WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Former Admin

Default Mt. Algo Lean-to

Info, questions, comments, experiences (good or bad) regarding - Mt. Algo Lean-to

Past/Present hikers - what can future hikers expect here? Have any good stories or memories from here?

Future hikers - any questions?

Since nobody has posted anything about this shelter i guess i can add some input. Basic CT great condition with four campsites and a pit privy. They have not got to this site to install the above ground moldering worm privy. The location is excellent. Right near a great brook which is fairly loud if that kind of thing interrupts your sleep. only 0.3 miles from the road to the north but it is uphill form the road. from the road access to Kent is less than a mile I think. Great little site.

Mt. Algo is a nice spot, i agree with Phorestfreak about the privy, it was pretty crappy. But the shelter was nice, and the location is great.

Question MT Algo Shelter

The shelter is .3 miles south on the AT from rte 341 (leads into Kent and rte 7 at 1 mile from trail crossing.) North on the AT takes you through the cow pasture/farm. Yes, you can feed the cows...they will come running for handouts. Little Bear 2 in CT
    cosmic dew

Donating Member/AT Class of 2003 - The WET year
    Images

I was in such a hurry to get into Kent late that afternoon I blew right by it and never even saw the sign.

So tell me ...what'd I miss ??

'Slogger
    AT 2003
    The more I learn ...the more I realize I don't know.

Images

I loved this site! Beautiful location (1/2 way up Mt. Algo), next to a rushing brook, shelter was clean and well-kept and our campsite (#1) was beautiful. Except for some annoying blackflies, there were relatively few bugs, too. Nobody else there the night we stayed (6/6/05). I guess a lot of people pass by it on their way to Kent.

Warning - brook right near shelter is dried up at the moment. Went there this weekend (9/18/05).

Also we had nasty thunderstorms on 9/17 which brought a lot of trees & branches down. Be careful!
    ~CynJ

"The reward of a thing well done is to have done it." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Be carefull the water in the stream is very high and fast. You may have to walk well up steam to cross safely. I don't think i've seen it this high. Iwas there in late may of 06

Images

Heh. I'll have to go see. CT is +6 inches of rain from what we have nomally at this time.

Images

was just there in late sept.2007 ,there was NO WATER ,and the bugs will eat you alive,so we went into kent .conn ,had to buy new pair of boots anyway,good move on our part
    wolf

Stayed here the night of 2/16/08 shelter in good repair although tented due to the cold. There is now a mouldering privy in good condition. Had some trouble crossing the brook as it was high and ICY! other wise we had a nice night.
    ~Christy

Images

This shelter smelled of horses. That must be something else I was smelling on my recent visit (31 Oct 09). But it could be horses. According to Google Earth the shelter is located on some kind of old dirt road.

The brook is nice and the water is probably clean, though I gave it the FEMA-approved bleach drops (2 per liter).

The privy does not have the type of wooden structure on which the ring sits as I have seen thus far in shelters visited north of Bear Mtn. Bridge.

Instead it has a plastic structure somewhat similar to a home toilet. The ring sits atop this plastic structure. The waste is backed up into the plastic structure, about a third of the way up from floor level to the ring.

There was no toilet paper.

The shelter register had about an inch of paper left at the end of the last page in the notebook.

Perhaps the two conditions are related.

There's actually a fire ring in front of this shelter which is kind of funny as fires are outlawed on the AT in CT. As this shelter is only 0.3 from the highway, it may get some use by locals as a party spot though the only thing to really indicate this, besides the well-used fire pit, was a single cigarette butt. If the locals do party here, they adhere to LNT practices. Except for the two giant partly-burned logs running across the fire pit.

Journal Entries

I just stayed there, and found it to be fine, I don't use privy's generally, so I can't vouch for that, but I found to be a nice little spot to set up camp. I tented bc I was late to the site and a couple of campers had rudely spread ****e all over the lean to. Instead of making a federal case I camped. I didn't sleep well as the acorns pelted my tent like bombs all night. Even this late in the year, there was almost ten people there.

P

I stopped in here on the morning of May 5. A very nice area, with lots of room for tents or hammocks, and a new-ish mouldering privy. All was ship-shape.

I shot a short video tour of the area:

--Peter

++ New Posts ++