WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    www.hikersupply.com

Default Trail Days 2004 (edit) A successful event!!!

Those of you who know me know that I have spoken up before about things that have occured and that I present a straight forward arguement about things.

This years Trail Days Festival in Damascuss appears to be a BUST! (read initial post time)

The campground move from 2003 looks like it has affected the 2004 attendance significantly. Furthermore there is a heavy police presence here that has put a damper on many things.

There has been alot of talk about Backpacker Magazine taking over this event. That is probably the best thing that can happen from an advertisement stand point. However if there is still going to be the heavy town influence in the form of a wolf pack of police walking around with flash lights in the drum circle for hours on end while people are doing nothing wrong the gross outcome of this festival could diminish. A third party festival agency that would be private, but made up of members of each of the interested parties, and managed by a few people who have good event management experience and good people and communication skills would benifit this festival tremendously.

The old days of camping in town, staying up all night, having fun as a hiker here appear to be over. The move to the camp ground appears to still have many issues that need to be worked out.

I know that alot of people have made statements like "give trail days back to the hikers" and " dont sell my festival" and other things of that sort.

I wonder what others think?? and I wonder what affect the actions of the town (read police) are going to have on future events.

This is it.... this post is the discussion. Present your opinions of how it used to be to how it is now and what you see in the future.

I vote for a full private take over of trail days from the administration stand point. The town of Damascus needs to be totally removed from the planning process administration and create a third party agency that would promote the festival that would have only one goal and that is making the festival succesful. This third party would no doubt be one that would take all interests into consideration, including the towns, the vendors, the hikers, the law enforcement, and more. However it would make better decisions from experience in event management, for an example than using law enforcement officers to run a camp ground.

I felt like a criminal tonight with all of the police walking around shining flash lights on me for hours while I listened to the drums, and then using the police cruiser and the blue lights to shut it down at midnight.

What do you think??
    Last edited by Twofiddy; 05-17-2004 at 12:16. Reason: Read Post

You're a drama queen. It ain't that bad. Speak out brother, nobody is lisenting.

Quote Originally Posted by L. Wolf
    You're a drama queen. It ain't that bad. Speak out brother, nobody is lisenting.
    If the Wolf Man can live with it...must be ok.
    "Just trying to keep life simple."

Well, Trail Days is a unique event. On one hand, it's an annual community festival, not unlike the festivals that many communities in the country have. Some places it's called "Old Home Days," or a "Harvest Festival," or something else. It's a few days when neighbors come together, and people who have moved away come back for reunion with their former neighbors.

On the other hand, there are the thru-hikers. And they want to get together also, but not necessarily with the natives.

Each group has their own agenda. Not that there is anything wrong with this. If it's going to be a thru-hiker festival, then probably more thru-hikers need to be on the planning committee.

And, I suspect that one reason for the camping being limited to the campground, and heavy police presence is probably our own doing. In prior years, we have probably left the area a mess, and not controlled the all night partying. Frankly, what was probably disturbed me the most when I was there 2 years ago was the underage drinking of locals who decided to camp out.

So, if this year is a bust for anyone, it's because of our actions in prior years. Likewise, your actions this year will influence what happens in the future.

It ain't the hikers. It's non-hikers causing problems. This is my 14th Trail Days. Things have changed.

Quote Originally Posted by L. Wolf
    It ain't the hikers. It's non-hikers causing problems. This is my 14th Trail Days. Things have changed.
    In general, I'll agree. It makes for a challenging situation that is hard to control.

tideblazer
    Images

Flashlights and cops at the drum circles? How unappealing.

Backpacker Magazine taking over trail days? Even worse!

Remember that BM is an advertising entity. Isn't getting away from that sort of mental manipulation an important aspect of the trail to celebrate?

I am heading up there tomorrow, and will be wary of these changes you purport. It sounds like Phish concerts, where the old-timers know it was full of good energy and vibes like a Dead show, but then all of the sudden it was taken over by a bunch of outsiders there just for the party or mostly the drugs, who really didn't get "it" and bad things started to happen (including a brutal police response). The way they dealt with it is cancelled their shows for several years.

www.ridge2reef.org -Organic Tropical Farm, Farm Stays, Group Retreats.... Trail life in the Caribbean

Default Will this be the year?

Will this be the year that Trail Days finally implodes?

I agree with most of Peaks posting. I have attended/participated in every Trail Days since the second year. I have seen and heard about hiker misbehavior on an increasing basis. Hikers who are not into the 'party' scene have stopped going to Trail Days. After walking through the campground on Sunday morning last year, the scene was not impressive. Sort of like 'the lost generation'.

