WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 9 of 16 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast

Thread: thrukillers?

Hippie Hobo Limping Trash Mal the Elder's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by rockhound View Post
    There's a church in Shady Valley that actually revised the 10 commandments. Thou shall not kill is now thou shall not kill without cause. Wonder how god feels about their editing.
    I wonder how that god feels about old King James having the original wording changed to "Thou shalt not kill." In the original (Aramaic) texts it is "You shall not murder." That's a big difference. That Shady Valley church is pretty much the same meaning as the original, so I reckon their god is OK with it. What can I say, bro? . . . .
    Mal
    Florida Trail NOBO 2010
    Big Cypress---Ft. Pickens

Hippie Hobo Limping Trash Mal the Elder's Avatar

Bugger . . . I should have read the whole thread. Oh well . . . .
    Mal
    Florida Trail NOBO 2010
    Big Cypress---Ft. Pickens

Images

Quote Originally Posted by The Weasel View Post
    Actually, not. Enjoy your fantasies, Lone Wolf.
    You're easily knocked off center. That's one of your charming points.
    Just hike.

Quote Originally Posted by Mal the Elder View Post
    I wonder how that god feels about old King James having the original wording changed to "Thou shalt not kill." In the original (Aramaic) texts it is "You shall not murder." That's a big difference. That Shady Valley church is pretty much the same meaning as the original, so I reckon their god is OK with it. What can I say, bro? . . . .
    Thank you Mal & Vibe for your posts. I guess I'll refrain from calling them hypocrites. You have enlightened me.

Quote Originally Posted by Mal the Elder View Post
    The Aramaic is well known among most clergy but most keep tight lipped about it.
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

This thread needs to become relevant to the Appalachian Trail.
    Teej

"[ATers] represent three percent of our use and about twenty percent of our effort," retired Baxter Park Director Jensen Bissell.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by TJ aka Teej View Post
    This thread needs to become relevant to the Appalachian Trail.
    I don't see that happening. Now, should it be locked or moved?
    That's my dog, Echo. He's a fine young dog.

i watched band of brothers for the ??? time the other day....i'd bet every one of those guys could through hike easy.

pun intended.

Images

I don't respond to moonstones threads.
    I'm not really a hiker, I just play one on White Blaze.

Quote Originally Posted by Tinker View Post
    I think we should take the leaders of any two warring states and put them in a locked room without weapons and see how it turns out.
    Heck, forget the locked room, just MAKE them do an entire thru hike together. In the 4-7 months that they spent together on the trail, one of two things would happen:

1: They would find a way to work out their differences.

OR

2. One of the two leaders would probably have a terrible "accident" while on the trail and "disappear".

Either way--the problem would be solved.
    "A vigorous five-mile walk will do more good for an unhappy but otherwise healthy adult than all the medicine and psychology in the world." - Paul Dudley White

...your worst nightmare!
    Journal Entries
    Images

Post On topic...FWIW

21 February 2009

About 10 years ago, I read a PhD. dissertation by Army psychologist Major Jeffrey Stolrow. The selection and training of special operations soldiers is difficult and expensive. Probably at no time do we have enough special operations forces in uniform, and Dr. Stolrow's study was part of an effort to more efficiently identify recruits with a high probability to complete selection courses. Ideally, 100% of those who pass screening would become special operations soldiers, but the failure rates continue to remain high. I recall Dr. Stolrow explaining over the phone that there seemed to chemical markers in the blood that could indicate higher potential for success during selection, and that these markers were related to stress and the ability to stay calm or quickly bounce back after high-stress situations.

But ultimately it would seem that selection is as much art as science. The Special Forces soldiers I have known tend to be nothing like what is portrayed in the movies. Typically, even other Special Forces, and special operations soldiers, would have difficulty picking their own brethren out of a crowd. They almost never "look the part."

Please see "Ultimate Stress Test: Special Forces Training."

--
    Very Respectfully,

Michael Yon
    Sierra Tango Foxtrot Uniform

my dd214 has an award for good conduct period listed on it. i belive its cause i helped my staff sargent to bed drunk one night on guard duty. if i was still in the marines and fighting in a war, i would be useing my appalachian trail skill sets each and every minute to stay motovated. and metaclorians are important to be a real good jedi hiker soldier opps head.i never helped fight more than mailing boots around and shineing generals cars but would say yes in a flat minute to some new special hikeing opps branch trainning. dear lord, i do so want to be james bond rambonater. it sucks being a woosy. but its all i got.
    matthewski

Journal Entries
    Images

I retract my previous statement. Killing any living creature is wrong and just asking for bad kharma. We should all live in peace and harmony with one another. If anyone feels the need to act out in violence, they should meditate or do some primal screaming therapy until that feeling passes. Meat is murder. Free Tibet.
    Right.......uhuh............yep..............sure. ..........

Journal Entries
    Images

OK. Here is a serious post from Rockhound. I know enough to know that I don't truly know anything. I just try to live and let live. I try to help others when I can and at least refrain from hurting others when I can't. If someone says they have all the answers or "the" answer I tend to be skeptical.
    I have the answer, just ask me! LW thinks I am weird though, but I know one thing that being weird is part of the answer!

Quote Originally Posted by The Only Wanderer View Post
    I have the answer, just ask me! LW thinks I am weird though, but I know one thing that being weird is part of the answer!
    yup. you are. taking in hikers who aren't needy is weird

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    yup. you are. taking in hikers who aren't needy is weird
    Yeah and that particular hiker that you are referring to has more than paid his way.............

But I am guilty of aiding the needy ones too.............and for that I am proud to be weird!

ain't no needy hikers. they make a CHOICE to walk

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    ain't no needy hikers. they make a CHOICE to walk
    I will not argue with you here, this thread has been a good one and I am not going to ruin it with you on an argument that is not going to go anywhere..........You want to argue, we can hash it out on Rock's place......

this thread was stupid from the start

Quote Originally Posted by prain4u View Post
    Heck, forget the locked room, just MAKE them do an entire thru hike together. In the 4-7 months that they spent together on the trail, one of two things would happen:

1: They would find a way to work out their differences.

OR

2. One of the two leaders would probably have a terrible "accident" while on the trail and "disappear".

Either way--the problem would be solved.
    That's crazy...then what would you have...peace?

Page 9 of 16 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++