WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Hostel etiquite

Default Hostel etiquite

This will only apply to a few hikers (I hope) but it is early in the year and there are already instances of people taking advantage of hostel owners' kindness and generosity. Please realize that nobody gets rich running a hostel. They do it for the love of hikers and the trail. There is no excuse for skipping out on a bill or stealing from a hostel. With the economy the way it is there may be an increase of people hiking on a tight budget. Nothing wrong with that. I've done it myself. But if you plan on supplementing your hike through theft I've got news for you. There is a trail grapevine. You will never make it from GA. to ME or ME to GA. before you find yourself shunned by hostels and your fellow hikers or even taken off the trail in handcuffs.

Are you asking thieves not to steal? Yeah, that'll work.

Some days, it's not worth chewing through the restraints.

My guess (and my hope) is that you're preaching to the choir here, and that WBers wouldn't cheat hosteliers.

Good post, Rockhound.

I should add that the same applies to motels, too. These people (the owners) are great friends to hikers, yet every year people actually rip off folks like Ron in Franklin or Brenda in Pearisburg and other people, too. You want to stay in a motel? Then pay for it. Letting your friends sneak in after dark and crash for free isn't cool. It's theft, and the people you're ripping off desrve better.

Actually, John Gault has a point.

Expecting scumbags to stop being scumbags is a tall order.

Which is why hikers have to step in when it comes to other hikers. If you see people (even if they're friends) doing something really wrong, then by all means speak up.

I caught some folks attempting to rip off Ron last year and I tore them a new one.

I assure you it didn't happen again.

Quote Originally Posted by Deadeye View Post
    My guess (and my hope) is that you're preaching to the choir here, and that WBers wouldn't cheat hosteliers.
    For the most part I am preaching to the choir but hopefully if 1 or 2 would be thieves read this they may 1) decide not to hike or 2) get a little character and not steal. A lot to hope for I know.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by john gault View Post
    Are you asking thieves not to steal? Yeah, that'll work.
    Won't work for thieves but might for people who get tempted and don't think it through.
    If you find yourself in a fair fight; your tactics suck.

Quote Originally Posted by sheepdog View Post
    Won't work for thieves but might for people who get tempted and don't think it through.
    Very true. It wont stop your every day thief but it may deter some of those "honest" thieves.

Thieves are easy to spot. They are the ones with excuses and tall tales of why they can't pay right now. Oh woe is me, boo hoo, etc... makes you wanna cry.

Quote Originally Posted by rockhound View Post
    This will only apply to a few hikers (I hope) but it is early in the year and there are already instances of people taking advantage of hostel owners' kindness and generosity. Please realize that nobody gets rich running a hostel.
    Keith Shaw made a ton of money. Nobody skipped out on him. he didn't miss a trick. you walked thru his door, you signed a book with your real name, address, home phone, etc. if a hostel owner gets taken it;s their fault

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    Keith Shaw made a ton of money. Nobody skipped out on him. he didn't miss a trick. you walked thru his door, you signed a book with your real name, address, home phone, etc. if a hostel owner gets taken it;s their fault
    How are supposed to know if that's they're real info, next you'd want Hostel owners to card everyone?
    Mr. Shaw had a point though.
    Just meet em out in the woods and settle it old school. Alot of road crossings out there and forest service roads for that.

Images

ALDHA has organized a yahoogroup of AT Service providers. Every year it gets a little more effective. Believe me, names & stories of the "bad apples" do get shared up and down the trail.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by curtisvowen View Post
    How are supposed to know if that's they're real info, next you'd want Hostel owners to card everyone?
    Carding isn't that extreme an idea. Motels card everyone.

In your case, I know it would be difficult with the way Standing Bear operates, but you could always keep Rockhound busy with checking folks in.
    If people spent less time being offended and more time actually living, we'd all be a whole lot happier!

Actually, I like the idea of people posting the names of these folks so everyone knows who they are.

After all, if you're the kind of person who'd rip off Winton Porter or Ron Haven or Miss Janet, then you'd rip off anyone.

If someone screws up that badly that early in the trip, then let people know who they are....end result is these people won't have a place to hang their hat for the next 2000 miles. They'll end up having very solitary trips, and very short ones. They'll be going home early, and nobody else has to deal with them again.

Which is just fine.

just get your rottie to follow them around...hope you still have dogs ?

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Tarlin View Post
    Actually, I like the idea of people posting the names of these folks so everyone knows who they are.

Isn't this the same action you so strongly opposed when it concerned Crutch?
    I love the smell of esbit in the morning!

Quote Originally Posted by Bearpaw View Post
    Carding isn't that extreme an idea. Motels card everyone.

In your case, I know it would be difficult with the way Standing Bear operates, but you could always keep Rockhound busy with checking folks in.
    I know this was sarcastic but somehow I think I'll be walking around with a clipboard this season. As far as the resupply goes, I'd hate to see the honor system go by the wayside but, as is often the case on the trail, a few bad apples can have a negative effect on everyone else. We'll see.

collect all fees up front as they arrive. no honor system. otherwise no bitchin'

Images

Quote Originally Posted by rockhound View Post
    I know this was sarcastic but somehow I think I'll be walking around with a clipboard this season. As far as the resupply goes, I'd hate to see the honor system go by the wayside but, as is often the case on the trail, a few bad apples can have a negative effect on everyone else. We'll see.
    I agree it would be sad to see the community feeling at SBF go away. It's one of my favorite hostels.
    If people spent less time being offended and more time actually living, we'd all be a whole lot happier!

Names of bad apples can travel over 2100 miles in a matter of hours. Those that need to know will.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++