By the way, the ALDHA Gathering is not like Trail Days. It will be strictly alcohol-free this year and we adamantly oppose any type of corporate sponsorship. So if you like fellowship among fellow sober hikers and a no corporate logo background, I encourage you to attend the 23rd Gathering of ALDHA. For more info on this event contact www.aldha.org.
    Warren Doyle PhD
    34,000-miler (and counting)
    [email protected]
    www.warrendoyle.com

www.hikersupply.com

Default Good responses!

I am glad to stop back here today and read some good responses from a few people.

Trail Days is special because it is a Harvest Festival. It is what it has become from what was at one point in time nothing but a side walk sale and some thru hikers around a camp fire.

The ultimate goal of a festival like this is to bring together those who have done, those who are doing, and those who dream of hiking on the trail. In many ways the commercialized atmosphere is typical of Americans.

With all of the gear that must be purchased, and the services that the trail hikers patronize in towns, it is only the norm for business minded individuals to practice American Capitialism in the hiking venue.

I hope that what appears to be a drastic change in the attendance and demographics of this event will turn out in the long run to be good for our activity that we all love.

I just figured that after talking with others who shared similar opinions about this festival that I would post up a discussion here.

Images

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Twofiddy
    .... there is a heavy police presence here that has put a damper on many things. ....
    I felt like a criminal tonight with all of the police walking around shining flash lights on me for hours while I listened to the drums.
    Were you doing something criminal? Wanting to?

LOL

Images

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by warren doyle
    By the way, the ALDHA Gathering is not like Trail Days. It will be strictly alcohol-free this year and we adamantly oppose any type of corporate sponsorship. So if you like fellowship among fellow sober hikers and a no corporate logo background, I encourage you to attend the 23rd Gathering of ALDHA. For more info on this event contact www.aldha.org.
    WOW... best thing I've read on WhiteBlaze in some weeks!

Images

See my post in the "**trail Days Campground Update**" thread, I think the police presence greatly improved on last years, given the attitude change alone (granted, I'm one opinion out of many). When I first walked into the superfund site, I did think "Oh man, they've caged the hikers up so they can be controlled", but after talking to the first two cops, my attitude changed for the better - friendly beyond belief from folks wearing a badge. On the "commercial" side of things, I didn't care for the non-environmentally friendly SUV backpacker.com vehicle in the parade, but it did get a nice barrage of water ballons for the effort...

See ya in the woods,
    Ky Thru

Journal Entries
    Images

Default Trail Days 2004

soooooo Trail Days has changed from the "good ole days"????

what hasn't!

This was the 18th annual Trail Days Celebration in Damascus & my first time to attend....so, i cant give an account of what it wuz like in those "good ole days"...BUT,, realisticly, you can't take any & all control away from the "host" town.

It wouldnt make any sense to let hikers or anyone else have "total free run" in your town without some sort of supervision (police patrols, etc).

As for the "commercialization" aspect..if you dont have SPONSORS & booths...then who pays for the city services during the events, rental(s) of halls for events, "clean-up" of the aftermath of thousands of tenting hikers....?????

Would you prefer to levy a $50-$!00 festival fee per hiker??????

I enjoyed myself, enjoyed meeting many thru-hikers, section-hikers, WhiteBlaze.net folks & hearing Warren Doyle, & Bill Irwin.
    see ya'll UP the trail!

"Jaybird"

GA-ME...
    "on-the-20-year-plan"

www.trailjournals.com/Jaybird2013

Sorry I missed y'all at my house, Jaybird. Got your card.

Quote Originally Posted by Twofiddy
    The ultimate goal of a festival like this is to bring together those who have done, those who are doing, and those who dream of hiking on the trail. In many ways the commercialized atmosphere is typical of Americans.
    I would disagree with this thesis. I think the ultimate goal of the organizers (Town of Damascus) is to bring an infusion of cash into the local economy while providing a good time for locals and hikers alike. If this festival didn't bring a positive economic impact with it, it would probably end.

Thanks to the fine folks of Damascus, VA for putting it on! Special thanks to Tonya Tripplett (Town Clerk) and Eleanor Graselli for all their hard work.

It was good to see some Whiteblaze folks there. Especially SGT Rock.

Jeffrey Hunter
    'All my lies are always wishes" ~Jeff Tweedy~

www.hikersupply.com

Quote Originally Posted by MOWGLI16
    I would disagree with this thesis. I think the ultimate goal of the organizers (Town of Damascus) is to bring an infusion of cash into the local economy while providing a good time for locals and hikers alike. If this festival didn't bring a positive economic impact with it, it would probably end.

Thanks to the fine folks of Damascus, VA for putting it on! Special thanks to Tonya Tripplett (Town Clerk) and Eleanor Graselli for all their hard work.
    I get a mixed feeling on peoples opinions of the Towns role in this festival.

My inital post was sparked by Thursday evenings events with what I will call a wolf pack of police that patrolled the camp ground, and then the little stunt at midnight with the flashing of the blue lights on a police cruiser to shut down the camp fire drum circle.

