WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default New York thru hike

Looking at a thru hike of New York in 2024. If I start in Greenwood Lakes, what is the best way to break up the first day so I am not traveling 19 miles to Fingerboard shelter? I know there is a shelter at Wildcat 6 miles in, but that is not enough mileage for the first day.
    If I go SOBO- I am looking at 19 miles from William Brien to Fingerboard and 14 miles from Fingerboard to Wild Cat. How jave people broken this up?
    Am I restricted to shelter and camp site only

Images

If you come up the State Line Trail from Greenwood Lake, it's about 9 miles to Wildcat Shelter (1 mi SLT/8 mi AT). There's a big tent site near a stream just north of Lakes Rd, which is about 1.5 mi north of Wildcat. After that, there's really nothing until you enter Harriman State Park. I promise you, having done that section, that 10.5 miles is a good length for the first day. Lots of rock scrambling between the state line and NY 17A will slow you down, and there's more tough stuff between there and Fingerboard. The Lakes Rd tent site also sets you up for a decent 13 mile day to Fingerboard.

LittleRock, thanks
    I should have decent trail legs by then. I am an endurance runner and will be Rucking throughout the spring to get ready.
    Any thoughts SOBO?
    Here are my thoughts:
    Day 2 - Drop off at NY 55 outside of Windale- 10 miles to Telephone Pioneers
    Day 3- 16 miles to RPH Shelter
    Day 4- 11 miles to Dempseytown Road Campsite
    Day 5- 12 miles to Hemlock Springs Campsite
    Day 6- 12 miles to William Brien Shelter
    Day 7- 13 miles to West Mombasa Road
    Day 8- 6 miles to Wildcat Shelter and done

Images

So you're not starting and ending at the state lines? The NY/CT state line is about 7 miles north of NY 55 and the NY/NJ state line is about 8 miles south of Wildcat shelter (6 miles south of NY 17A if that's where you're ending).

From NY 55/22 at Wingdale, it's only 3 miles to Telephone Pioneers. That's fine if you're getting a mid-day start.

Days 3-6 are basically exactly what I did on my section hike (in reverse since I was NOBO), except after seeing how dumpy the William Brien shelter was I opted to push another 2 miles and camp.

There was a reroute last year to avoid the dangerous Palisades Parkway crossing, which adds 2 miles, so it would be 14 from Hemlock Springs to William Brien. The old trail is still there if you don't want to hike an extra 2 miles.

^I think the old trail also has a shelter that is now pretty far away from the new AT for thru hikers (?)
    NoDoz
    nobo 2018 March 10th - October 19th
    -
    I'm just one too many mornings and 1,000 miles behind

Quote Originally Posted by LittleRock View Post
    So you're not starting and ending at the state lines? The NY/CT state line is about 7 miles north of NY 55 and the NY/NJ state line is about 8 miles south of Wildcat shelter (6 miles south of NY 17A if that's where you're ending).
    NY 55 goes east into CT after going north with 22 for a time, and that is the part of the road off of which Hoyt Road (usually referred to as the state crossing line) is (and is still referred to as Wingdale in the AT Data Book I am looking at). From there to Telephone Pioneers is 10.2 miles, so it seems that was the intended starting point.

Not sure on the end, but that might just be showing the last stopover, with the remaining miles to be hiked to the line the next day (rather than trying to make it all 14? miles the 8th day, then have to get somewhere from there once reaching the road/car/shuttle)?

Quote Originally Posted by LazyLightning View Post
    ^I think the old trail also has a shelter that is now pretty far away from the new AT for thru hikers (?)
    Yes, the West Mountain Shelter. Old, no privy, no water, .6 miles off the old trail. Totally worth it though if the skies are clear, for the night view of NYC in the distance. The juxtaposition is so striking. And the sunrise view over the Hudson is pretty cool too.

++ New Posts ++