WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Images

Default Foothills Trail Trout Expedition

I just hooked back up with an old buddy after several years, and find that he's all into trout fishing and wants to head up to lake jocassee on the foothills trail. I'm jumping right on that and told him that I'd do some recon on the trip.

I've done a bit of searching this morning and have some resources, but need the local knowledge of folks like nightwalker and mowgli.

We'd like to do a 3 day weekend. We'll have two cars to shuttle. Ideally the schedule would be a couple hours walking and a couple hours fishing, wash rinse repeat.

What section is going to get us the best fishing/walking ratio? What trail access spots will we be using? I've got the georgiahikes.net topo maps.

Quote Originally Posted by mister krabs View Post
    I just hooked back up with an old buddy after several years, and find that he's all into trout fishing and wants to head up to lake jocassee on the foothills trail. I'm jumping right on that and told him that I'd do some recon on the trip.

I've done a bit of searching this morning and have some resources, but need the local knowledge of folks like nightwalker and mowgli.

We'd like to do a 3 day weekend. We'll have two cars to shuttle. Ideally the schedule would be a couple hours walking and a couple hours fishing, wash rinse repeat.

What section is going to get us the best fishing/walking ratio? What trail access spots will we be using? I've got the georgiahikes.net topo maps.
    The Jocasse Gorges section from Whitewater Falls to Laurel Valley Trailhead would be good. The Whitewater, Thompson, Horsepasture & Toxaway Rivers are all in that stretch.
    'All my lies are always wishes" ~Jeff Tweedy~

Images

Thanks Mowgli, that's what I had my eye on it's on maps 6,7,8 and 9. Looks to be about 25 miles or so, does that seem right?

Is there relatively safe parking at whitewater falls and laurel valley?

Thanks for your help and quick response.

25~ sounds about right. I can't speak to the parking issue. You may want to park at Bad Creek instead of Whitewater Falls though.
    'All my lies are always wishes" ~Jeff Tweedy~

Images

OK, thanks. Which direction would be preferable, east or westbound?

...east bound and down.... loaded up and truckin....

Well, I'm not local and I'm not Nightwalker or Mowgli, but I did avidly trout fish along the Foothills Trl in late Nov-early Dec in 08 during a thru-hike of the trail. All of the waters mentioned above were way down. The Whitewater held the most fishable water immediately below the upper and lower falls, although it's not always easy getting to where U might want to fish. There were still fishable trout pools on the Horsepasture and there may have been some fishable pools on the Toxaway upstream from the Foothills Trl bridge. The Toxaway was real shallow near its confluence w/ Lake Jocasse. There was fishable water below Laurel Falls. I would agree w/ Mowgli, for what U want to do, the Jocasse Gorge section gives U the most variety and possibilies for trout fishing which will include the four rivers/streams mentioned and give access to Lake Jocasse. Although it may not be in your immediate plans, I really enjoyed the many fishing and shoreline camping opportunites along the Chatooga river.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    Well, I'm not local and I'm not Nightwalker or Mowgli, but I did avidly trout fish along the Foothills Trl in late Nov-early Dec in 08 during a thru-hike of the trail. All of the waters mentioned above were way down. The Whitewater held the most fishable water immediately below the upper and lower falls, although it's not always easy getting to where U might want to fish. There were still fishable trout pools on the Horsepasture and there may have been some fishable pools on the Toxaway upstream from the Foothills Trl bridge. The Toxaway was real shallow near its confluence w/ Lake Jocasse. There was fishable water below Laurel Falls. I would agree w/ Mowgli, for what U want to do, the Jocasse Gorge section gives U the most variety and possibilies for trout fishing which will include the four rivers/streams mentioned and give access to Lake Jocasse. Although it may not be in your immediate plans, I really enjoyed the many fishing and shoreline camping opportunites along the Chatooga river.
    Thanks for the info, the most important question is, Did you catch anything??

I'll never tell! But, if * send me $19.95 in the next hr. I can rush * my latest Fishing The Foothills Trail Map. Learn where to catch trophy sized fish with reknowned fishing expert, Dogwood. If * act now I'll include absolutely free a glow in the dark bobber that will be sure to attact those trophy fish. This is a limited time offer and the maps won't last. Order now. Representives are standing by to take your order.

the * is supposed to be a *

I got it wrong again. The * is upposed to be a *.

Images

I think we're dealing with an * fetish!

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    I'll never tell! But, if * send me $19.95 in the next hr. I can rush * my latest Fishing The Foothills Trail Map. Learn where to catch trophy sized fish with reknowned fishing expert, Dogwood. If * act now I'll include absolutely free a glow in the dark bobber that will be sure to attact those trophy fish. This is a limited time offer and the maps won't last. Order now. Representives are standing by to take your order.
    I'll bet he caught 'em on a chartreuse banjo minnow.

The * is supposed to be you or are. I don't know if a key is out on my keyboard or system is about to explode.

well.....
    I fish up there 2 or 3 times a year.
    I learned from the locals.
    If you want to actually catch fish, more than a few or limit you'll have to go to the stocking points.
    Not saying you can't limit in the out there spots so....
    go for it.
    Sometimes a couple of "wild" Brook trout beats stocked rainbows hands down.
    Having big fun is what counts.

Wandering Vagabond
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by MOWGLI View Post
    You may want to park at Bad Creek instead of Whitewater Falls though.
    That's good info there. I've been looking to move further north on the Foothills Trail as warmer weather gets here to avoid the crowds around the Chattooga River. Any good info on campsites on the trail around Bad Creek will be really helpful.

The perpetual thru-hiker!
    Images

I prefer going in the direction from Laurel Fork to Whitewater Falls. I've never had any problem with parking my vehicle at either end. The lake level has been creeping back up and as of last Sunday it was just getting back up to the bottom of the boat ramp at Devils Fork.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by OldStormcrow View Post
    I prefer going in the direction from Laurel Fork to Whitewater Falls. I've never had any problem with parking my vehicle at either end. The lake level has been creeping back up and as of last Sunday it was just getting back up to the bottom of the boat ramp at Devils Fork.
    That's great info, thanks. Hopefully the front that came through yesterday left some more water up there. I'm hoping to head up within the next month, just waiting on a solid date from my buddy.

Images

I just happened to find this thread. Park one car at Bad Creek and the other at Laurel Valley on 178. Hike from that end. The first eight miles, from Laurel Valley to Laurel Fork Falls, is pretty easy. The rest isn't very.

30 miles from Laurel Valley to Bad Creek. No roads in between. Very nice.
    Just hike.

++ New Posts ++