Initially Thursday night I hada real problem with the feeling of the festival. The reason that I posted here was so that others would read, and would take/make some corrective action. If signs were posted that stated that no druming was to take place after midnight, or if it was known ahead of time that the camp fire was over at midnight then ok. Using a police cruiser with flashing lights in my opinion is an unprofessional way to inform people that there peaceful camp fire drum circle is over. Nothing illegal was taking place around that camp fire.

Without elaborating to far... Simply put this post, and actions of others like Miss Janet, Bill Chandler (mt hardwear rep) and others who spoke up early Friday about things that were still able to be changed did have an overall affect on the outcome of this past weeks activities.

Although the overall turnout was less than last year, I think that the things that I saw Thursday night that made me feel like this weekend was going to be a bust, did indeed get some attetnion and the weekend was a successful weekend in taking this festival on to a new level.

Weather or not the goal of this festival is to infuse cash into the local economoy remains to be seen in my opinion. While Damascus is one of the most hiker friendly towns along the trail, Trail Days brings out a different part of the town. I believe that there are many people who dont want this festival to take place here because they dont see the benifit that it brings to the local economy. Many people think that they have to give there home town away for the weekend??

Three huge improvements that need made.

#1 Camp ground management and organizational improvement.

#2 Parking Parking Parking Parking (in town, camp ground, out of town, it all needs improved)

#3 Shuttle Service and designated bus stops. If you are a hiker, who comes to town after walking 500 miles, you dont want to be walking around town all weekend.

I boycotted trail days this year. Spent the weekend in a nice secluded place in the mountains close to town. There were no police on bikes, horses or on foot. All of you who did not like this years trail days just don't come back. Havy your own trail days somewhere else.

Addicted Hiker and Donating Member Hammock Hanger's Avatar
    Images

I just returned from TD's. I had a really nice time. It was an opportunity to reconnect with a number of old friends. I thought it was a lot less crowded this year then the past four that I attended. I still can not believe I was there for 4 days and did not once step foot in the outfitters and other then the hammock quilt I ordered I didn't buy anything other then food and a few beers. As usual I hung my hammock up by The Place as I'm not a partier and usually can't take the "hiker campground" party. I did stop down and listen to the drums for a little while on Sat night. The fire was big, the drummers were good and the crowd was realitively quite. The was a much bigger or more visable police presence, but it may have been a good thing. Kept things under control. My friends who stayed at the campground said as long as you put your beer in a Nalgene or something other then the beer can/bottle and remained civilized the cops didn't really bother you.

I agree it definately has a different style and feel from ALDHA but is still a nice get together. I enjoyed listening to Bill Irwin on SUnday morning, and Jeff Hunter on Friday as well as the ALDHA get together.

The only down side was Saturday night when I had to listen to love birds making it in the tent next to me and later to the sound of someone gettting sick.

The WB meeting was nice but I really didn't get to meet some folks cuz I wasn't sure who they were. Trail Yetti, I didn't know that was you sitting there until after we al left. Sorry, I would have said hi. Lone Wolf came in and I didn't know which of the bikers he was... I do now!! I did get to say hello to Medicine Man, Sgt Rock, Grampie, TX Jack, Baltimore Jack. (Can ya believe I was too shy to introduce myself to those I didn't know.... well I am shy!!!) Hammock Hanger
    Hammock Hanger -- Life is my journey and I'm surely not rushing to the "summit"...:D

http://www.gcast.com/u/hammockhanger/main

Addicted Hiker and Donating Member Hammock Hanger's Avatar
    Images

PS: I also enjoyed a nice bike ride down the mountain. It was nice to see Pirate there eating lunch. He said he was enjoying a quite weekend outside of town. He looked content... HH
    Hammock Hanger -- Life is my journey and I'm surely not rushing to the "summit"...:D

http://www.gcast.com/u/hammockhanger/main

Images

For what its worth, I thought TrailDays was great. It was my first time. I personally had no problem with police presence or parking or anything else. I was suprised by how friendly most of the cops were and how relaxed they were. Sure I didn't love them breathing down my neck at the fire circle, but they also stood there while most everyone else danced, drank and had a good time, so no harm done. Parking seemed fine at the campground too. Most of my friends had cars and no one complained of not having a spot. And there was a shuttle. The trolly was going back and forth from town to the campground many times a day, and I caught it twice. Not only that, but just about anyone would stop and pick up hikers on the way down. I was offered hitches without needing to use my thumb.
    I'm reluctant to have missed the Whiteblaze gathering and not have met so many of you. I got a bit sidetracked on the way down. None the less it was a fantastic weekend. Even got to do a bunch of trailmagic/ride giving to current hikers as well as some hiking and an overnight at the Denton Hilton. Fantastic
    Anything's within walking distance if you've got the time.
    GA-ME 03, LT 04/06, PCT 07'

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
++ New Posts ++