WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Images

Default Favorite On-line retailer!

As I have posted earlier, I am about to thro down a chunk of change on gear. I would prefer to use one vendor instead of 25, to make my initial purchase. I am looking at moosejaw (They offer reward pnts). I think REI is high.

Where does everyone shop?

Campmor for me

Where does everyone shop?

Well not on-line, for starters.

The only Trail stuff I purchase on-line or via mail is maps and guidebooks.

Images

I use Campmor as well. Their prices are very comparable to other outfitters and a lot lower than some(REI).

Images

I'd recommend shopping 'best price' online - if that turns into multiple retailers, so be it. Keep up with what you buy from whom in case you have to deal with returns . . . how hard can that be? If you limit yourself to one supplier, your bill of goods will cost you more, I can guarantee you. REI's non-discounted prices do tend to be high, but shop their sales and 'Outlet' for bargains. If you have an REI near you, you can avoid shipping costs by doing the 'in-store pickup' option when checking out.

Be sure you factor in price + shipping costs for total cost of items. One retailer's higher priced item may become cheapest if their shipping is free or much cheaper than their competitor's.

I probably buy more from REI than the others, like Campmor, Artec, Sierra Trading Post, etc. but I generally Never Pay Retail (NPR). If a supplier wants my economic vote ($$), they need to offer the best total price (including shipping).

Garlic
    Images

Another vote for Campmor, at least for stuff that you use up or wear out (clothing, repellent, Z-rests, Aquamira). Shelters and packs I buy directly from the makers (Henry Shires and Gossamer Gear), shoes from the best on-line deal I find at the time.
    "Throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and jump over the back fence." John Muir on expedition planning

I am personally loving Campmor. Their website is solid and easy to use. Plus they have the carrying WEIGHT of practically every item listed alongside it. Very handy. And their prices are good.

If I were to break it down though into "general" online vendor and "specific" online vendor- then AntiGravity Gear has my other vote
    ~CJ aka WritinginCT

"It is never too late to be what you might have been." -George Eliot

If you are strictly going for best price, then use spadout.com. It finds the cheapest price online for a product.

Personally, I am an REI man but sometimes buy odds and ends from Sierra Trading Post.
    Cabin Fever
    You need God—to hope, to care, to love, to live.

As with so many things, it depends on what you're optimizing for. If cost and variety are top considerations, campmor is great, and I carry a couple of things I bought there. If you're more focused on finding lightweight gear, I suggest that you consider www.prolitegear.com, www.backcountrygear.com, plus a couple of cottage industry places like www.gossamergear.com, www.tarptent.com, www.mountainlaureldesigns.com, www.sixmoondesigns.com

If I had to pick just one or two locations, I'd go with one of the first two I listed. Backcountrygear.com has a wider selection, prolitegear.com has a pretty good selection that's more focused on just lightweight gear.

What I really suggest that you do, however, is go beyond just one vendor, but well below 25, and go with just a select few. Campmor might be one of those few for me, along with the ones I listed above.

Depends...price isn't everything.

If you think you will be returning items read the retailers info carefully. Not all allow returns. You might pay more at REI at times....but you can return anything.
    Trail Cooking/FBC, Recipes, Gear and Beyond:
    Trail Cooking

Images
    " It's what people know about themselves inside that makes 'em afraid." ~Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter

I'd vote for REI. The 100% no quibbles return policy is pretty damn good. You can return stuff a year later if you decide you don't like it anymore. I know that's open to abuse but it's a nice safety net.

P.S. I don't find their prices to be bad at all.

I another vote for Spadout.com, however using them takes me to Sierra Trading Posts for most things I've ordered.

Images

Not one vote for LL Bean until now. I do like Campmor too and several others mentioned. EMS for another.
    I have been replacing all my hiking gear in the past few months and I did get a lot at Campmor. I ordered from the manufacturer for my backpack and tent. I did purchase a Campmor zero degree bag long and it is great. I stick with bands of clothing I know through experience.
    Go LL Bean!
    CYA"LL at Trail Days.

I get a lot of stuff from Campsaver.com – good on Montbell stuff and sales.

Images

REI=cooperate douche bags, overpriced, snooty.

Campmor=cheaper, smaller operation.

Sierra Trading Post= good deals, steals.

and my fav: Ebay.

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Campmor and Backcountry.com for some stuff and I like our outfitter- Rockfish Gap outfitters by waynesboro.

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

Images

Most of my recent gear purchases have been through Backcountry.com and I can say that they have been as good as REI with regard to returns, etc. None of the online retailers have all the makes, but I would say that REI is low on variety.

Backcountry and Campmor are among the largest with most variety of stock.
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

GA-ME-04
    Images

Campmor

Images

Another vote for campmor.
    The actual store is better than the site.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++