WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Trail Running

Images

Default Trail Running

Is anyone big into trail running? I'm thinking about getting into it since I love hiking and I love running. I've run a couple marathons so far and a half and some 5k's and run on my streets regularly. I didn't know if it works to train on the streets and then to run trail races or if you'd need to train on the trails. I can't really train on the trails a lot-well I don't want to drive 20 min. every day to a trail to run, when I can walk out my door and start more easily. Anyone out there trail running and have advice?

I'm kinda just getting into it myself. I just run and try not to faceplant.

Come on down next month for an HM.
    http://www.huntsvilletrackclub.org/H...llow/index.php

I have done alot of trail running over the years. It is hard to find good trails to run on near where I live but I have found a few that are 5 miles or so and a couple of the national parks in ohio have trail marathons. I have run marathons on streets before and have not found it necessary to train on the trails to do long distnace on them.

The type of shoe is different as you need something a little heavier that will not slip on wet surfaces. Good luck.b

Quote Originally Posted by Plodderman View Post
    I have done alot of trail running over the years. It is hard to find good trails to run on near where I live but I have found a few that are 5 miles or so and a couple of the national parks in ohio have trail marathons.

The type of shoe is different as you need something a little heavier that will not slip on wet surfaces. Good luck.b
    It's hard to find good streets in Wheelersburg to run on too. Had to stay in town a couple of years when my wife's uncle died (she's orig from Portsmouth/Sciotaville). Ran headfirst into a streetsign (blinded by oncoming car) and was nearly ran over multi-times when I left the Day's Inn at o-dark-thirty on training runs. But def a different flavor of running, stomping thru slushy snow.

ultrarunner, long distance hiker, AT enthusiast

Hell yeah my friend! Trail running is where it's at. A good amount of folks I meet at ultra-marathons (usually 50Ks on single track hiking trails in my case) have a good background in long distance hiking. They both go together like peas and carrots in my opinion.

If you do a lot of trail running, hiking 25 miles becomes cake!
    Check out my blog: greggoodson.com
    Friend me on Facebook: facebook.com/greggoodson
    Follow me on Twitter: twitter.com/greggoodson

Images

Hey, Max.
    I got into trailrunning a few years ago and do most of my training on dirt.
    Obviously the more technical trail you run the easier it will become. But every run need not be on dirt.
    Lots of trail runners fill in with asphalt and treadmills, Stairmasters or what ever to stay in shape, then do something longer on the trails of the weekend.
    I suppose you'll be looking to do some ultras since you're already at marathon level.
    I've been done a couple of fastpacks on the AT. Carry about an 18lb pack.
    Walk the ups, run the downs and flat.

I've been nursing some injuries the last few months, but I often get out and run with the Iron Mountain Trail Runners on the weekends.
    I'm on the slow side, but we have a blast.

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

I always wanted to do it - got a book on it, etc. but for now I am sticking to running roads and hiking trails.

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

During the week, I do most of my running on the streets, just for the sake of convenience. On the weekends, I like to venture out to one of the nearby trails - its a welcome change from the normal routine. I like it for the solitude and the challenge, as well as the opportunity to get muddy. It's also a good excuse to buy some really cool shoes!

I used to ultra run a lot.
    Started with the Mt. Masochist near the AT (Blue Ridge Parkway)
    and ran all kinds of distances until i completed a big goal of mine: Finishing the Leadville 100.

Now, I mainly just hike and powerhike, especially up hills.
    I still run half-marathons and this year will hopefully do a full but, the differences are these:

Trail running and Ultra running is done on dirt. Much easier on the body than concrete or blacktop. (also usually shadier too)

Ultra running is more about finishing than how fast you can do it. I noticed in my first ultra run, when someone fell, about 6 people stopped to make sure they were ok. You would not see this in a marathon, everyone is too concerned with looking at their watch.

Once you start trail running more than 15-20 miles at a stretch, your hiking will drastically pick up in mileage also and you will never be the same. (this could be good or bad depending on how you look at hiking)

You will see a lot more wildlife.

You will learn how to do 20 miles with nothing but perhaps a water bottle.

