IT AT ANYTHING YOU DON'T INTEND TO INCINERATE!
    After trying this I can see why tent cooking could turn into a pyrotechnics show. :-)
    It is preoccupation with possession, more than anything else that prevents men from living freely and nobly. B. Russell

Quote Originally Posted by take-a-knee View Post
    For alcohol I use an MSR Titan Kettle (0.85L) and a Caldera Cone system from Anti Gravity Gear.
    How durable is the cone part of that system? I guess it's roofing siding??

That system is really impressive.

Images

Default pocket rocket vs.simmerlite

had my pocket rocket for about 6yrs like it, have had a couple whisperlites,I know its not a simmerlite,but the neck on my pump cracked once,real scary at the time,ky

Peakbagger Extraordinaire The Solemates's Avatar

i have both and like both.

i use the simmerlite for winter camping and for thru-hikes. i use the pocket rocket for any other time.
    The only thing better than mountains, is mountains where you haven't been.

amongnature.blogspot.com

How durable is the cone part of that system? I guess it's roofing siding??

That system is really impressive.
    Not durable enough you can abuse it, like you said, it is just aluminum flashing. It gets packed inside the pot sticking out, you place a Dixie Cup over the exposed portion. You need a stuffsack that will hold the entire assembly together snugly. Pack it at the top of your pack.

Quote Originally Posted by kyhipo View Post
    had my pocket rocket for about 6yrs like it, have had a couple whisperlites,I know its not a simmerlite,but the neck on my pump cracked once,real scary at the time,ky
    I just upgraded my 1986 Whisperlite with the new pump. Seems to be sturdier.
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

Quote Originally Posted by Morpheus View Post
    I switched from a Whisperlight to a Pocket Rocket for size and simplicity. Just take care setting up where you wont knock it or kick it over. If you want too see something wild, stand-up, hold your pocket rocket by the canister, and aim it in front of you. It becomes a 4 ft. flame thrower as liquid fuel is burned instead of the gas.
    Unless your trying to evict enemy combatants from caves, DON'T AIM IT AT ANYTHING YOU DON'T INTEND TO INCINERATE!
    After trying this I can see why tent cooking could turn into a pyrotechnics show. :-)
    ...you might have just sold me on the pocket rocket...

I just tried to make a cat stove tonight. It is pretty nifty. Anybody use one of those?

I recently joined the pocket rocket club. i almost bought a windscreen for it at the same time i bought the stove. got it home and read the manual and it has a warning to not use a windscreen... glad i didn't buy it, but what's up with that?
    also, what are y'alls thoughts on the "1-2 hour burn time" rating for the large msr canisters?
    thanks

...you might have just sold me on the pocket rocket...

I just tried to make a cat stove tonight. It is pretty nifty. Anybody use one of those?
    Supercat? Yes. It's my favorite alcohol stove.
    Cat? No. Roy "Trail Daddy" Robinson invented that one (made with two cans) I made several a few years back. They're heavier and much less efficient than the Supercat and they require a pot stand.
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

Images

summer hiking you should use the pocket rocket and for winter hiking * should use a white gas stove like the simmerlite. i prefer the pocket rocket for the simplicity that it provides. i use a wind screen and i have never knocked the rocket over so the stability is just fine. i also used the rocket in temps down to 5* the only thing i had to do was put the isobutane cylinder in my sleeping bag overnite to keep it warm. the iso will not spill in the sleeping bag unless you have a faulty canister...

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Bearpaw View Post
    1) Ability to use a wind screen safely, which can't be done with the Pocket Rocket.
    No disrespect, but you're mistaken. I use a longish foil screen for mine every time I fire it up. You only cover 3 sides, and the foil comes out a good ways from the open side to give more wind protection.

Besides that, the supposed dangers of exploding the tank are being originated by the company that sells the gas. Think about that for a minute. Why would they wnat you to use a screen and use less gas? Using a screen and a Jet Boil GCS pot, my Pocket Rocket lets me cook two meals a day and have three cups of hot tea per day for 6-7 days on a 220 ml Snow Peak canister.
    Just hike.

Default Caldera Cone packing

Quote Originally Posted by take-a-knee View Post
    Not durable enough you can abuse it, like you said, it is just aluminum flashing. It gets packed inside the pot sticking out, you place a Dixie Cup over the exposed portion. You need a stuffsack that will hold the entire assembly together snugly. Pack it at the top of your pack.
    The Caldera Cone system comes with its own two piece packing tube now called the "Caldera Caddy". It is made out of food grade plastic and can be used as a bowl and a mug.

FYI!

Rand

Images

Default You need to follow up on that

Quote Originally Posted by Nightwalker View Post
    No disrespect, but you're mistaken. I use a longish foil screen for mine every time I fire it up. You only cover 3 sides, and the foil comes out a good ways from the open side to give more wind protection.

Besides that, the supposed dangers of exploding the tank are being originated by the company that sells the gas. Think about that for a minute. Why would they wnat you to use a screen and use less gas? Using a screen and a Jet Boil GCS pot, my Pocket Rocket lets me cook two meals a day and have three cups of hot tea per day for 6-7 days on a 220 ml Snow Peak canister.
    Thats the most I have ever heard of - your method should be described in another post - it sounds like a super fuel saver. I actually gave up on canisters because of the lack of efficiency and cost of fuel. You might turn things around for me.
    How many ounces of water do you boil for 2 meals and 3 cups tea per day?
    For me that would equate to 32 for the meals and 24 for the tea. That means that I would need to boil almost 400 ounces of water per canister - I need to hear more about this, Please.

[Fwiw: You could start out with the simmerlite and the 22oz. bottle when it's cold and switch to the 11oz. later, or just ship the whole thing home and use alcohol or Esbit in the warmer months. Don't forget that in colder weather most people build a fire and it's a waste of money to use your fuel to cook when there's free heat available in the campfire.[/quote]

Just so you get an overall idea, I have owned a Whipsperlite since they arrived on the market and it has a nozzle for K1 in case you're in a pinch and can't get white gas. Check to see if the gas versions of the stoves you're looking at have k1 nozzles too. I would hesitate to use a canister stove on regular basis for a thru hike.

Nothing burns like an MSR, but they're heavy and sometimes loud. With the price of white gas, I would use a two stove system like mentioned because canisters can have problems in cold temps. Besides, environmentalists don't like canisters because it's added trash to be created and some bad hikers toss them in the woods instead of packing them out. With that said, just use esbit unless you're really cooking allot and need a gas stove. Esbit rules.

i have a pocket rocket and it is amazing

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++