WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Default Picnic Table fixed by AMC member

Picnic table fixed by AMC member. Site in good condition.

Formerly "Totem"
    Images

Excellent news to hear, many thanks to them
    up over the hills, theres nothing to fear
    theres a pub across the way with whisky and beer
    its a lengthy journey on the way up to the top
    but it ain't so bad if you have a great big bottle o'scotch

Images

thats good they fixed it quickly

Images

amazingly sad.

Images

I understand that im a little young to be saying this but i have to get it out. Kids are selfish these days. I know im young to be saying that but i mean common do the kids really have to burn a picnic table. Is it fun or something

Images

There is wisdom in youth sometimes OutwardBoundbackpack. Glad to see it is again fixed. Thanks to the trail maintainers and others who got it done.

Images

lets just hope they dont burn it again

Images

From the burn pattern and talking to the maintainer who was up there fixing it that day it almost looks like it was started accidently. One more case possibly of an alcohol stove getting away from someone. While it may have started that way it appears no attempt was made to put it out after it got going.

This time of year when shelters are not crowded up here I have seen a lot of folks cook in the shelter. Aside from the issue of bear activity the fact that your place where you plan to sleep now smells like a TV dinner for bears there is always the risk for fire. While the loss of a picnic table is an inconvenience to hike all day in cold wet conditions planning on a shelter to come to a pile or charred timbers would down right suck. Play it safe, Smokey the bear will appreciate it.

Formerly "Totem"
    Images

Started Accidentally?

Oh man, If I rolled my eyes any harder, I'da had an aneurysm.
    up over the hills, theres nothing to fear
    theres a pub across the way with whisky and beer
    its a lengthy journey on the way up to the top
    but it ain't so bad if you have a great big bottle o'scotch

Images

Take a closer look at the pics of the burned table and look at the burn patterns and where it burned. If I were to burn a table I would light it from the bottom and let it burn up not start it on the flat top surface. Either way they did noting to put it out which then makes it purposeful.

Images

Like they say. The most dangerous shelters are those closest to a road.

This shelter is a pit and the shelter should be torn down and replaced with tenting spots, maybe further from the road. Waste to maintain wooden structures near roads.

I must sadly agree, it's the least appealing shelter I've seen on this stretch of the AT.

Images

I am not a big fan of this shelter myself. It does not help that it had been with out a maintainer for almost a full year. From what I heard recently the area supervisor has now found someone to do this and if not I know of someone else that will be willing to step up to the plate. It needs a bunch of work and has been neglected for a while. I hope that whoever takes on the task can make this thing really turn around. Maybe in the early spring we can do a work weekend there and get it looking better for next "season".

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Frick Frack View Post
    Ughhh....Wiley Shelter....

We had planned to stay there on our SOBO last year and arrived to a bunch of kids partying. They all ran to the shelter and claimed it so that we would not stay there (not that we wanted to after seeing/hearing them). They were all from the Bronx (And VERY obnoxious!) and had never been out in the woods but thought it would be "cool" and took the train to the AT then hiked up. We stealthed on pass the shelter up on Hammersley Ridge and passed all their discarded stuff along the way (suitcases, bags of food, tolietries, clothes). Their stuff was strung out all the way to the train station. A section hiker that passed by our camp the next morning said he had to deal with the partying all night, a girl crying, and another girl getting sick (from drinking too much). Ughhhh......
    The idea that kids from the Bronx even KNOW about the AT, much less that they'll jump on the train (and the Fordham stop is 15 minutes closer to the AT than Grand Central) and hike 5.6 miles to get to it well, that just makes me glad the AT stop is only open on weekends. Though if they got from the Bronx to the AT, they might be clever enough to get to it from Pawling too.

Anyway, as of Tuesday (06 Oct 09) night the shelter was in good shape, the inside stayed dry in a pretty decent downpour and the fire enclosure is even closer to the shelter than at Telephone Pioneers (nice for getting a little bit of warmth off the fire on those chilly Fall nights).

If you're into fires and heading NOBO, this is your last chance to have one legal until MA.

There's a Ms. Susan Geisler who signs into the log as the volunteer supervisor. That's definitely the right last name, first name on an IIRC basis only.

It's really a pleasant spot. One possible improvement might be a sign to alert SOBO's of the path they want to take (a left turn in front of the fire enclosure). Some people miss the little white arrow pointing to the left on the fireplace and take a right, leading to the Thru-Hike to the Privy.

Default it's all in how you look at things.

Quote Originally Posted by Dingus Khan View Post
    at the shelter today.
    pump working, clean privy, nice new-looking picnic table.
    there was a lot of junk at the site, old clothing, a jacket, about 10 various pots and pans, 6 1L water bottles, a coffee mug etc...
    packed out what i could but was limited in space so there is plenty left...
    one man's ceiling ...
    dissent is the highest form of patriotism.
    (howard zinn)

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Spent an overnight here in mid-December '09 as a winter camping refresher (I hadn't gone in several years). Had a peaceful night in a solid shelter, however the several empty vodka bottles stashed under the site made me glad that I was there in weather that was cold enough to keep the less responsible crowd away.
    It was a great night with temperatures in the mid-teens complete with heavy snow, a small fire and the company of a very vocal owl who proved to be quite entertaining.

All in all a great night.

Stopped in for a break from the rain on Saturday 5/8 - there was a vagrant set up there with a pretty friendly but jumping shepherd. The guy set off my gut and we moved on pretty fast. The privy is in the good condition and the shelter was not leaking. We didn't check the pump as we didn't need water.
    ~Christy

Images

Quote Originally Posted by wystiria View Post
    Stopped in for a break from the rain on Saturday 5/8 - there was a vagrant set up there with a pretty friendly but jumping shepherd. The guy set off my gut and we moved on pretty fast. The privy is in the good condition and the shelter was not leaking. We didn't check the pump as we didn't need water.
    Thanks for posting I'll try and swing by and check things out in the next day or so. When this happens there can be tons of trash and junk left behind sometimes. I'll pass word on to the maintainer.
    Often Accused, Often Guilty but Seldom Guilty of What I am Accused.

My son and girlfriend arrived there Saturday evening 5/8/10 after dark and the fellow was described as having shaggy hair, Tom Sawyer hat and trench coat was there with his hungry but friendly dog. They tented as they didn't feel comfortable in the shelter. The dog was more than happy to be fed.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
++ New Posts ++