You won't find many people do join you. They will tell you it's too fast, you're not stopping to smell the roses, it's insane. Just ignore them. It's lots of fun.

I'm surprised LW hasn't chimed in yet. He's been ultra running for at least 18 years (or at least he started at least 18 years ago. Don't know if he's still into it)

Best to start out with a 50 K and meet people and see the differences between them and your marathoners. I was shocked at how slow the pace is comparably.

Have fun.
    Don't let your fears stand in the way of your dreams

Images

Quote Originally Posted by fiddlehead View Post
    and ran all kinds of distances until i completed a big goal of mine: Finishing the Leadville 100.

nice one, fiddlehead
    I DNFed my first go at Masochist last year.

ultrarunner, long distance hiker, AT enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by fiddlehead View Post
    I used to ultra run a lot.
    Started with the Mt. Masochist near the AT (Blue Ridge Parkway)

Now, I mainly just hike and powerhike, especially up hills.
    I still run half-marathons and this year will hopefully do a full but, the differences are these:

Trail running and Ultra running is done on dirt. Much easier on the body than concrete or blacktop. (also usually shadier too)

Ultra running is more about finishing than how fast you can do it. I noticed in my first ultra run, when someone fell, about 6 people stopped to make sure they were ok. You would not see this in a marathon, everyone is too concerned with looking at their watch.

Once you start trail running more than 15-20 miles at a stretch, your hiking will drastically pick up in mileage also and you will never be the same. (this could be good or bad depending on how you look at hiking)

You will see a lot more wildlife.

You will learn how to do 20 miles with nothing but perhaps a water bottle.

You won't find many people do join you. They will tell you it's too fast, you're not stopping to smell the roses, it's insane. Just ignore them. It's lots of fun.

I'm surprised LW hasn't chimed in yet. He's been ultra running for at least 18 years (or at least he started at least 18 years ago. Don't know if he's still into it)

Best to start out with a 50 K and meet people and see the differences between them and your marathoners. I was shocked at how slow the pace is comparably.

Have fun.
    What year did you Masochist? Finished in 2006 and have been dying to do it again... beautiful part of the country.
    Check out my blog: greggoodson.com
    Friend me on Facebook: facebook.com/greggoodson
    Follow me on Twitter: twitter.com/greggoodson

i've done the masochist 5 times. most recent was 2006

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    i've done the masochist 5 times. most recent was 2006
    correction. 2005. 76th place. 10:06

For me, the masochist was my first 50 miler and it was '96 i think. (don't remember the time. not as fast as Lone Wolf though. LOL)
    Leadville was 01 in 26:39 (and I DNF'd in 02 (it was wicked hot that year)

Now, i am much more used to the heat as it is usually in the 90's here in Thailand.
    Don't let your fears stand in the way of your dreams

I just started running ultra last year -3 trail and 1 road relay. I run year round -99% of the time on trails. If i run on roads, i run on the side off the pavement and pick hilly routes. Good luck trail running. I am hoping to run the MMTR this year if it doesn't interfere with Vermont, nice time Wolf!

Quote Originally Posted by jcazz View Post
    I am hoping to run the MMTR this year if it doesn't interfere with Vermont, nice time Wolf!
    thanks. not bad considering 13 months before the race i had a mild stroke and weighed 248 lbs. i dropped 70 lbs. and trained like a mofo

Images

Thanks LW, you always have good links.

Images

So the pace is a bit slower than marathon times typically? What about shoes? Are trail running shoes necessary or can I use my regular running shoes. I thought maybe unless the trail is super rocky or rooty, the a regular running shoe would be best

Quote Originally Posted by maxpatch67 View Post
    So the pace is a bit slower than marathon times typically? What about shoes? Are trail running shoes necessary or can I use my regular running shoes. I thought maybe unless the trail is super rocky or rooty, the a regular running shoe would be best
    yes, times are a lot slower. sometimes you have to walk some depending on the race. the Masochist has some steeps that only Superman can run. the JFK 50 is 100% runnable. i did that one year in 8:13. i always wear regular running shoes. most ultrarunners do too

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++