WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Images

Default No Mosquitoes in Smokies-why and where else?

I've been real curious over the years about why there aren't any mosquitoes in the smoky mountains. I don't know why. The environment seems perfect. Anyone know why this is? Does this extend up the AT very far North? It is so nice and I love hiking there and was wanting to know why and how that can be. Anyone have firsthand or scientific knowledge on this?

I think elevation may have something to do with it.

Images

I've never been there in the middle of the summer. Are there a lot of dragonflies and bats around? They're natural predators. My guess would be the high elevation, cooler temperatures than the valleys, and lack of water sources would be the reason. I've never had mosquito problems in the Mt. Rogers area in the summer, and I would say it's for similar reasons. Also, possibly the high number of pine trees? Mosquitoes can lay their eggs in moist soil, but maybe not in a acidic-soil pine forest. I'm not an ecologist, just brainstorming.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Doxie View Post
    I've never been there in the middle of the summer.
    I have.

Are there a lot of dragonflies and bats around? They're natural predators.
    Now that you mention it, there did seem to be a large number of dragon flies. I didn't see any bats, but then again I tend to sleep when the sun goes down.

Also, possibly the high number of pine trees? Mosquitoes can lay their eggs in moist soil, but maybe not in a acidic-soil pine forest.
    That is a good point!

Tell me, do salamanders eat mosquitoes? Because there are a lot of those in the Smokies, too.

Images

Well, I don't think its elevation. Been to the Wind Rivers in Wyoming? HIGH elevation and TONS of mosquitoes. You're other ideas could be right about forest type? I've gotta know. There are some bats there, but not an extraordinary amount. Anyone with scientific knowledge on it? And how far does this extend up the range?

ultrarunner, long distance hiker, AT enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by maxpatch67 View Post
    Well, I don't think its elevation. Been to the Wind Rivers in Wyoming? HIGH elevation and TONS of mosquitoes. You're other ideas could be right about forest type? I've gotta know. There are some bats there, but not an extraordinary amount. Anyone with scientific knowledge on it? And how far does this extend up the range?
    Haha - set out to do a 4 day in the High Uintas (mostly over 10K) in NE Utah. After the first night, we turned around because everytime you took a breath, you swallowed 5 of those blood-suckers. It was awful.

But all my experiences in the smokies have been mosquito free for the most part. Interesting topic.
    Check out my blog: greggoodson.com
    Friend me on Facebook: facebook.com/greggoodson
    Follow me on Twitter: twitter.com/greggoodson

Images

When I bring people with me for the first time, they won't believe me and insist on bring repellant. I never have an explanation for not having mosquitoes in the mountains there.

1000+ miles down, 1000+ miles to go

Default a theory

When I bring people with me for the first time, they won't believe me and insist on bring repellant. I never have an explanation for not having mosquitoes in the mountains there.
    Perhaps it is an over-abundance of very funky smelling thru hikers.
    So funky that even the mosquitoes turn up their noses.
    "When a man sits with a pretty girl for an hour, it seems like a minute.
    But let him sit on a hot stove for a minute--and it's longer than any hour.
    That's relativity." --Albert Einstein--

great...
    now you jinxed us
    you're welcome...
    -the social invalid

Also, possibly the high number of pine trees?
    There are pleanty of pine trees up north here and pleanty of sketers to go with them. Sketers breed in stagnet water, which you don't see all that much of in the Smokies, at least the part the trial goes through.

On one trip to the Candian Rockies, we had lots of warm weather and the sketers were thick! We had to put our full gortex suit on to cook dinner, as that was the only thing they couldn't bite through! And then get into the tent real quick.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Images

I don't think there is enough standing water, such as lakes or ponds. There is a lot of water in the park. It's just that it's all pretty fast moving streams.

I've been to the Cohutta Wilderness in N.GA a bunch the past 2 years and never had a bite. Something about the region maybe?

I've been real curious over the years about why there aren't any mosquitoes in the smoky mountains. I don't know why. The environment seems perfect. Anyone know why this is? Does this extend up the AT very far North? It is so nice and I love hiking there and was wanting to know why and how that can be. Anyone have firsthand or scientific knowledge on this?
    yup... never had a problem with squitos in the park.

...just those pesky buggers that swarm your head in the summer time. and that's gettin off so easy! considering...

Images

My guess is the mosquitoes in the south aren't as voracious as you might expect because their "season" is longer. Mosquitoes in Alaska are some of the worst, mainly because they don't have long to live, so they have to feed as much as possible before they die. Mosquitoes in the Smokys have a longer life span, so they don't need to be as aggressive. Therefore, you don't notice them as much.

Moving down south from New England, so many people have told me that the mosquitoes here can be bad. However, none of them have ever been to NH in the summer...they don't know bad mosquitoes from Adam!

Images

Oh, and wind could be a factor. If you're up on top of the ridge where a good breeze is blowing, you won't find any mosquitoes.

Images

Great possibilities, everyone, but I'm not convinced yet and still searching. Any experts out there???? Bugologists?????

Registered User Tennessee Viking's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Because they are all attacking the tourists down in Sevierville, Pigeon Forge, and Gatlinburg.

Or too much smog from Knoxville.
    ''Tennessee Viking'
    Mountains to Sea Trail Hiker & Maintainer
    Former TEHCC (AT) Maintainer

I don't know the answer, but it can't be the pine trees. I've camped in pine forest, nothing but pines, and remember being chased in my tent by some of the most aggressive mosquitoes I've ever seen.

I’ve also cleaned out gutters at my mom’s house with nothing but pine needles and being attacked by mosquitoes coming out of the gutter. I don’t think the high acid content of the pine bothers them in the least, they may even thrive in the stuff.

yeah i agree that pines at best have no effect
    one of new jersey's state bird (the mosquito) favorite haunts are the pine barrens...good supply of bats and dragonflies too
    maybe there's some sort of anti-mosquito spraying program we are not aware of
    maybe we're just lucky
    you're welcome...
    -the social invalid

Looking for a comfortable cave to habitate jrwiesz's Avatar
    Images

Mosquitos are bothered by the Smoke!
    "For me, it is better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring."
    Carl Sagan

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++