WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Quote Originally Posted by Pokey2006 View Post
    My guess is the mosquitoes in the south aren't as voracious as you might expect because their "season" is longer. Mosquitoes in Alaska are some of the worst, mainly because they don't have long to live, so they have to feed as much as possible before they die. Mosquitoes in the Smokys have a longer life span, so they don't need to be as aggressive. Therefore, you don't notice them as much.

Moving down south from New England, so many people have told me that the mosquitoes here can be bad. However, none of them have ever been to NH in the summer...they don't know bad mosquitoes from Adam!
    nope the skeeter we have down here in Texas have a real good work ethic--they will drain you dry if you give them half a chance. Louisiana is even worse. I went hog hunting once and even with bug spray I looked like I had some chicken pox or something--it was brutal.
    Take almost nothing I say seriously--if it seems to make no sense what so ever it's probably meant as a joke....but do treat your water!

Killed 3 mosquitoes on the Mt Sterling loop last week, there was about an inch of snow in the shady areas still. But they weren't bad/biting.

Images

Default Mosquitoes...no kidding..complicated

Quote Originally Posted by GoldenBear View Post
    I've used the Internet to find info since Gopher was the best search function. Usually, grit and Google{*} allow me to locate a good URL to answer questions like this. However, the question of why certain places have mosquitoes and others don't is apparently a very complicated issue. The best URL I could find was
    www.climas.arizona.edu/research/mosquito/background.html
    where we learn stuff like
    "The life cycle of a mosquito is sensitive to variations and changes in weather and climate conditions. Ae. aegypti lays her eggs ... The eggs will only hatch into larvae when additional water is added to the container and the eggs are re-submerged. ... container must hold water for at least three days to support mosquito development. ... Once hatched, the maturation of the larvae to a pupa and then an adult mosquito is dependent upon a variety of environmental factors, including temperature. Mosquitoes are cold blooded, meaning that their body temperature is similar to the surrounding environment. In the Southwest, high summer temperatures will shorten a mosquito’s life; prolonged below-freezing temperatures will kill the insect. In tandem with weather, a complex set of environmental and social characteristics will influence the abundance of a mosquito population in any given year and location."

It would seem there is no simple answer to this question.
    No kidding.....no wonder we all have our ownn ideas and none seem convincing in and of themselves.... Thanks.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
++ New Posts ++